Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many tries our new govenor Rick Snyder the old Gateway CEO signed into law, you don't have to wear a helmet in Michigan! Not since the early
70's has it been legal to not wear one while riding. His thinking is we will get more tourist traffic since quite a few midwest states already have the no helmet law.

The law allows people age 21 and older to ride without helmets if they have been licensed to operate a motorcycle for at least two years or have passed a safety course. Motorcyclists would be required to buy additional insurance — at least $20,000 of first party medical benefits coverage — in case they are involved in an accident.

My question is do you think it will bring more bikers in, and do you go helmetless if you have the option?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I think it will attract more bikers. Here in NYS I have friends who drive to PA just to take their silly hats off. A few years ago while in Portland, ME I noticed people riding w/o helmets. There is a hotness factor when you see a gorgeous woman throw her leg over a bike and ride away, hair blowing in the wind. That was when I realized that a lot of women who are "afraid to ride" may actually be afraid to deal with helmet hair.

Once on a ride to PA I popped my lid and rode for about 2 hours. I didn't find it liberating, but I did notice that nearly all the PA bikers were wearing helmets. Nearly all the topless riders we saw were sporting NY plates.

If the law in NY changed I probably would occasionally ride w/o, but then I used to think I'd drive w/o a seat belt too. Now I'm uncomfortable driving in a parking lot with out the belt. I think I'd be the same way with a helmet.

·
Registered
224 Posts
As with seat belts in a cage,every state should make it optional for riders 21 and up to wear a helmet or not while riding a bike,just my opinion. I don't think states should impose these restrictions on us....after all its the driver that suffers any consequences.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I'm from Ohio were it's not required to wear one, but have lived in Ga. the past four years and have to wear a helmet. When ever I go back I stop at the rest area just over the Tenn. Ky. state line and replace my helmet with a doo rag. I avoid W.Va. when I'm there just so I dont have to put it back on. Have been to eastern Ga. cpl times and have detoured to S. Carolina just so could ride without it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I always wear a full face and always will. Non-helmet riders make fun of me in the summer and I laugh at them in hail storms.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Here in Kansas, it's your choice. I usually do wear mine, but it's nice to have that choice. I have friends who won't ride to Missouri because you have to have a helmet. Too each their own.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I live in pa and wear mine 99 percent of the time, plus it keaps the wife quiet :) but those crazy hot summer days it's nice to ride without !!

..I Ride a 900 Custom SE..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Of course it makes sense to wear a helmet. I religiously wear a half helmet so I get more air. Why have a motorcycle if you can't enjoy being outside the cage. My helmet has saved me twice from hitting my head while stopped.(loose gravel or oil) My wife nags me if I don't wear it!!!!! Love is a good thing......

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I've always worn a full face helmet, and always will.
I went down HARD on Oct.23,2011 and My helmet (Nolan Trilogy) was wrecked, but IT DID IT'S JOB. I can't say what would have happened to me If I wasn't wearing it, but I know It would have been much worse.
I have a wife, family and company that I feel an obligation to. For me it would be unacceptable to risk it all for something as silly as feeling the wind in my hair..

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
As with seat belts in a cage,every state should make it optional for riders 21 and up to wear a helmet or not while riding a bike,just my opinion. I don't think states should impose these restrictions on us....after all its the driver that suffers any consequences.
There is a difference though. Studies have shown drivers who don't wear seatbelts can lose control of the vehicle from their bodies sliding around from G-forces in an emergency stop or a skid. Also, many people have been killed by passengers flying into them that weren't belted in.

That said, helmets ARE an individual-consequence thing. At the risk of getting a comment out of flywithlloyd :p, I ride with a full face and gear. Doesn't bother me a bit and I enjoy it. But it doesn't bother me if someone else wants to ride around in less or no protection at all. That's their choice. The only time I get bothered is the people who will walk up to you and start arguing with you out of the blue for your gear and helmet, almost like they are self-conscious of their own decision or something. Why do they care if I wear a helmet? I haven't said a word to them but they walk right up and say something like "That thing 'gurnnnnna snap yer neck" or something. Sheesh.

I'm indifferent on the helmet issue. People have basic rights, including to make decisions that put them at more risk than others (i.e., riding a motorcycle period). Just do what you want and quit whining about the guy who does something different!

My $0.02

·
Registered
64 Posts
I always wear my lid, even when I head down into FL. Despite how much the old lady tells me I have a hard head, I think the asphalt may be harder still. For those who do ride without a lid, more power to you. The few times I have had mine off it was really enjoyable.

·
Registered
941 Posts
The debate over whether you should wear a helmet or not is pretty obvious. If you go down you are safer with one. But being forced to wear one is ridiculous.
I like that MI laws changed, and I like how they changed. These states keep touting safety as the reason for the helmet laws. Maybe they should be doing more to encourage safety. And this law helps with that by rewarding people for taking the safety courses and becoming better riders. Now if they could do something like that for the cage only drivers.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm happy about the law change. Helmet wearing (putting yourself at increased risk or not) is a choice that the government doesn't need to be involved in.

·
Banned
102 Posts
My question is do you think it will bring more bikers in, and do you go helmetless if you have the option?
I too live in Ohio where the law is rider's choice except new licensees who have to wear one for a year. I ride to work a lot as it's about a 40 mile commute and my cage is a 5.7L V8. I can count on one hand the number of lids I've seen in 2012. *shrug*

As for me, I wear the exo-900 with the full face on since I don't have any other windshield.

As for Michigan, since there's a Cabela's in Wheeling that's close to me, no I won't be coming up. ;)

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
76 Posts
I live in Iowa, no helmet required, took an MSF course, am over 21 and still wear a full face helmet every time I ride out of the driveway. I have moved the bike around in the yard without one but if a bug hurts at 20 MPH, I don't want to know what one feels like in the face at 55+. I have bruises on my legs from june bugs. It might be cool to ride topless but I don't think it would be cool to explain that you wrecked becuase a bug hit you in the forehead and knocked you off the bike.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I think it will increase your tourism at least a little -freedom attracts people.

A FF helmet saved my life when I totaled my Nomad in '07. But I believe we should all be able to choose to wear a helmet or not. I enjoy riding without a helmet but I ALMOST always wear one. I have a FF for winter and a 3/4 for Summer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think we have too many laws as it is and it should not be the government's call to tell me if I should wear protective gear or use a seat belt.

That being said, I do wear full face helmet and all protective gear (pants, jacket, gloves, boots) even in summer time.... but I'm the safety conscious type and it's my choice (helmet not required in SC). The jacket's even one of those bright neon yellow ones you can see from space. Maybe it's not the coolest look, but if I end up on someones windshield, they can't tell the cop they didn't see me :D

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think we have too many laws as it is and it should not be the government's call to tell me if I should wear protective gear or use a seat belt.

That being said, I do wear full face helmet and all protective gear (pants, jacket, gloves, boots) even in summer time.... but I'm the safety conscious type and it's my choice (helmet not required in SC). The jacket's even one of those bright neon yellow ones you can see from space. Maybe it's not the coolest look, but if I end up on someones windshield, they can't tell the cop they didn't see me :D
I hear ya. I ride in red from shoulders to ankles, for the same reason. Sometimes I feel kinda dorky, like today at the VA hospital when somebody asked me if I was going skiing (in Missouri) but I'd rather be alive than stylish. All the cool Vietnam Veteran bikers ride Harleys and wear black leathers (and wear those little make-believe beanie helmets that are about a quarter of an inch thick) and I figure what have I got to lose. They already look down their noses at my Metric Cruiser, I might as well go whole, um, hog.

My state's got a helmet law, and I think it's a crummy idea. The excuse is that the state has a right to keep bareheaded riders from becoming burdensome wards of the state in case of an accident. Shoot, they're not so likely to become wards of the state. They get in a serious accident they probly won't even collect their Social Security or Medicare, help out the Federal Budget too. As long as they can't make me take my helmet off I got no need to make them put one on. Which if I don't misread this forum is a general consensus here.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts