Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a vn1500 Meanstreak which has new Michelin Pilot Sport tires fitted. I have them at 36 psi (Manual recommended for OEM). I find the bikes steering to be too fast when turning or going around roundabouts, and find myself struggling to stop the steering turning in on itself, as if the front tire is over inflated and making poor contact with the road. Has anybody used these tires and could give some feedback on what the correct tire pressure should be for the front?, or any 'Meanie' owners that have experienced similar with the steering?

·
Registered
359 Posts
What size is the front tire?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It's a 130/70 R17 I feel like I want to lower the pressure from 36 to around 30 psi, but don't want to cause damage to the tire by running it under-inflated. I only ride solo.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Don't have that bike nor tires, but in using different brands on my crotch rocket I've noticed some have noticeably different turn-in / tip-in characteristics. I first really noticed it when I went from Dunlop something or another to Continental Road Attacks. The RAs had much quicker turn-in and that same initial feeling like you're going over type of thing but then they transitioned into a good easy to hold line. Guess maybe like the had a compound curve profile. More aggressive at first then easing up.

Once I got accustom to them I began to rather like the relative ease of it. Anyway, point being, it might just be a more aggressive profile/nature of the tire. Personally, I think significant underinflation isn't the right approach but ultimately your decision.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
30 is too low for the front tire, put 33 in there or 34, 30 is too low

1 - 5 of 5 Posts