Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to give my two cents worth on anyone wanting to put new tires on their bike.
I had the Michelin Commander 2 put on my bike. The front 130/90/16 the back 170/80/15 replacing the Dunlap's which I put 9,000 miles on.
With 500 miles on the tires I am really pleased with them. They are more quiet, better tracking especially over grooved pavement. The increase in hight of the rear tire did give a notable decrease in rpm. Cruising on the interstate is much better.
Enjoy the Ride!!!!

Keithinpa

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt.
I did want to mention the speedometer is within 2 MPH. I haven't gone across any grated bridges yet.

Enjoy the Ride!!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Please post how the mileage and handling effects the tires when you get more miles on it. I currently run Pirelli MT 66 Route and have a little over 16,000 miles on this set. The rear,technically, should be changed but the front tire has a little more life left in it. I was considering going with the Michelin's since they say that they will double the mileage of their competitors(i.e. Dunlop and metzler me880) but I think I have already come close to doing that with these tires!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RTL Rider,
I will give an up date later. I'm in Pa. so I will not be putting a whole lot of miles on them till the end of Oct. mid Nov.
I put almost 9,000 mi on my stock Dunlap's, the rear tire was done but I still had mileage left on the front.
One additional note why I chose the Michelin was the load rating. When I ride the wife is usually on with me.

Enjoy the Ride!!!!
Keithinpa

·
Registered
197 Posts
RTL Rider - I just switched over to the Pirelli MT66 (170/80/15), corrected my speedometer
to dead on to my GPS. Hoping to get more miles than the stock Dunlops. Sounds encouraging from your stats.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I had contacted Pirelli about tire pressures when I first got the MT66's and they emailed me a pressure chart for their different tires. They said nthey always recommend the higher pressures for longer lasting tires,but that will depend on the individuals riding habits and preferences. I don't do alot of twisties in mountains,etc.....mainly regular road /highway riding so I have kept my rear at 40 psi and front at 36-38psi. They have lasted alot longer than other brands I have tried and will definitely get another set of the same when I am ready......may go with the 170/80/15 to correct speedo like you said

·
Registered
197 Posts
I hear you - always ran Mechelin on the cages for years - excellent mileage! Being somewhat new to 2 wheelers, I gleaned a lot helpful info from this forum and decided on the Pirelli brand and increased size for the speedometer fix. There's some really good folks here that know share their knowledge from experience! I expect the Michelins will live up to your expectations!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I do the same - highways, country roads, etc. Same psi as you - good, I'm doing something right! I'm in central NC - love the area! Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
273 Posts
rear tire

I like PA Keith went with the taller Pirelli on back and am pleased with the results. I notice a big difference in the interstate riding with lower RPM's too. Can't really notice it's quieter or better handling though I'm sure it's just as good as the Dunlop. I got a little over 7k on the original but got too nervous when it got down to the end too keep on riding, not telling how much longer it would have gone?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts