Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What milage are you getting for your MC2 tires.

On my Vulcan 900 custom I got 5,500 miles out the the stock Dunlop rear tire before it was bald, front tire still had some tread but replaced both with MC2s. I got about 8k miles on the MC2 front tire before it needed replacing and about 12k on the rear MC2.

Keep front at 40 psi (spec) and rear at 36 psi (slightly higher than spec). Most riding is back country roads 40-60 mph with a fair number of twisty roads. I think the front tire worn out sooner than I had anticipated due to the twisty mountain roads I often ride which puts a lot of additional stress of the front tire.

I am getting double the milage out of the MC2 as compared to the Dunlop but nowhere near the 25k+ miles that are claimed possible with the MC2.

WB

·
Registered
251 Posts
I bought my 2005 1600 Nomad with MC2's on I have put over 10,000 miles on it and the tires are still good for a few more miles. I don't know how many miles were on the tires when I purchased it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
What milage are you getting for your MC2 tires.

On my Vulcan 900 custom I got 5,500 miles out the the stock Dunlop rear tire before it was bald, front tire still had some tread but replaced both with MC2s. I got about 8k miles on the MC2 front tire before it needed replacing and about 12k on the rear MC2.

Keep front at 40 psi (spec) and rear at 36 psi (slightly higher than spec). Most riding is back country roads 40-60 mph with a fair number of twisty roads. I think the front tire worn out sooner than I had anticipated due to the twisty mountain roads I often ride which puts a lot of additional stress of the front tire.

I am getting double the milage out of the MC2 as compared to the Dunlop but nowhere near the 25k+ miles that are claimed possible with the MC2.

WB
Exedras and Dunlops got only 8k rear and 12k front. I've always used Dunlop for their superior traction. I ride like i stole it every day in central Virginia all year. Put Michelin Commander II on this spring and have 8k on them & they still look like new. However, first rainy day the front tire slipped on a simple lane chage. Gunned it pulling out a deck to beat traffic and spun the rear. That's HARD rubber, giving less traction in wet and cold, like I never worried about or noticed with Dunlop. Now I'm really careful on full turns & braking. Nice they look like they'll go 16k, but I'm on the fence about going back to Dunlop when these are done. I was tired of getting 1 or 2 tires every year, but I enjoyed max handling & performance from soft, gummy dunlops. Hmmm.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hmmm, you could have something there Wbucks, wifes bike with MC2s lost traction and ass end started sliding in the rain, I have never had that happen with the Excedras on mine and I don't shy away from the brakes or the throttle too much when its raining.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hmmm, you could have something there Wbucks, wifes bike with MC2s lost traction and ass end started sliding in the rain, I have never had that happen with the Excedras on mine and I don't shy away from the brakes or the throttle too much when its raining.
Right. It's a heavy bike. Should be Very tough to break traction. Then again we have some power and torque, but not on a lane change. I'll see how this winter goes.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
so dunlops are better for grip?

·
Registered
232 Posts
so dunlops are better for grip?
Absolutely, Dunlops hold the road best, no question. Last 3 bikes all Dunlop, only put one down leaning when the shift bracket made contact. On the Nomad, I wore the entire tire out side to side even with never a slip.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I got 13K miles from the rear tire on MC IIs on a former bike, a Honda Magna V4, which I rode hard...the front tire showed almost no wear in that same distance..

·
Registered
232 Posts
I got 13K miles from the rear tire on MC IIs on a former bike, a Honda Magna V4, which I rode hard...the front tire showed almost no wear in that same distance..
No question the Michelin wear much better, but with much less traction compared to Dunlop.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have 13000 on the frt MC2 and almost 20k on the rear. Its almost done, but somewhat hard to tell. Ride a vaquero fairly easy.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
that's pretty good az, how's the grip on them?

·
Registered
55 Posts
No problems. Not much of a lean angle on this bike, but it always feels planted. Wont even consider another tire at this point...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts