Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been pretty set on switching to Metzlers when these Dunlops finally wear out. Mostly because I don't want to swap tires every couple of months. I heard a comment though, from a guy who said that they did poorer in the rain than the Dunlops, attributing it to being a harder compound. Any truth in that? Anyone notice any difference in handling, stopping performance, or otherwise in any other situation with the Metzelers?

-John

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm sure there are better wet-traction tires, but the Metzeler ME880's are still waaay better than the stock Dunlops. Heck, those stockers don't even feel properly planted on dry pavement!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have switched to Metzeler M880 front and rear (170x80x15), I have found that handling on dry or wet is much better, I commute every day and go on long rides now and then.
I am not sure if the rubber is harder but using the same roads I can feel the difference, especially on the bad parts and tram lines.
They are a bit more expensive but I will definitely stick with Metzeler.
My pressure is 32 front 36 rear.

·
Registered
210 Posts
We have switched to Metzlers on the wifes 900. Much, much better in every category. I will never go back to the stockers. She has nearly the same mileage as the stockers had and still have plenty of tread. And they handle better.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
On my trip this year, 3 days were spent in riding in heavy rain ... from detroit to denver ... I had no issues. I use the metz recommended preasures. Btw I still have the dunlop on the front, just the metz
200 on the rear. Correct preasures are paramount to handling in any weather.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I have Metzlers on front and back. Changing my front out at 22,000 and rear 180/70 at around 12,000. Have ridden in the Arkansas rain for 3 days straight and a 4,000 mile west (sturgis) on the same tires, and just set-up for a new set on Tuesday of next week. I don't think they are any better gripping than the Dunlops, but they sure last a lot longer....

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well sounds good folks. I'm convinced then! A few thousand miles left on the Dunnies, then I'll be going on to the Metz!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Bridgestones?

I keep hearing bad things about the stock Dunlops. I'm wondering if that's why my 2011 has Bridgestones as stock tires. Did Kawi get smart or does anyone feel the Bridges are actually worse than the Dunlops? I'm kinda new to modern biking but so far I have no complaints about my stock Bridestones after a few hundred miles. Comments anyone?

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
Well sounds good folks. I'm convinced then! A few thousand miles left on the Dunnies, then I'll be going on to the Metz!
Um, just a thought, uh, if you're looking for extended mileage from your tires, well, there's this 'cult' that claims they get 20k to 40k on their tires. I think they're called Darksiders. Just a rumor I heard about. (hehehe)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I have no complaints about my ME880s but I can't really compare them to the Dunnies. They were burned smooth before the bike was broken in properly.

A friend of mine went over to the dark side with his Rocket III. He gets around 10k now, but that bike was only getting 4k on Metzlers and he didn't want to replace his rear rubber twice a year.

I got 15k out of my first ME. It still had a little life in it but that stupid stock valve stem wouldn't hold air so I went ahead put the new tire on with the new stem.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I keep hearing bad things about the stock Dunlops. I'm wondering if that's why my 2011 has Bridgestones as stock tires. Did Kawi get smart or does anyone feel the Bridges are actually worse than the Dunlops? I'm kinda new to modern biking but so far I have no complaints about my stock Bridestones after a few hundred miles. Comments anyone?
I have a 2007 900 classic Lt and have the bridgestones with about 12500 miles on them.Still lacks about 4/32 until i hit the wear marks.I'm waiting on my rear scootworks pulley and when it comes in i'm going back to the bridgestone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tires

I had the orginal Birdgestone that came on my 2011 Voyager and went to Metzlers I think stock front stayed the same 130/90/16 but went to the 180/65B/16 with the rear. I did this with my 2009 Nomad with excellent results. I will never go back to orginals.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Love my Metz ME880's. Ride is different than the stock Dunlops. Better grip and ride quality, noise is lower also. Got rained on one morning coming home from work and I can tell you. It grips darn good on wet pavement. I was on the highway. No way I was stopping under an underpass. Had to get home.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I've got the ME880 on my rear only. The stock Dunlop will be changed to a ME880 in a couple more months. I love the way the ME880 handles, dry or wet. Just keep your air pressure where it's supposed to be and life will be good. I will be sticking with Me880s from now on.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I keep hearing bad things about the stock Dunlops. I'm wondering if that's why my 2011 has Bridgestones as stock tires.
I think cuz the Classic SE has whitewalls, and I don't think Dunlop has whitewalls in rear size. I was actually looking at getting the Bridgestones put on last year cuz I wanted whitewalls, and they made the 180 in whitewalls. But the indieshop who was going to mount them (he doesn't sell tires, works out of his house a little more unbiased then I would think) said that the Metzelers have a better compound for grip. I think he said it was a higher silica amount (not sure on that) He also 'said' that the tires that the manufactures get for stock build may be the same model that you can buy later, but sometimes they are lower quality as regards grip.

I am curious to know if those new Bridgestone Exedra Max are any good.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Um, just a thought, uh, if you're looking for extended mileage from your tires, well, there's this 'cult' that claims they get 20k to 40k on their tires. I think they're called Darksiders. Just a rumor I heard about. (hehehe)
I am devastated poke they didnt take the bait......bd

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I've looked into that and it seems fairly reasonable but, better or worse everyone seems to agree it CHANGES the way the bike handles and this is my first bike (period, never did dirt bikes), so I'm wanting to keep it consistent until I have considerable experience on the road. I'd rather not end up in a situation I've never dealt with before on a bike that's handling differently than I had been used to. That was part of the reason for this thread. If I had a reason to believe the ME's would considerably change the handling of my bike I'd probably do one more round with the Dunlops.

Sure does drive me nuts though, the fact that none of these m/c tire manufacturers can seem to make tires capable of that kind of mileage... I'm not an engineer but I have to think that it's possible, and if it is, the first one to come out with a set of motorcycle-profile tires capable of 40k+ like cars (I have almost 100k on a set of pirellis on my car. Granted they are gonna get replaced in the next few weeks.. but still... that's a lot of miles!), ought to make a killing. Unless they gripped like butter they would become the de facto standard of anyone who had a bike that particular manufacturer made that tire for. Can you imagine a set of tires rated to go say 50,000 miles with handing similar to the Dunlops or Metzelers? Who WOULDN'T buy them. Even if they were $300 a pop you'd come out ahead...

Okay, rant over :p

-John

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Romers, the Metz are about as clos to that description as possible.. for the moment. No they don't get 40k, or even 20k, but they are known to go 2x mos others unless you are jus a hooligan. They handle bett'r n las longer is why you have so many testify is thier defacto choice. Many/mos these fellas only ride 6-12k yr. tires can las 1-2yrs for them. I useta ride 4 bikes and go thru half dozen+ tires yr. I buy my Metz at www.cyclegear.com 2wice yr tire sale (a store near me) for price of a rear get a free front. Buy em like oil n filters in bulk.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts