Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes... I am a die hard Dark Side kind of guy.

But......

After reading some on the ME888 tires I just HAD to try one on the rear. Couldn't help myself. I was about ready for a new CT anyway.

So got the tire today from Amazon for $178. Free shipping, two day delivery. Tomorrow I will get it changed I think. At least I have an appointment to get it changed... I think.... Will see anyway.

I did the Dyna beads when I put the new front on last month and will put them in the rear too. I go to a small independent shop that only does MC tire changes and oil changes. (Mostly HD of course) He only charges 20 bucks to change the tire and 4 bucks for the beads if you bring him the tire. Otherwise it is 40 bucks and 4 bucks for the beads.

Getting the rear tire off is not hard at all.... I did it 3 years ago and forgot how I did it. (thats how long the CT lasted) But I got it off no problem. The way I got the shocks off was a lot easier this time. Just lower it down after you get the shocks off and the axle is way below the saddle bag/trailer hitch metal....

DSCN1634.jpg

DSCN1635.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Wow, I'm shocked Bubba. Thought you were going to try the Yokohama tire.
Oh well good luck with it.

Oh after looking back at your letters I see now that you were talking about the rear tire.
Hmm lol

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Lookin' Good! Will be interesting to hear your experience too as not many 'return' from the dark side.

But my goodness; that looks like a lot of work! I'd rather just give the guy the extra $20! LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not returned from the Dark Side... I am only trying out a new Metezler tire.... and I will go back when this thing only gets 6000 miles too.

I will try the Yokohama CT next time. I wanted to try the new ME888, and my other scoots all have new tires...

Actually the only hard thing about taking it apart and putting back was the mufflers because of the Marvellas hitch. It was not an "exact match" for the bolt holes and I have to clamp/force/hog/jam/beat it over some to get the holes to line up for the muffler bolts. Thats even after I elongated 4 holes that the bolts that hold the mufflers go through. That took longer than putting the wheel back on..

I have put about 25 miles on it with some of it on a twisty country road I live next to. It holds the pavement very well. It has a lot of meat on the carcass. the tread is first knuckle deep. If you could get your knuckle in what few grooves there are.

·
Registered
637 Posts
There was a couple of us down under VROCers planning on trying Darkside... and one already gone that way on his '08 Nomad.

And then we saw this recent NZTA release... And seven words changes everything.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that your vehicle code section for NZ? Like a new law change?

I know people in NZ.........

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
There was a couple of us down under VROCers planning on trying Darkside... and one already gone that way on his '08 Nomad. And then we saw this recent NZTA release... And seven words changes everything.
well that certainly the Gov up your azz.. if the libs get their way here, we too will be mere puppets with Gov hand up ours.. more than already.

butt, as for changing out tires CT's to MT's and back.. some of us actually Enjoy Wrenching on our.. machines. I have two whole rear end set ups and swap them out back and forth as often as I have differing riding needs,, on this sled.. CT for the long distance running,, MT when I want to play in the canyons.. but then agin I have 3 differnt bikes and each is suited for differnt kind of riding. poncho

Attachments

·
Registered
637 Posts
Is that your vehicle code section for NZ? Like a new law change?

I know people in NZ.........
Yep... NZTA is the road transport authority down here. Darkside is rare in NZ, so I'm not sure why they've identified it as an issue. But I imagine that some MC tire wholesaler / importer has lobbied for that change to protect their income.

I get my tires imported from outside NZ, and can pay half what they cost here shipping included. Some brands are more difficult to get sent here, and that's just because the distributor has to follow orders from the manufacturer over where in the world he can send them... Each has his own patch to protect.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did a 300 or so mile lunch run today with my STAR Touring & Riding group.

That ME 888 seems to live up to its claim as a good handling tire. I hate to admit it, but that was one of the best ride I have had on the back twisties in a while. The tire is a little taller than the CT I was running so I did not drag my muffler tips hard intersection type corning any today even though I did the floor boards a few times.

It felt like I was glued to the road. Road cracks going your direction ot split pavement patches, or all the other things we have on these crappy roads her did not phase it any. Even going into a road split crevasse in a curve that was two inches uneven side to side and almost as wide as the tire, it just dropped in and came/climed right out and did not "follow" it. I din't eve need to slow down or make any steering "OH CRAP!" corrections.

But even with the deep tread, and thicker carcass, only time will tell if it is really a high mileage tire like Metezler is claiming. From what I have seen and experienced so far on the Voyagers, I have my doubts.

So far it seems to be a good tire. Even the wife said it was a lot smoother ride today on those rough roads.

And that is with a NON ME 888 tire on front, although it is fairly new also with 1000 miles on it.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
well that certainly the Gov up your azz.. if the libs get their way here, we too will be mere puppets with Gov hand up ours.. more than already.

butt, as for changing out tires CT's to MT's and back.. some of us actually Enjoy Wrenching on our.. machines. I have two whole rear end set ups and swap them out back and forth as often as I have differing riding needs,, on this sled.. CT for the long distance running,, MT when I want to play in the canyons.. but then agin I have 3 differnt bikes and each is suited for differnt kind of riding. poncho
Poncho, that is one nice looking Chieftain you got there! Please give us a review on it.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yes... I am a die hard Dark Side kind of guy.

But......

After reading some on the ME888 tires I just HAD to try one on the rear. Couldn't help myself. I was about ready for a new CT anyway.

So got the tire today from Amazon for $178. Free shipping, two day delivery. Tomorrow I will get it changed I think. At least I have an appointment to get it changed... I think.... Will see anyway.

I did the Dyna beads when I put the new front on last month and will put them in the rear too. I go to a small independent shop that only does MC tire changes and oil changes. (Mostly HD of course) He only charges 20 bucks to change the tire and 4 bucks for the beads if you bring him the tire. Otherwise it is 40 bucks and 4 bucks for the beads.

Getting the rear tire off is not hard at all.... I did it 3 years ago and forgot how I did it. (thats how long the CT lasted) But I got it off no problem. The way I got the shocks off was a lot easier this time. Just lower it down after you get the shocks off and the axle is way below the saddle bag/trailer hitch metal....
For that price I hope it lasts you a long while. I recently put a ME888 on the front and so far I am liking how it handles. Almost NO flex at all in the corners.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have VN1700 voyager 2012. after 2000miles i have put ME888 front and rear and i love them, great tyres, no problem cornering and no problem in rain.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did 240 miles yesterday in a downpour all the way. I was going the same direction the storm was. The ME888 did well even with a few hydroplanes...

·
Registered
23 Posts
ME888 tire size?

What ME888 tire size do you recommend to replace the ME880 with? Metzler has the front tire but I can't find a direct match for the rear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts