Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok another tire thread..

I am looking at new tires.. (kinda passed due, have 9k on the OEMs and the front is looking kinda weak) My bike is a kinda stock 2011 Custom SE.

I have narrowed it down to the
Metzeler ME 880 200/70 r15
or the
Metzeler ME 880 170/80 r15

the 200 is a $100 US more then the 170, is the wider tire worth it? or is it just aesthetics?

·
Registered
23 Posts
IMO, the 200 smoothed out my ride and because it's taller, I get to go faster with lower RPMs. That equals out even a little better gas mileage.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I went with the 200. IMO wider tire = smoother ride. Also I like the looks and because its wider...it matches my backside. LOL

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
May not relate to this topic, but I put an ME880 on my 800 a couple months ago and had a balancing issue with it I couldnt fix with the weights I had. Finally took to a local shop to have done today, and it took 7 ounces to balance it. Its a 140/90/16 manufactored in Brazil with date code of 19 12. I believe that would be around the middle of 2012? I have it mounted with the dot next to the valve stem.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I like my 200 but I've never ridden a 170 for comparison. When it needs to be replaced, unless I find a real steal on a 170 I'll probably get another 200.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Click 'search' up the top of the page.
Type in 'Tire 200'.
If you think you're indecisive now, wait 'til you read the ten pages of of other threads there ...
My 2 cents worth? I got one, it looks good and feels good. Enough reasons for me to recommend.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Dont like the price a 200 metz, check out the 200 pirelli, its cheaper, both will drop the rpm, correct the speedometer and give far better milage than the stockers.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Just curious: are there any issues with mounting the 200 tire on a wheel assembly intended for a 180 tire?
no issues that I have heard of, on my custom, its a straight install, on my classic, I used the original tube. I will replace the tube and spoke liner with the next tire replacement on the classic ... kind of a 2 to 1 ratio.

You can mount up to a 230 on these rims with some modification to the fender liner and belt guard. While the 230 will drop the rpm even further than the 200, it will also upset the accuracy of the speedo, like showing a speed of say 60mph, where you are actually doing 60 mph plus. Its a lot of rubber, but I do like the wide look of it.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
While I have the Classic LT instead of the Custom, I will say that when my original rear was done (around 10K) I replaced it with a Perilli 170/80/R15 (Was the only one they had in stock at the time). The Speedo was closer to actual. I replaced my rear tire again this morning. this time I went with a Michelin Commander II in 170/80/R15. They are 1/2 the cost of an ME880 and reviewed just as well. Tread duration is still in dispute.

I am happy with the 170, at 65mph indicated, my GPS is reading 63. I just can't justify doubling my cost for a wider tire, "just for looks".

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dranzaz how do you like the Michelin so far?
I have always used Michelins on my cars, and I selected the Metzelers because everyone here seams to love them.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Dranzaz how do you like the Michelin so far?
I have always used Michelins on my cars, and I selected the Metzelers because everyone here seams to love them.
I put a Michelin Commander II on the front last year. I just went through an inspection this morning and it still passed the tread depth test even with 10K miles on it. It has good wet weather traction. The rear tire I put on this morning will be the first Michelin on the rear. If it's anything like the front I am sure I will love it. Independant testing showed they had one of the highest wear durations available for the cost.

I will know more after this weekend how I like the handling when I hit the road for a long ride. But after the 45 mile ride this morning I am pleased so far.

You are right, many here are fans of the Metzelers. They have a proven track record. The Commander II's are a relatively newer tire.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Hilarious. I think because the Michelin Commander II was mentioned so many times in this post the ad at the top of the page for me is the Michelin Commander II.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL well, I went for the Michelins, should be here mid week.
got the 170s the 200s look cool, but just couldn't get over the $100 extra for them LOL.

·
Registered
11 Posts
no issues that I have heard of, on my custom, its a straight install, on my classic, I used the original tube. I will replace the tube and spoke liner with the next tire replacement on the classic ... kind of a 2 to 1 ratio.

You can mount up to a 230 on these rims with some modification to the fender liner and belt guard. While the 230 will drop the rpm even further than the 200, it will also upset the accuracy of the speedo, like showing a speed of say 60mph, where you are actually doing 60 mph plus. Its a lot of rubber, but I do like the wide look of it.
Hi Whiting57. I have an "06 Classic" the rear rim is a 4.5. Just wondering if that is the same rim you have a 200 on?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Hi Whiting57. I have an "06 Classic" the rear rim is a 4.5. Just wondering if that is the same rim you have a 200 on?
I would assume so, I'm not at home this week so I can not go and measure it for you.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
If you are speaking about a stock rim, then yes. I just installed a 200/70 on my stock rim ('10 Classic should be the same rim) with no issue. Really like the look and ride of the larger tire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you are speaking about a stock rim, then yes. I just installed a 200/70 on my stock rim ('10 Classic should be the same rim) with no issue. Really like the look and ride of the larger tire.
Thankyou both for getting back to me. Bosco, that is encouraging news. will post some pics as soon as I figure out how to drive this site. thanx again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts