Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put an me 880 rear tire on my 900 vulcan classic an was checking some air presures...i have seen anywhere from 38 to 50 lb.....I ride alot of two up so metzler suggests 48 to 50 lbs for heavy two up driving...... does this sound like alot of air pressure for a rear tire

·
Registered
782 Posts
No, not really. I ride solo always and have mine set to 38-40psi. For 2-up I could see running in the mid to upper 40's. As long as Metzler says it is okay to run the pressure, I would do it. I think the idea with bike tires is to put in enough pressure so that the tire doesn't deform as much when loaded. If the tire keeps its proper shape, it will last longer and probably work the turns a little better. Of course a harder tire (higher pressure) will also ride a little stiffer. You will feel the bumps a little more. I think that is why Kawasaki has the pressures so low on new bikes. They want to give you a smooth ride on your new baby.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Check the side of the tire. Inflation pressure is listed there as 45 PSI but I don't remember the weights listed there. I just put the 880 rear tire on my 08-900....... Rides great and feels better at 45 than at 30.......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts