Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, with the riding season coming up in Central Canada, I need to get to work on my bike soon! So far, I know I need to replace one of my fork seals (both, to save time in the future and because they're sold in pairs), possibly my rear brake shoes (going to check the brake fluid first to see if its low, cause they don't function as well anymore, only 11k on the bike. I think thats getting up there, though.) And my tires are a bit aged and about at replacement time.

So I'm going to be needing to get myself a jack, or find a way to get it up off the ground and stable. It's a 2006 EN500, unmodified (as far as I can tell), so it has the exhaust headers that stick out past the frame. I've heard folks say that so long as a stand has adequate padding and weight distribution, the headers are fine to lift by, but I figure I ought to be safe.

I dont want to spend a fortune, as I dont have money to be throwing around, but I think I could warrant spending up to maybe 100 CAD$, 150 maybe, I'm sure it'll get it's fair use.

Appreciate any help provided, and also any tips or tricks with any of the work that I'm going to be doing, thanks guys and gals!

Cheers,
Alex L.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Dont lift by the exhaust.
I dont have a process yet for the front, But have read of others lifting by the handlebars.
Others will fill in what you need.

·
Super Moderator
4,137 Posts
Hi Alex. When was the last time you replaced the brake fluid? As far as the jack, there are many models and many opinions from forum members. I paid up and bought a heavy duty lift because I knew It would last a long time. I had to modify mine because it hit the engine on 900. I used hockey pucks and epoxied them to the lift rails. Worked perfect. Am sure you will get many answers to your question. Here is a couple of searches from this forum for plenty of reading. Be well and Ride Safely.

·
Registered
'05 800B
2,110 Posts
for my '05 800 I bought a Kodiak lift, it's a manual handle jack that lifts the rear wheel at the frame just behind the motor,

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
244 Posts
There is a thread here somewhere regarding the same issue with the 500.
I remember what the Jack looks like as he linked to it on Amazon..I will dig around for it after a while..
It is a platform jack..screw scissor operated..it had to 'pegs' that you put in the holes in the platform..those pegs had a channel in them to cradle the frame.

Edit
Add link
Here is one..with some digging you can find em a few bucks cheaper...say five bucks..this one does have the lock though

Edit
Add link...the first one has lock ..second one doesn't.

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use a motorcycle floor lift. Some 2x4 cut down to touch the frame sides and some under the engine. Lift the entire bike , jack stands on rear swing arms and front of frame and release just a little pressure off the jack. 4 jack stands will keep the bike super sturdy once it's off the ground.

·
Registered
'05 800B
2,110 Posts
you can also use a piece of 2x4 wood under the motor/frame when using a car jack

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry to revive an old post, but I've done some searching and googling. Those wheel stand/spool lifts that lots of folks use for sports bikes seem like they'd work fine with the Vulcan, my only tentative thought is if the weight distribution will be okay, given that it has a longer wheelbase than crotch rockets do...

this is what I'm referring to, it has front supports designed to rest under what looks like the forks, where they meet the axle, so if I can get the front end up on the stand, I can get some 2x4's and 4x4's under the engine for support so I can service the forks and wheel.

That is... IF the weight isn't too far back. As for the rear, it looks like it wouldn't fit to the swing arm with the muffler in the way, but if I read it correctly, the Vulcan's muffler can be easily removed by taking out three bolts on both sides, meaning thats not an issue. So it sounds like this stand should work fine, and for 129 CAD, it's at least worth a try. Prime provides free returns, I think, so it won't be a loss.

Will update you all when I get them if they work or not! Sounds like a few people used them on other Vulcan models and Rebel's so I shouldn't have an issue.

Cheers for all the recommendations, though! I'll keep them in mind if all else fails!

(y)🤙

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to revive a dead post once more, but I can confirm the stands that I bought work flawlessly with my Vulcan 500 '06.
You DO have to remove the mufflers from both sides, but it works without issue, you do need to stick some blocks under the bike frame if you're going to work on the forks, of course.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts