Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just took possession of a bran new 2010 Vulcan 900 Custom SE. I live on a gravel road and this bike, like all things, seems to attract dust. Can someone clue me in on some cleaning supplies and possibly some kind of detail spray that I can use on the flat and glossy bits of the bike? I have chrome polish and regular polish and waxes for paint but have nothing used to care for flat finishes.

Also. I have, and sometimes use, some self drying soap and rinse. Would this be OK to use on the bike or would the self drying agents cause issue with the flat paint?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Reset. I also have the 2010 se, and have the same problem as you do, I use a regular spray wax on the glossy parts and just leave the flat alone, other than soap and water. When it gets dusty I'll just wipe it down gently with wet lint free rag.

But I was curious last year and applied thin coat of wax to the front fender just to see. It gave it like a satin finish I guess, and I kind of liked it so I did the whole bike, looked nice. (Also was the spray wax.)

And I have looked for waxes for dull finishes but have yet to find anything. But maybe someone on the thread knows of something or a trick or 2.!! There's gotta be something out there.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
224 Posts
I regularly use Meguiar's Quik(mist and wipe) Detailer on my bike.Good on chrome,plastic and paint and really makes the bike look like you just washed/waxed it.Except for getting caught up in the rain while riding,my bike hasn't seen soap and water in over a year. Just use a few lint free cleaning cloths.I used to wash,wax and polish the whole bike,but got tired of spending three hrs doing it.This stuff works great and really makes the bike look good.You can pretty much get it at any anywhere....Walmart,Autozone,etc. You should be fine with using it on all parts of your bike(I do and have no issues) but if there's a concern about certain paint types just contact them at meguiars.com When I do actually wash the bike I use S100 (s100.com) which can be found at any motorcycle dealer. You just spray your entire bike with it then immediately start rinsing with hose.DO NOT let it dry on the bike as you'll have white streaks. RINSE RINSE RINSE with this stuff after you have covered the bike with it,and when you think you have done enough rinsing,rinse some more. You still will have to towel dry it,but it takes most of the hand scrubbing effort out of it. They have a tire cleaner too which works pretty well.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I also use Meguire's Detail Spray. I love the stuff! Safe for all of the bike. Windshield, seat, paint, chrome, everything. I use 2 rags. I use the blue microfiber towels from Walmart. First one cleans, second does the final wipe. I get lots of comments on how great my bike looks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to be sure. You guys using Meguire's detail spray have the flat paint on your bikes?

·
Registered
100 Posts
No I don't think they have flat paint like we do. I have looked on this site for info on how to keep it clean without shining it up. Didn't find much most people that have our paint just soap and water that's what I do anything with wax will shine it up

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah u guys can correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that detail spray leave a shine? We're looking for, or atleast I am, something with the properties of wax that'll help protect the paint but will still leave our flat look there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm still looking for something like that haven't found anything yet if anybody has let me know I'm sure there is a lot of us that would use it

·
Registered
100 Posts
That ruffCut looks like good stuff I just may order a bottle. And that other detail stuff looks good to but I'm not sure it's made to work on flat or not may need to call and find out

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a flat black 2010 SE.

I use Meguires Quik Mist detialer all the time. I have been using it since the bike was new. My finish still looks flat like it should.

I use the two microfiber rag method mentioned a few posts back.

If you read about the product here: Meguires Site it talks about removing contaminates, not adding shine. I find this to be true.

·
Registered
147 Posts

I use Meguires Quik Mist detialer all the time. I have been using it since the bike was new. My finish still looks flat......

Tang. Is that a pretty common product? Like at pepboys or auto zone? Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tang. Is that a pretty common product? Like at pepboys or auto zone? Thanks

The best place that I found to buy it is Walmart. They have a larger size available for less $$$.

Most places that carry Meguires (O' Reilly, Advance Auto, most car parts stores) should have it or be able to order it for you if its not already in stock.

Happy detailing :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I saw the stuff at Menard's. The back of the bottle said that it would restore the shine to your paint. Probably just ad blurb. If you are using it that long and have had good results then I will try it. If nothing else, I have wax remover that should fix it for me.

·
Registered
147 Posts

I use Meguires Quik Mist detialer all the time. I have been using it since the bike was new. My finish still looks flat like it should.

I use the two microfiber rag method mentioned a few posts back.

If you read about the product here: Meguires Site it talks about removing contaminates, not adding shine. I find this to be true.
Works awesome !!! Thanks !!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I picked some up yesterday. I also picked up a 2oz spritzer bottle so I can keep some in the tool compartment. I hope it works as well as stated here. Thanks for all the input.

EDIT: I used the detail spray yesterday. Worked great on the matte, glossy and chrome parts on my bike. Took the dust off easily and with a little extra rubbing, it removed the water spots taht I had on there too. Thanks again.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was at my local stealership (where I bought my bike from) for a customer appreciation event. I had my bike set up for the show and shine.

They also had a Wizards deatiling products rep there with a new product for flat paint. Detail spray I bought a bottle of it to try it out. I couldn't tell a difference between using the Wizards product and Meguires Quik Detailer. Both had the same amount of flatness. So since it is cheaper Meguires still wins.

However, I also bought the Wizards Multi-fiber cloth at the same time. Multi-Fiber Cloth
This is the best cloth I have ever owned! It picks up all the detailing spray in one swipe. No need for 2 microfiber towels anymore. This will also make my matte finish last longer since I am not rubbing it off by having to wipe twice as much with micro fiber towels. This is the best product that I have bought in a long time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts