Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have tried to search out answers for this question but not had any real luck. So those of you with the Metallic Flat Spark Black bikes, how do you clean it? What products do you use? The manual says polish is out as it will rub off the Spark (flakes). My bike is quickly turning grey as there is a ton of road salt still out there, but the weather was in the 60-70's.

Only other real question at this point is MPG any stock vaqueros care to let me know what you are getting. I was riding and the need fuel now light came on, about a mile later I filled up and it took 3.9 gals. The dealer said something about the computer learning as I rode, and would get more accurate as time went by (sounds a little like "I don't know" to me) Well thanks and after 350 miles I love this bike even more.....

Ride safe
Paul

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi, I have tried to search out answers for this question but not had any real luck. So those of you with the Metallic Flat Spark Black bikes, how do you clean it? What products do you use? The manual says polish is out as it will rub off the Spark (flakes). My bike is quickly turning grey as there is a ton of road salt still out there, but the weather was in the 60-70's.

Only other real question at this point is MPG any stock vaqueros care to let me know what you are getting. I was riding and the need fuel now light came on, about a mile later I filled up and it took 3.9 gals. The dealer said something about the computer learning as I rode, and would get more accurate as time went by (sounds a little like "I don't know" to me) Well thanks and after 350 miles I love this bike even more.....

Ride safe
Paul
I use the Turtle Wax Ice Detailer for mine, never had a problem with it

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, do you use either of the waxes (paste/liquid) or just the spray detailer?

·
Registered
22 Posts
why would you wax or shine a flat paint. Isnt that the opposite effect of the the paint job. Harley and a painter friend both recommend mild dish soap for flat finish paint jobs. Specifically my buddy who paints uses Dawn on his bike. He says the importnant thing is to use a good microfiber wash mitt and keep it clean and keep it and the bike wet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
why would you wax or shine a flat paint. Isnt that the opposite effect of the the paint job. Harley and a painter friend both recommend mild dish soap for flat finish paint jobs. Specifically my buddy who paints uses Dawn on his bike. He says the importnant thing is to use a good microfiber wash mitt and keep it clean and keep it and the bike wet.
I've been using detailer on my flat black vaquero since I've had it and it looks just as good if not better than it did the day I bought it. You're not waxing the flat black, you're waxing and detailing the clear coat that's on top of it, which dawn dish detergent will take off over time.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Dawn will not remove clear coat and is the first step of any good paint detailing effort. Dawn is good at removing wax and grease which most auto wash soap does not. I use Dawn before I clay bar a vehicle are polish/wax my bike.

It is important to note that the flat black paint does have clear coat on it, it is just a low sheen clear. Still requires care. A wet surface and good surfactant soap is key to washing without scratching; using a clean mitt and keeping it clean while you wash. But for care, I would stick with the detailer, specifically one that doesn't have any shine enhancements, which you would want to avoid for the flat look.

·
Registered
440 Posts
i have the gloss black and use the blue ice spray detailer, i wish i had the flat black.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank for all the helpful replies. I am not looking to polish it to a shine, just clean it, and protect it. So it looks like a good micro fiber cloth, dawn liquid soap and a basic spray detailer.

Thanks again
Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts