Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 900 custom is a bike I own and about to customize.There are many fender blanks,some of heavy gauge steel that a person could redo a fender out of.My friend and i are going to make new front and rear fenders, and possibly sidecovers,all out of metal.Would you be interested in somehting like that? I am talking planish hammer,slap hammer,english wheel type work.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'd be interested. It would really depend on what level of workmanship we're looking at here- just a blank cut down? Ribbed fender with rolled edges, flared tail, etc?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd be interested. It would really depend on what level of workmanship we're looking at here- just a blank cut down? Ribbed fender with rolled edges, flared tail, etc?
No,almost anyone oculd tank a blank and cut it down.I am talking about taking a sheet of steel,cutting it to size,shaping it in an english wheel,using planish hammer,metalworking hammers,etc.rolled edges,center ribs, all possible.This would be a true custom made fender.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I love the opportunity to make a or both fenders from a piece of sheet metal. the only things stopping me are the tools and time. it would also to awesome to custom make a seat pan. ive been wanting to make a solo spring seat that has a nice dish to it. i ride around 300mi a week and would need the seat to really cup my bum. so far ive only dished out my stock seat. its made a world of difference on my long rides.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love the opportunity to make a or both fenders from a piece of sheet metal. the only things stopping me are the tools and time. it would also to awesome to custom make a seat pan. ive been wanting to make a solo spring seat that has a nice dish to it. i ride around 300mi a week and would need the seat to really cup my bum. so far ive only dished out my stock seat. its made a world of difference on my long rides.
My friend of mine and I are accumulating tools now, he has over 20 years metalworking experience.

·
Registered
99 Posts
So i went to a local salvage yard looking a rear fender. was able to find a few that would work for the direction that im headed with the bike. i know that its not fabricating one from scratch, however there will still be some involved to make it fit properly. Im still pretty excited about my upcoming projects though. this is my first bike so everymod ive done has been a learning expirence for me. So far ive installed a barrons 2"rear lowering kit and biltwells moto bars. ive also painted all plastic chrome pieces flat black as well as my exhaust which i recently fully debaffled. i reshaped foam and reuphosltered stock seat. the bike started as a 12'vn900 classic se, and now inthe middle of my tranformation. the rear fender and wiring are going to be my most intensive modification. If i can figure out how to post pictures from my phone, i'll get them up

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So i went to a local salvage yard looking a rear fender. was able to find a few that would work for the direction that im headed with the bike. i know that its not fabricating one from scratch, however there will still be some involved to make it fit properly. Im still pretty excited about my upcoming projects though. this is my first bike so everymod ive done has been a learning expirence for me. So far ive installed a barrons 2"rear lowering kit and biltwells moto bars. ive also painted all plastic chrome pieces flat black as well as my exhaust which i recently fully debaffled. i reshaped foam and reuphosltered stock seat. the bike started as a 12'vn900 classic se, and now inthe middle of my tranformation. the rear fender and wiring are going to be my most intensive modification. If i can figure out how to post pictures from my phone, i'll get them up
Congratulations for you initiative and not having the Bolton so called custom mail order kit.What you are doing will require metalwork and craftsmanship.The reward will be you make it your own.Good job.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ok peep i finally was able to pick up a rear fender. its off some old harley and has been slightly chopped already. i still gotta do some more cutting and shaping to it but its pretty close to how want it to look. coolest thing about it is that i only paid $5 for it. so i know that its not made from scratch, it was a great score and will work perfectly for my project. i just have to get everything else needed fr the conversion before installing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts