Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am 5' 7" on a good day. Not overly long waisted either, but the MS 17" quick release windshield hits me in the the upper chin area so I still get a lot of buffeting. I have lowers on the way to see if that helps, but would also like a 19" windshield. MS does not make one according to the website. I could spend $600 on a seat that lowers me or $350 on a completely different windshield and mounting hardware. Seeing as how $ is definitely an object with me, my question is, could I buy the plastic for any other similar MS cruiser windshield with the height I want, and would it fit into the windshield straps or are they all different? Pardon if it is a silly question, but my internal combustion issues as a whole household currently have me strapped for cash. Never had this issue on my previous bikes, but I think it is a result of it being my first bike with forward controls. So maybe my knees are deflecting the wind up? I dunno, maybe the lowers will work like magic and everything will be fine. I still don't like the windshield height hitting below my lower lip though. Maybe when I get my pullback risers installed, I will also be able to slouch lower in the saddle.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just curious which model MS shield you have, the Fats and Slims offer 19" shields for the mounting hardware. However some of their Sport Shield models, of which there are many, may not.
You may consider adding a Laminar Lip to your existing shield. I use one on a couple bikes and they work pretty well. They add minimal height but they have a kickup angle which helps greatly.

Here's a link to something on ebay which is even less expensive and does the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
4,165 Posts
Hi wedge.
I am assuming you bike is a Custom. You do not mention what MS shield you have. If it is not a Fats or Slim shield, then a full setup is required. Or some lip that is available for the top of the shield. I have an 09 900 Classic with the MS fats 19” shield. Also have Barons 4” risers. The risers make you sit more upright and you are in a higher position in relation to the shield. I am 5’9” and the 19” shield hits just below the nose.
To determine which shield, I made two cardboard cutouts of different height and width. One in the Fats at 19” and one in the Slim at 17”. Put a 1” wad at the bottom to hold the cardboard off the headlight as it would be positioned with the mounts. Sat comfortably on the bike and had the Mrs hold them up at the angle of the front forks. The 19” Fats was the best fit. Also added some lowers to help with the helmet buffeting. Also like the quick detach brackets for the real hot days.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have an 08 with a 17 in slim shield and i am also 5'8" and do not have any buffeting. I were a Shoei GT-air. On the quick release hardware mounted to the bike you can adjust the angle the shield sits by moving the round pieces in there slots, try playing with the mounting angle to see if that helps.

·
Registered
2016 Vulcan 900 Classic
9 Posts
I'm 6' 3" and Have a MS Sportshield which I believe is 20" high and fits the holes of the hardware you already have....
It works for me

Reactions: rc4man

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm 6' 3" and Have a MS Sportshield which I believe is 20" high and fits the holes of the hardware you already have....
It works for me
You might specify which Sport Shield model you have. The brackets fit all the sport shields, but each has a distinctive name, El Paso etc., and is a different size both width and height. He can buy the shield individually.

·
Registered
2016 Vulcan 900 Classic
9 Posts
You might specify which Sport Shield model you have. The brackets fit all the sport shields, but each has a distinctive name, El Paso etc., and is a different size both width and height. He can buy the shield individually.
Yep, sorry, i forgot they have several...
Mine is the Big Shot Sportshield Black smoke...
Picture below:

Attachments

Reactions: rc4man

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My bad...I have the Memphis Shade slim 19" inch windshield on a classic and for some reason I still sit too tall. Also still a stock seat, but right now I have no desire to spend the $ for a Mustang seat that might lower me another inch or so. I am not sure if the bike makes me sit up really high or what, but being a bifocal wearer that buffeting is super annoying and borderline dangerous when that wind is blowing in the wrong direction.

@rc4man...I have looked at those and if the lowers (being installed after work today) don't help, I may have to do that as a temporary fix. Not the prettiest thing though. Also great to know that the sportshield will fit my quick release hardware if I have to go that route.

I will re-measure my windshield to make sure it is the 19" already, but I remember checking and it was definitely the tallest slim Memphis Shades said fit my bike, but I will double check.

It could also have something to do with my commute. My commute is East/West and 95% of the wind comes from the North/South and it has been very windy lately.

If I get the pullback risers installed I may be able to slouch back a little more and lower, too.

Between the lowers, the risers, and the other advice, I am sure I will find something that will work eventually.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Wedge, Didn't realize you already have a Fats/Slims frame. I'm surprised that the shield isn't high enough however, the quick detach mounting points for the Sport Shield are probably the same but the shield frames/struts are different. I assumed you had Sport Shield frames and they make a variety of shields, plexi only, that interchange, just as they various height, width and headlamp opening sizes for the Fats/Slims.
I would still suggest an add on lip option as viable cure.

Reactions: wedge56

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay final clarification. Got home from work and put on the lowers. They make a decided difference but not quite good enough. I do have a Memphis Shades Slim 17-in windshield and as far as what Memphis Shades tells me that is the tallest shield they make for my bike without having to change a hardware. So as of right now, not sure what I am going to do.

@rc4man... Well it would help if I could give all the needed information the first time around. Just appreciate folks willingness to help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have an 08 with a 17 in slim shield and i am also 5'8" and do not have any buffeting. I were a Shoei GT-air. On the quick release hardware mounted to the bike you can adjust the angle the shield sits by moving the round pieces in there slots, try playing with the mounting angle to see if that helps.
Man I have looked at it but I cannot see any way to adjust the angle. I'll look again tomorrow. It wouldn't be the first time I've missed something obvious.

Edit: I lost patience took the cover off and went and checked right now and I'll be damned...yep. I see it now. I will keep playing with it and maybe that will get me somewhere. Thanks.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Man I have looked at it but I cannot see any way to adjust the angle. I'll look again tomorrow. It wouldn't be the first time I've missed something obvious.

Edit: I lost patience took the cover off and went and checked right now and I'll be damned...yep. I see it now. I will keep playing with it and maybe that will get me somewhere. Thanks.
Glad you found it, i was about to upload a picture to show you. It took me a while to find the right spot and it changed when i updated my helmet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts