Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Memphis Shades website offers a 'Trigger Lock Mounting Kit' for the 900 Classic 2006-2009.
I like the 'Speed Demon' Sport Shield but....

I have a 2010.

Is there really any difference between the 09 and 10 forks?
Has anyone mounted the Speed Demon on a 2010 Classic?

It took me less than an hour and a half. (I bought the PopTop.) I ended up pulling the plate and wire loops that manage/contain the wires heading toward the hand grips....and strapped them together with a couple of black plastic tie-straps.
I tried the National Cycle Dakota - but it was so big - too big...and they didn't make a 'Quick Release' for the 2010 Vulcan Classic. AND I really didn't like their smaller two piece windshields.
I like the way the winshield looks although I haven't driven it yet.
I'm installing Cobra Speedster Longs. (the pipes are mounted but I still have to mount the heat shields). Next is the Ganucci seat - which probably won't be here for a while. I have the Saddleman Renegade Solo - (way more comfortable than the stock seat!)
Meancycles told me they have a Bolt-On Gangster fender for the 900. And I'm very interested in that!

PS - Thanks guys for your very helpful advice concerning the No Tool Trigger Lock stuff!

Here's a photo of a Suzuki with the "look" I'm working towards.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It'll fit. I think they just haven't updated their info. There are practically no differences between the '09 & '10. Or any other year, for that matter. Why mess with a good thing?

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
The Memphis Shades website offers a 'Trigger Lock Mounting Kit' for the 900 Classic 2006-2009.
I like the 'Speed Demon' Sport Shield but....

I have a 2010.

Is there really any difference between the 09 and 10 forks?
Has anyone mounted the Speed Demon on a 2010 Classic?
They fit perfect!! I have a 2010 Classic and installed the trigger lock system with the speed demon windshield. Installed was picture perfect and easy. No issues....

·
BOTM Winner, May 2013
207 Posts
I have them on my 2010 900 Classic. To make it even better, once you have the brackets on your bike, it seems that you can use any other Memphis Shades windshield and only have to buy the plates to fit the various winshields. I had an MS Fat shield and switched to a Batwing fairing. I only had to buy the plates that fit the Batwing and it went right on my bike with no other changes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think I'm going for a 'Speed Domon' on my classic - I love the look and its half the price of the other windshields and less than half the price of the Batwing - just one question - is this a fork mount or handlebar mount? When I research the shield on the internet I see references to fork mount, and all the pictures are from the front facing the bike (which look good!). What does it look like from the inside? thx.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think I'm going for a 'Speed Domon' on my classic - I love the look and its half the price of the other windshields and less than half the price of the Batwing - just one question - is this a fork mount or handlebar mount? When I research the shield on the internet I see references to fork mount, and all the pictures are from the front facing the bike (which look good!). What does it look like from the inside? thx.
Looks like I answered my own question. The handlebar mount model is called a 'Demon' Windshield. The 'Speed Demon' uses the trigger lock that mounts to the forks..

If anyone with a speed demon on their Classic please post a close up pick of the side view - I want to see how it aligns with the headlight, it will give me a better idea of where exactly it's 18" height will line up with my face - sitting with a tape measure on the bike, angled with the forks 18" above the highest point of the headlight it appears to be near perfect height for me..around the nose/eye area..

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Looks like I answered my own question. The handlebar mount model is called a 'Demon' Windshield. The 'Speed Demon' uses the trigger lock that mounts to the forks..

If anyone with a speed demon on their Classic please post a close up pick of the side view - I want to see how it aligns with the headlight, it will give me a better idea of where exactly it's 18" height will line up with my face - sitting with a tape measure on the bike, angled with the forks 18" above the highest point of the headlight it appears to be near perfect height for me..around the nose/eye area..
Here you go.... I started out with the Speed Demon, then decided to go with the Batwing for more coverage (riding 2 up with the wife the Batwing makes a big difference). With the Speed Demon it was good coverage, but still had head buffeting (even with lowers). The shield is adjusted full forward and this is where you'll measure the 18" I was looking just over it, I am 6'

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Here you go.... I started out with the Speed Demon, then decided to go with the Batwing for more coverage (riding 2 up with the wife the Batwing makes a big difference). With the Speed Demon it was good coverage, but still had head buffeting (even with lowers). The shield is adjusted full forward and this is where you'll measure the 18" I was looking just over it, I am 6'
Thanks Bosco! I took a chance and placed the order. Now comes the waiting!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Help with installation

Well I got the speed demon today and am starting the install. I got the parts that attach to the windshield installed - easy. I'm reading the directions for the rest and am starting to get confused. It looks like the top piece (single piece) mounts under the triple tree re-using the same bolts that hold the risers in place. I'm not sure about the two side pieces though. I thought I'd post here for some advice while carefully figuring this out...

·
Registered
450 Posts
The top part attaches under the triple tree with the same bolts used to hold the risers on. It was a tight fit when I did mine, but it fits like a glove. I can't remember about the side pieces though.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Well I got the speed demon today and am starting the install. I got the parts that attach to the windshield installed - easy. I'm reading the directions for the rest and am starting to get confused. It looks like the top piece (single piece) mounts under the triple tree re-using the same bolts that hold the risers in place. I'm not sure about the two side pieces though. I thought I'd post here for some advice while carefully figuring this out...
I know it's been a couple of years since I installed mine. But, thought it was two pieces (one for each side) that bolts up under the triple tree (riser bolts), then at the bottom under the headlight bracket (gets attached between the headlight bracket & lower triple tree).

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Okay. just looked at mine. Yes the top piece attaches under the top triple tree. then the two side pieces attach to the top bracket you just installed, then to the lower triple tree between the headlight bracket. Once you install the top bracket (which is a tight fit), the rest is easy.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Okay. just looked at mine. Yes the top piece attaches under the top triple tree. then the two side pieces attach to the top bracket you just installed, then to the lower triple tree between the headlight bracket. Once you install the top bracket (which is a tight fit), the rest is easy.
That just jogged my memory and is correct!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks guys, you were right. The top piece is gives the top parts of the side pieces a mounting point, the bottom mounts with the headlight. I struggled a bit with the cables because I have two inch risers on my bike and one cable was already suspect...but once I figured out how to move everything out of the way I was able to mount things easily. I got it on and it looks good. I was worried about the height but it seems to up right up to my nose area so it feels perfect. About to go for a test ride!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just got back from a quick ride. I jumped on the freeway and got her up to 140 KPh (86 mp/h). I'm very happy with the results. There is some buffeting depending on how uprdight I sit - but it didn't bother me really. The shield is adjusted in the middle so I still have to play with max height and lowest height settings. As is it seems fine. The main thing I was after was the ability to ride with my open face / half helmet without feeling the debris all over my face - and this was achieved nicely. I didnt' feel a thing on my cheeks. Yesterday I was out all day on back roads (80 - 90 kph) and there is always the 'sting' on my face from debris, bugs..etc hitting it. Overall I am very pleased.

So now that I have the mounting kit on the bike, can I use any MP shield or does this one only apply to sports shields? I think if I wanted to upgrade to a Batwing / Fats, I would only order the shield with the 'plates only kit' - the part that attaches to the windshield. Just curious for future upgrades..

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Just got back from a quick ride. I jumped on the freeway and got her up to 140 KPh (86 mp/h). I'm very happy with the results. There is some buffeting depending on how uprdight I sit - but it didn't bother me really. The shield is adjusted in the middle so I still have to play with max height and lowest height settings. As is it seems fine. The main thing I was after was the ability to ride with my open face / half helmet without feeling the debris all over my face - and this was achieved nicely. I didnt' feel a thing on my cheeks. Yesterday I was out all day on back roads (80 - 90 kph) and there is always the 'sting' on my face from debris, bugs..etc hitting it. Overall I am very pleased.

So now that I have the mounting kit on the bike, can I use any MP shield or does this one only apply to sports shields? I think if I wanted to upgrade to a Batwing / Fats, I would only order the shield with the 'plates only kit' - the part that attaches to the windshield. Just curious for future upgrades..
Glad it works for you. I liked it as well. Kept my chest from being thumped and wind off the face.

Yes, you can go to a Batwing with just the fairing & plates only kit. Exactly what I did when my wife decided she wanted to start going with me. So, you can swap back and forth.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out. I have my windshield set to the highest it can go, angled all the way forward as I was getting a lot of buffeting with it at the same angle as the forks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Bought my bike (900 Custom) with the MS Alley Cat, and then later bought the MS batwing. First, +1 on the plates only kit. Second (and this might apply only for the 900 Custom), the MS batwing really only "fits" in one position due to clearance around the headlight. As it turns out, when I try to switch to the Alley Cat it hits the headlight shell -- I have to adjust the round "mounting points" where the plates attach to get it to fit right. So, it's not exactly the 10 second switch I'd have liked. Then again, I ride the highway a lot, so keeping the batwing on is OK!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts