Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive just about given up on my home made lowers project. Why? I can't source the cushion clamps. The closest I found locally is a 10 pack from a Marine shop (recommended by a member on this forum, thank you) for $28. If I have to spend 30 for clamps, 20 for plastics, plus odds and ends like sand paper..well I can get the Memphis lowers for around $80 shipped, so I'm not saving enough to justify my time.

So my question is, how effective are the Memphis lowers vs. the typical home made variety? The Memphis seem shorter and wider than the home made ones. Also I read on a recent for sale post in the classifieds section here that the will block the turn signals. Is this true on the classic? I was hoping to get he gradient black, but not at the risk of safety...

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I'd still go with home made lowers. Reason; you can customize the shape. a little wider, longer, wrap around the turn signal. You just have to make sure if wider that it does not interfere with the highway bar (if you have one). I like mine and they work great.

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
clamps

You shouldn't have to buy a whole bunch of them, I bought just 2 from an online store (too long ago to remember where) that sold misc. parts, I think for airplane use? I would try doing a search for them on this site and google and see what comes up. If that doesn't work try posting a new thread asking where members got theirs. I had under $15 invested. Good luck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
O.K you guys encouraged me to redouble my efforts and I found them, 4 pieces shipped for $11. I'm not sure if here was an error on their site or what, but it showed shipping as $0 and my credit card was only billed for $11. Will see when I get them I guess!

This is the site: http://www.zsi-inc.com/

·
Registered
453 Posts
O.K you guys encouraged me to redouble my efforts and I found them, 4 pieces shipped for $11. I'm not sure if here was an error on their site or what, but it showed shipping as $0 and my credit card was only billed for $11. Will see when I get them I guess!

This is the site: http://www.zsi-inc.com/
11 sounds about right to me!! 12 to 15 in Lexan and your rollin!! Post a pic when your done!!:)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds high for the clamps! I paid about a buck a piece! Started with the chrome look and changed to black.
I think I prefer without the chrome...blend in more. I'm going to start with a clear, if they fail to blend in I might tint them with some automotive tint on the inside side to match my gradient black Memphis Sports Shield..

What thickness did you go with? I'm looking at quarter inch, half inch seems to thick and bulky...or maybe something in between...

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think I prefer without the chrome...blend in more. I'm going to start with a clear, if they fail to blend in I might tint them with some automotive tint on the inside side to match my gradient black Memphis Sports Shield..

What thickness did you go with? I'm looking at quarter inch, half inch seems to thick and bulky...or maybe something in between...
Clear is nearly invisible. I'm all about the bling!! And the chrome just made'em mine!! 1/4 Lexan works. Some of the lesser acrylics are to brittle and can break. I have not tried 1/2". And remember without a picture, it's just a story!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just picked up my Lexan for $20. They cut two pieces to me from my template. Home Depot and Lowes sell the larger sheets for around $40, I got mine at Plastic World in Toronto, they sell all kinds of plastic goods - anyone else doing this project in the Toronto area might consider them as well: http://plasticworld.ca/category/product/acrylic-lexan/. I like the fact that they cut it for me - I don't really have access to a good jigsaw. All I need now is to drill holes and some screws - and waiting for my clamps to arrive!

·
Registered
453 Posts
After drilling temper the holes quickly on both sides with a flame (lighter)to eliminate stress cracking at the hole. A flame can also be used on the perimeter edge to eliminate sanding!! Proceed with caution.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
After drilling temper the holes quickly on both sides with a flame (lighter)to eliminate stress cracking at the hole. A flame can also be used on the perimeter edge to eliminate sanding!! Proceed with caution.
Can I ask how long or what to look for when hitting the edges & mounting holes with heat or flame?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Can I ask how long or what to look for when hitting the edges & mounting holes with heat or flame?
I use a plumbing torch, and heat just until the edge of the cut starts to slightly melt. Keep the flame moving. Practice on some scrape. You will get a feel for it quickly. The holes only take a second or two.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Good luck on the lowers, I made a few sets and settled on these. Love them and love the fact that I made them. I still buy stuff for the bike but sometimes when you fabricate a part it feels so much better.

·
Registered
453 Posts

Good luck on the lowers, I made a few sets and settled on these. Love them and love the fact that I made them. I still buy stuff for the bike but sometimes when you fabricate a part it feels so much better.
AMEN BROTHER!! Dem some sweet lowers!! DYI mod's are the:bomb:

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I use a plumbing torch, and heat just until the edge of the cut starts to slightly melt. Keep the flame moving. Practice on some scrape. You will get a feel for it quickly. The holes only take a second or two.
Thanks. Will work on some scraps before I make my son's lowers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts