Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a metric cruiser with a Memphis Shades Batwing fairing and i must admit it looked pretty good. I have seen photos of the Memphis Shades on a Vulcan 900 LT but would prefer to see one on a bike rather than a photo. Does anyone have one installed on a Vulcan 900 LT that could comment on wind protection, overall look etc....Would you recommend purchasing one ? Or are there any photos out there that you could post for me to see. I think a batwing style fairing is better suited to a bike that has hardbags...but that's just my opinion. Any info would be appreciated....thanks.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have seen photos of the Memphis Shades on a Vulcan 900 LT but would prefer to see one on a bike rather than a photo. Does anyone have one installed on a Vulcan 900 LT that could comment on wind protection, overall look etc....Would you recommend purchasing one ? Or are there any photos out there that you could post for me to see. I think a batwing style fairing is better suited to a bike that has hardbags...but that's just my opinion. Any info would be appreciated....thanks.
Several of us here have them on our bikes. The fairing, windshield, and mounting hardware is probably around $400. Not everybody likes them but I'm a big fan. I only take it off when I'm not going far and it's really hot/humid.

Any specific pictures you want to see? I have or can take pictures from just about any angle.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I like the Memphis Shades batwing. I've been hem/hawing about a fairing for a good year. I really wanted a stereo fairing but none of them seem to be of decent quality, they are kind of expensive, I just don't know. So there's the memphis shades fairing, they DO have a speaker get-up for it but it's awfully expensive and pretty crummy, from what I've heard. However, speakers aside, I think the Memphis-Shades route is the one I'm going to take. Unless I find one I like more!

Or I may hem/haw some more about it, who knows!

When figuring cost, keep in mind they only come black (Correct? At least that's all I've seen). So unless your bike is black, figure on adding a couple hundred more to the cost to color match. Although I have black accessories on my bike and they don't look bad. EVENTUALLY they will be color-matched, but in the case of both the hard bags and the harley-trunk I got good deals from forum members that I didn't want to pass up, and why buy it and not use it? But I still have other things I'd like to have for the bike before I invest on painting those parts (but it eventually will happen).

This summers project is a trailer hitch and trailer for some motorcycle camping next year! You can carry a whole lot more in a little cargo trailer!

·
Registered
453 Posts
What height windshield and how is wind protection/buffeting/updraft with the lowers and batwing deflectors?
That's the 12" windshield. I'm 6'3" and it's perfect for me. MUCH BETTER wind protection than the LT shield. With the lowers and deflectors it's the ultimate ride!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
anyone know by chance if the trigger mount kit for the memphis shades fat and the bat wing fairing are the same.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Batwing Fairing

Thanks to those of you who replied to the thread....great to know there is lots of support on the Vulcan Forums....
Tang56....great looking bike...was wondering about the hard bags as well....where are they from ? They look awesome. Also , I am 5'4" inches tall , what size windshield would you recommend.
Graybush...regarding pictures ...any photos would be appreciated of the batwing Fairing......the more info and photos I see will probably give me the the go ahead to purchase the batwing fairing. Lastly would the Batwing fairing be more suitable to longer trips than the stock LT fairing.....it would be nice to use both when i want to mix things up and change the look ....thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
anyone know by chance if the trigger mount kit for the memphis shades fat and the bat wing fairing are the same.
The mounting that's on the triple tree is the same (swapped out my speed demon windshield for the batwing). What's different will be the plates that mount to the windshield or batwing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ok so I will still need to order the mounting kit when I finally pull the trigger. Was hoping not too of course.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Thanks to those of you who replied to the thread....great to know there is lots of support on the Vulcan Forums....
Tang56....great looking bike...was wondering about the hard bags as well....where are they from ? They look awesome. Also , I am 5'4" inches tall , what size windshield would you recommend.
Graybush...regarding pictures ...any photos would be appreciated of the batwing Fairing......the more info and photos I see will probably give me the the go ahead to purchase the batwing fairing. Lastly would the Batwing fairing be more suitable to longer trips than the stock LT fairing.....it would be nice to use both when i want to mix things up and change the look ....thanks again.
Here are pic's of mine. I love the faring, both from wind protection (great for longer rides) & looks. I am 6' and went with a 9" windshield. Excellent wind protection and I look over it about 2-3". Still have to have it painted to match.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Ok so I will still need to order the mounting kit when I finally pull the trigger. Was hoping not too of course.
You want to order the "Plates only kit" (not the mounting kit which will include all the parts) since you all ready have the mount kit on the bike. Go to this link:

http://www.memphisshades.com/application-charts/kawasaki/batwing-fairing

You'll see the part number you require for the plates only kit. It's less than half the price of the complete mounting kit. Plus if you web shop (looking for this part number) you might find it cheaper.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Similar to Bosco, I'm 5'11" with a 9" shield. I have a sitting height of 34" so when I sit on the floor, it's 34" to the top of my head. If you go straight up from the 12 o'clock position on the speedometer bezel, a 9" shield will sit about 16" higher than that.

Buffeting is really hard to predict. I don't get much buffeting but I do get some wind noise, more so since I switched from an EXO-400 to an EXO-1000. Even on the interstate I can ride with my visor fully open without any problems or feeling like my head's about to get ripped off. If I stand up on the floorboards or stick my head way up the wind noise gets much worse and I do get some buffeting. As it is, the top of my shield comes up to around my upper lip or nose. Even though my head is turned in the picture you can see about where it comes to:

For this one the camera was stuck to the top of my helmet so the perspective is slightly off from what you would see when you ride.

This is what the back side looks like. The camera was sitting on the passenger seat so it's not a Rider's Perspective.

And this is just a random shot:

·
Registered
98 Posts
You want to order the "Plates only kit" (not the mounting kit which will include all the parts) since you all ready have the mount kit on the bike. Go to this link:

http://www.memphisshades.com/application-charts/kawasaki/batwing-fairing

You'll see the part number you require for the plates only kit. It's less than half the price of the complete mounting kit. Plus if you web shop (looking for this part number) you might find it cheaper.
Thanks bosco I was just looking at that... I'm glad it will save me a few dollars. now all I have to do is sell some stuff

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thanks for the compliment! The bag's are Matazu MUs. The least expensive hard bags I have found, with great looks! My first purchase was the 9" spoiler windshield. Looked really cool!! WAY to short for me!! I'm riding a Russell day long saddle and it sits me higher than the stock seat If your on the stock seat, I would think the short wind shield (5") or 9" spoiler would work for you. Get the wind deflectors, and make some lowers. It's worth the time!! The batwing is more aerodynamic than the LT shield. I don't get pushed around as much by wind and truck blast.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
9" solar (lightly tinted) shield, fairing deflectors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts