Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Did you install those lowers over the fork covers? I have a 2008 Vulcan 900 Classic. I installed my Memphis Shade lowers over the fork covers. However, the covers themselves twist and cause the lowers to change position. Any suggestions? Thanks

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Did you install those lowers over the fork covers? I have a 2008 Vulcan 900 Classic. I installed my Memphis Shade lowers over the fork covers. However, the covers themselves twist and cause the lowers to change position. Any suggestions? Thanks
Yes, as the pics show they are over the covers. I have one cover that I can twist by hand but it doesn't seem to affect the lower position when riding.

Reactions: DavoWPG
I have had the memphis shade lowers on two bike now. They really are amazing for the amount of annoying wind they get rid of.

One of the most often questions I get asked by Buffy admirers is, "How much of a difference do they make?"

Without an understanding of how wind flow works it's easy to think they don't do much. I have a friend that I ride with that still thinks they are just for looks. He also complains about wind buffeting practically every ride!

I have exactly the same lowers as @Zzman installed exactly as his are. Mine stay in place with no issues. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Hi,

I've decided to go with the Memphis Lowers after reading your posts guys. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.

I see that the "Memphis Shades Custom Lowers Plastic Windshield (part number MEP5810)" and the "Memphis Shades Lowers Hardware (part number MEM9884 or MEM9898)" are sold separately.

I have a couple of questions:
1) The Memphis Shades website says the lowers fit the Vulcan 900 Classic (VN900) but not the Vulcan 900 Classic LT (VN900D). Does this matter?
2) The fortnine.ca website says that the "Memphis Shades Lowers Hardware (part number MEM9884 or MEM9898)" will not fit my bike - 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT (VN900D). If you go to the "Part Numbers" tab there are a bunch if manufacturer part numbers listed, and the Kawasaki VN900D is not listed in the "fitment" tab.

Very confusing.
So the $1M question is, what hardware did you buy for the Vulcan 900 Classic LT.

Thanks,
David

I have exactly the same lowers as @Zzman installed exactly as his are. Mine stay in place with no issues. Maybe I'm just lucky?
Hi,
I’ve got the Memphis Shade lowers but didn’t install yet because the fork covers twist by hand and I thought the lowers will change position when riding the bike. Yours still stay in position even when riding?
Thx!

Yes, as the pics show they are over the covers. I have one cover that I can twist by hand but it doesn't seem to affect the lower position when riding.
I’ve got the Memphis Shade lowers but didn’t install yet because the fork covers twist by hand and I thought the lowers will change position when riding the bike. Yours still stay in position even when riding?
Thx!

I have Memphis Shades lowers intalled on my 2008 Vulcan 900 Classic. However, the fork cover turns when I’m riding and changes the position of the lowers. Any suggestions?
Hi,
I’m in your exact same situation. Have you installed the Memphis Shade lowers over the Forks covers? Do they change position while riding?
Thx!

Got my lowers installed yesterday. I now see what you mean by the fork covers rotating. I was only able to take a short test drive yesterday, but in that very short ride my lowers did not change position at highway speed. I just hope it stays that way as I could not figure out a way to tighten those fork covers if I had to.

Got my lowers installed yesterday. I now see what you mean by the fork covers rotating. I was only able to take a short test drive yesterday, but in that very short ride my lowers did not change position at highway speed. I just hope it stays that way as I could not figure out a way to tighten those fork covers if I had to.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
Would you please post a couple of close up pictures on how you mount the hardware to your bike?
Davo

Thank you for sharing your experience.
Would you please post a couple of close up pictures on how you mount the hardware to your bike?
Davo
--Will try to remember when I get home. The instructions that came weren't great and I did have to disassemble and reassemble a couple times to get it right. This being my first set of lowers I made some rookie mistakes.

First ride with the lowers this morning in balmy 30 degree weather. Between the lowers, an adjustment to the windshield, and the first day without 12-15 mph crosswinds...the buffeting was much better. I still want to find a windshield taller than 17" that will fit my hardware.

Sorry @DavoWPG...I completely spaced on the hardware pics. The weather has been so horrid the cover has been on the bike for the past week. Still want pics? I also have the hand turn fork cover problem, but in a 25 minute 65 mph commute my lowers stayed right where I put them. No idea how to fix the covers if they were too loose though. No help here on that.

First ride with the lowers this morning in balmy 30 degree weather. Between the lowers, an adjustment to the windshield, and the first day without 12-15 mph crosswinds...the buffeting was much better. I still want to find a windshield taller than 17" that will fit my hardware.

Sorry @DavoWPG...I completely spaced on the hardware pics. The weather has been so horrid the cover has been on the bike for the past week. Still want pics? I also have the hand turn fork cover problem, but in a 25 minute 65 mph commute my lowers stayed right where I put them. No idea how to fix the covers if they were too loose though. No help here on that.
Hey @wedge56
Thank you for your reply. I haven't installed the Memphis Shade lowers yet.
It is good to know that your fork covers turn (rotate by hand) but when you're on the highway the lowers stayed where you set them. That's good.
It would be great to see how you mount the hardware to the fork covers. A couple of close-up photos would be great if you don't mind.

Thx!
Davo

Hey @wedge56
Thank you for your reply. I haven't installed the Memphis Shade lowers yet.
It is good to know that your fork covers turn (rotate by hand) but when you're on the highway the lowers stayed where you set them. That's good.
It would be great to see how you mount the hardware to the fork covers. A couple of close-up photos would be great if you don't mind.

Thx!
Davo
Hope these help. Nothing hard, but it might save you some pondering.

Attachments

Actually now that I look at my own pics, it looks like the allen head portion of the screws should face towards the back of the bike not the front. I will have to fix that later. Just an amateur wrencher here. Fair warning.

Actually now that I look at my own pics, it looks like the allen head portion of the screws should face towards the back of the bike not the front. I will have to fix that later. Just an amateur wrencher here. Fair warning.
Thanks for the pix!
They show exactly how you’ve installed the lowers.

Actually now that I look at my own pics, it looks like the Alan had portion of the screws should face towards the back of the bike not the front.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.