Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So got my bike a few weeks and Ive taken a few longer highway rides and decided my top priority is a new seat and a windshield. Im pretty set on the memphis batwing ...i love the look vs a gaudy out of place windhshield. However im worried about airflow during the summer...im also getting lowers and the wind deflectors that attach to the bottom of the fairing. How easy is it to take off and put on the fairing for those warmer days/summer when you want airflow and arent on the highway? Im aware they make simpler windshields that are ment to be removed with ease but again I dont like the look. Also does anyone have a recommendation for a size of windhsield? My main concern is just getting no airflow and being too hot in the summer but im tired of getting beat to death on the highway. Any input owuld be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
40 Posts
so far i have had the slip streamer stealth shield and it didnt work at all, now i have the slip streamer ss-32-20 and it works well for airflow but like you i am interested in installing the batwing fairing for the looks but the price keeps me from doing it with out knowing if my comfort on the highway will suffer.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
comfort is fine, there is still a lot of air movement with out the buffeting, you choose the shield height, mine is a 5" shield, this bike is a day rider, on my classic i run a 9" for a little more protection from the elements while touring.. Lowers are must. Note ...the custom has a batwing that is specific to the bike.

see this thread ... http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19853

Once you get the hang of it, the on / off is literally in seconds.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
the one thing you will figure out real quick .... memphis shades controls the retail price of its products, they catch their retailers discounting ,,, its out of there real quick.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I love mine..... I've put a little over 15,000 miles on her now, and wouldn't like to be without it, especially in the rain...:-( I like to ride all year, so along with the added heated grips, I can comfortably ride down to the upper teens..... (with the appropriate cold weather snowboarder pants and leather coat) I use a 9" for wind protection...

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
i like to ride all year, so along with the added heated grips, i can comfortably ride down to the upper teens..... (with the appropriate cold weather snowboarder pants and leather coat) i use a 9" for wind protection
bbrrrrrr ......

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I bought my batwing (with 9" shield) expecting to use it during cold weather and ditch it once things warmed up but I like it so much that I never ride without it. I have noticed that sometimes the air gets sort of stagnant back there and I start to warm up. Wearing just a t-shirt it's still comfortable but I wore a thick leather jacket most of last summer and that was not always so comfortable. I considered getting a 5" shield for warm weather but I think what I'm going to do instead is just get a nice mesh jacket.

Like everybody has said, the MS batwing is on/off in just a few seconds.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I loved mine on my Sabre . . . One of the best mods I did - Easy fast on & Off . . . Great protection . . . I found the best price at bikerhaven . . . They were offering a 20% coupon for all MS products when I bought using code MS20 at checkout - try it - who knows it might still work - if not don't check out . . .

·
BOTM Winner, May 2013
207 Posts
When my wife and I bought our 900 Classic last year we had the dealer add a windshield. It was a Memphis Shades Fats with the trigger lock quick disconnect kit. I added a factory light bar last month and could not tip the driving lights up because the windshield was in the way due to the brackets pushing it forward. Rather than put out $400+ for a factory shield, I bought a batwing with a 12" shield. Since I already had the trigger lock brackets on the bike, I only had to purchase the supports on the shield side, bolt them on, and the batwing was plug and play. Now I wish I could find a good alternative to the ColorRite tri-coat so I can paint the batwing to match the bike. The local paint shop said that their camera wouldn't take a proper shot since it is tri-coat. I was hoping to just get base-clear to match, but it looks like I'm going to have to get the base and top coats from ColorRite for $34 each in rattle cans. I can't wait for warm weather so we can ride with the fairing though.

·
Registered
696 Posts
You bring up a good point. Painting the fairing, etc, can get quite expensive at $35 a can... I just got an MS fairing with lowers, still sitting in the box waiting for a decent day to install. I'd like to paint it to match my bike and had figured on having a local guy do it. I hadn't considered the possibility that he might not be able to match the paint.... :( I haven't decided whether or not I want to do the two-tone or a single color.

Maurice, your bikes look awesome with the matching paint jobs. How did you get yours painted?

thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey thanks for all your input everyone your 900s look great w the fairing! hey nitro do you have a link to your saddle bags ? i dig

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey nitro just looked up the bags...they look real sweet ...i see they are carpeted and waterproof...can you confirm whether or not they are indeed waterproof? also how is the storage capacity on them? can you fit a good amount of stuff?

thanks

marc

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Maurice, your bikes look awesome with the matching paint jobs. How did you get yours painted?
Kerry. they shoot the tank paint with a camera, plug it into a computor and it gives them the paint codes .... away they go. I also give them my front fender to check the match before painting. Find a paint shop that has one of these cameras ... they also had the pin striping (mataching) for my classic.

and my bullet fairing ...

·
BOTM Winner, May 2013
207 Posts
I love both of your bikes, but your Classic LT with the matching bags and trailer really impresses me. I bought a Vulcan 2000 windshield badge on Ebay to put on our fairing before I saw the pic of yours, but I hope you don't mind, I may steal some of your ideas! Our 900 isn't an LT, so it's solid red. I want to paint the fairing red , black, and silver, and trim it with gold to pick up the gold in the badge. Now I want to make a trailer and paint it to match the fairing. You have inspired me! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I don't like windshields, but on long trips or cold days, they're a must. If this sounds like you, the MS batwing is your ticket. Get at LEAST a 9" shield.

It goes on & off easy. Almost too easy. I worried that someone could walk by & steal it and never stop walking. Nobody really looks that close, though.

With:

Without:

And after all, that's what it's really all about.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts