Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would anyone else like to see a member map? I've seen some 'how to's' to create an open map so that those on the forum could add their location at http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-create-shared-collaborative-google-maps/. I think it would be fun to see where in the world the people whose comments I enjoy are located. It might also be fun to be able to connect with others in my area for rides. Would it be possible for the moderators to add a sticky for this?

Is anyone else interested in this? Please comment if you are.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think it's a great idea! I bought my bike a little over a month ago, and I'm always looking for somebody to go riding with!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The idea is good, Daisy, but maybe problematic.

In this day and age, many folks are concerned about personal information. Some would consider connecting their name with a location as an invasion of privacy. A whole lot of folks that visit the forum are lurkers, and (observing member descriptions) a number of members either leave their location blank or are non-specific (myself included).

It would work and be pretty cool if it was on a voluntary basis. Maybe one of the administrators could come up with a way to incorporate it?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of course it would not only be your choice as to whether or not you put your name on it, but you can also choose how specific to be. You could post your exact location, just your city, or even just your state. I just thought it would be fun to see the membership.

·
Registered
59 Posts
sold !

i'm in, grand idea :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Jeff,

I don't know if this would be applicable, nor how much effort and cost would be involved, but wonder if this could work?
http://www.zeemaps.com/
Not sure how external users / members only could enter their data????

One thing I not so sure I like is that it appears the data resides with zeemap.com.

I couldn't find one, but you would think google/maps or mapquest would have an app for either money or living with ads.

Woody

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've been wondering about something like this since i joined the forum. I like looking at where our forum members are from. I'm all in, if somebody can think up a way to do it.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
I was looking into the suggestions and there are issues. With the last site, I tried to see if I could display their test maps but it appears the API kit would need to be installed at the server level and not sure how much success I would have getting that to happen. Other suggested sites might work but would require everyone who wishes to have a "pin" on the map to create an account on the external site to post your pin. Not sure that all members would be willing to do that.

If I am wrong in my findings, please post back or other possible suggestions.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts