Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gentlemen, I'm a newbie to the forum and this is my first post. I have a 2005 1600 Classic, and just finished replacing the main wiring harness, due to a melted ground connector in the battery box. Any ideas as to what might have caused the meltdown? I've had the bike since June 2006, and it now has 65,400 miles on it.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,858 Posts
Sounds like a wire was grounding out somewhere. Make sure your fuses are the proper size, if you put a fuse in to big you'll create heat in the wire. Or maybe a pinched wire somewhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. It's wrapped in electrical tape and hangs down from the harness next to the front side of the battery.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
There is a jumper plug in that connector that can develop corrosion and melt the connector. You would not have had to replace the entire harness to repair that problem.

·
Registered
75 Posts
There is a jumper plug in that connector that can develop corrosion and melt the connector. You would not have had to replace the entire harness to repair that problem.
+1 on that. I just snipped my wires, soldered them together and connected them to a heavy duty buss bar. They are all grounds therefore it is not a short but a resistance problem. I agree replacing the harness was overkill as my problem is solved. I do know that I freaked out when I first found that glob of melted plastic under my seat. Problem surfaced with the gauges acting erratic and the bike running rough. Sfair talked me down off the ledge on this one for sure. For all the rest of you, do yourself a favor and find this plug and inspect it. Under the seat, forward of the battery box, wrapped in tape. If it shows even a HINT of melting, FIX IT!!!! Easy to do and might save you from being stranded. Since finding mine I have found numerous others with the same issues on their 1600's. BTW I have the exact year and model, seems to be somewhat common. Still love my bike though.
Find my post, "Speedo acting like a tach" and see if my pics look familiar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info and the encouragment, kybenz. When my meltdown happened, the speedo got real goofy then died, the motor backfired once then it ran rough. I limped home to find smoke billowing from under the seat.
I'm guessing the same thing could happen again, so I'm gonna follow your advice and do the fix that you did. Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
75 Posts
EXACTLY what mine did. First noticed that the speedo was dialing up with engine throttle, WHILE IN NEUTRAL, as well as riding, and then the bike sputtered. Pulled over, shut down, and restarted. Bike ran fine but speedo started acting up immediately. Rode home and stripped the bike to the frame looking for a short or chafing. Nothing, nada.....then I found that connector wrapped in tape. I first suspected that it might have been a mod by a previous owner until I unwrapped it. Once I realized thet it was a joint connector for grounds only and that they were all related to the issues I was having I went to the local Home Depot, bought a buss bar, that big copper colored thingie, it was a seven hole one so I ground off what i did not need, and cut, soldered, connected, and then taped up the whole mess and shoved it back in its hiding place after verifying that all my problems were gone.
You can see in the one pic the loose connector that actually started the heat build up.
I too thought that I was going to have to replace the harness until I realized that "The Connector" was labeled as Joint Connector for grounds. Piss poor design in my humble opinion. Had I only found the connector first I could have saved hours of work. Hint to all you 1600 owners out there. Wink, Wink, nudge, nudge,.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts