Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in central Indiana it looks as if the ridding season is all but over. So Im getting my scoot winterized, it a 2018 Vulcan S I bought new in Sept, and has 1,256 miles on it. I was thinking about a good easy way to measure the chain slack, so what i did was cut a slat to where it would fit in between the swing arm, and chain. Then I pulled up the chain and marked the slat, I measured from the bottom of the chain, the part of the chain closest to the road. I then pushed down on the chain and marked that also. When I pulled the slat out and measured the two marks they measured 1 1/2 inches
so if my measuring method is accurate my chain has way too much slack as the manual says it should be 0.4 to 0.8 Inches! If my measurements are correct, is that about normal for a new chain with 1,256 miles on it to stretch that much?
Thanks,
Paul

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Its possible that the slack wasn't set correctly from the beginning however. I'm not sure if the chain is put on in Thailand or if that's one of the things the dealership does in final assembly. 0.4 inches always seems way too tight for my liking, so I tend to set it around 0.75 inches and readjust once it's over 1 inch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for the info, as I said it’s put up for the winter, but the first thing I‘ll do with the bike this spring will be to take it to the dealer. My son is coming out tonight and he’s not seen the bike yet but he’s raced dirt bikes most of his life and did all his own work on them for the exception of rebuilding the shocks, but he’s never owned a road bike. Hes looking forward to seeing the scoot, maybe he can shed some light on if the chain is really that loose, or if my measuring method is wrong. But at any rate it’s due to go in for service first thing this spring. Thanks for all the advice.
Paul

·
Registered
904 Posts
The chain is already on the bike when it ships from from Thailand. It could be possible it wasn’t adjusted correctly, as I wouldn’t expect it to stretch that much over those few miles. I always adjusted it to 1” (25.4mm) slack, as the stock spec seems way too tight. (As a reference, the Versys 650 & Ninja 650 have it spec’d between 25-35mm) Measure the slack at the middle of the chain run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts