Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone that has had Mean City mod the seat on their 500 were you happy with the results? Did it give you any more room to back up at all?

I am looking at the memry foam mod, but would also like a few more inches to the back. (I know that's what she said) :)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I had them do one on a bigger bike.... but it was not much different positioning. ... in fact, if it lets you back up it will have to raise you up....? you want that? They really did very little except renew/change the foam and put a softer bit under the tailbone.... I was very unhappy with mine.....but some folks do like it...
Annie

For anyone that has had Mean City mod the seat on their 500 were you happy with the results? Did it give you any more room to back up at all?

I am looking at the memry foam mod, but would also like a few more inches to the back. (I know that's what she said) :)

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I had the double decker with a bit of shaving for the tail bone done on the front and the memory foam on the back. It got excellent feedback from a passenger test. The front was definitely a lot better, but still not an all day seat. After about two hours I'm ready to get off the bike for a few minutes. I probably torture test their seat work about as much as possible since I weigh in around 265 so results may be better for a lighter rider. They also get credit for scheduling a specific day to work on the seat, keeping to that date and shipping it back out that same day. The operation is efficient and the staff is very helpful.

·
Registered
26 Posts
MCC seat

I just made an appointment for nov. 7th. I am going with the double decker. As soon as I get it back I will do a two or three hundred mile day and report back. No help right now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had it done this past Aug. Since I'm only 30 miles away they let me come by and wait for it...great folks to work with. I had the double-decker done and moved back the front seating position about 1 inch (shaved the pass part that much in the front).

Before - I could ride about 1 hour and a half before I got sore (I'm 6'2" amd 250 lbs).
Now - I can go well beyond that (my legs need to stretch so that is mainly why I stop now).

It took about 500 miles (or 8 hours seat time if you look at it that way) to get the memory foam set to your position and the seat leather to stretch some.

In my opinion it was worth it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I had Mean city cycles mod the passenger seat on my V2K for my wife who has back problems. They did a great job, the seat is 5 inches wider but still looks stock - I am very happy with the job!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Best 100 bucks I have spent on the bike. They scooped out about 1" of the seat back allowing me to stretch out on the bike more. My butt hurt after 1 hr on riding on the stock foam and now I can ride all day. I wish they could fashion a bobber version for the 500, I have seen others on this site where Mean City assisted the rider's work, but I would just want to give MCC the bike and say, "do it". You might ask Robbie about that if you talk to him.

Thanks
Baudyboy

·
Registered
16 Posts
All this mods to the seat sounds good....I'm having the same problem with the discomfort for my rear and room for my legs....and I'll appreciate if someone can post some pictures to see if I can have an idea about the seat and do it on mine...thanks in advance....cuba1

·
Registered
26 Posts
All this mods to the seat sounds good....I'm having the same problem with the discomfort for my rear and room for my legs....and I'll appreciate if someone can post some pictures to see if I can have an idea about the seat and do it on mine...thanks in advance....cuba1
Cuba, I just had my seat done at mean city. I had them move me back one inch, and do the double decker. I have not went for a ride yet to see how the seat works. Just setting on it in the shed I really can't tell any difference in riding position. After I do a ride I will report back. on the comfort level. I am computer illiterate so can not post pictures, seat really does not look any different than stock, other than I had them leave the strap off of it. There is a guy on the harley forum that does a good photo shoot of mean city doing his seat. Google Photo shoot of my mean city seat. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My first ride on the bike since I had Mean City work on the seat. I did a two hundred mile ride today, and I really can,t tell to much difference in the seat. To be fair I understand there is a break in period. My ride was all secondary roads so the speed was not that great. About six hours on the bike. I am going to try and get a ride in tomorrow, will see if it gets any better. I had the double decker mod. and moved back one inch. cost was $140.00 it did not raise seat height any. Workmanship was very good. I am 5"8" with a thirty inch inseam.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I am just going to take it to my local upholstery shop and tell them what is bothering me and what I would like to do to the seat. The cushioning doesn't bother me, it's that steep angle up to the passenger seat that kills me on long rides. I would like to level it off some and make it less steep and maybe scoot me a back a few inches.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I think I am just going to take it to my local upholstery shop and tell them what is bothering me and what I would like to do to the seat. The cushioning doesn't bother me, it's that steep angle up to the passenger seat that kills me on long rides. I would like to level it off some and make it less steep and maybe scoot me a back a few inches.
I don't think they can shave off too much room due to the design of the seat. The memory foam helped, but I also added an Airhawk cushion that raise me up a little and doubled my ride time. I also added footpeg extenders from Scootworks that allowed me to stretch out a little more.

Here are pics of the extenders:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Seat mod

Well I did a three hundred mile ride today. About six hours seat time, My mean city mod is not much better than the stock seat was. The one thing I do like is I sit back about one inch further which lets me stretch my arms out a little more. Would I spend the $140.00 again? No I would keep it stock.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Thanks sincerely for the honest feedback. I had the same experience but I also know everyone's posterior is different.

I suggest you try an airhawk... I rode with one for years and works great... then when you get tired of how that looks.. :(... I suggest Russell Daylong.

Well I did a three hundred mile ride today. About six hours seat time, My mean city mod is not much better than the stock seat was. The one thing I do like is I sit back about one inch further which lets me stretch my arms out a little more. Would I spend the $140.00 again? No I would keep it stock.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Upholstery shop quoted me $250 for molding the seat which included a recover etc...I opted to with an air hawk based on GeorgiaRiders recommendation. Fits like a glove but have not had a chance to take a long ride yet. It does raise me up enough to cut the angle ofnthe passenger seat transition. We'll see.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts