Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have stock 888’s on my Custom, but am considering replacing them with Night Dragons. Opinions wanted and welcome.

So, true or false:
1) the slightly taller rear will bring down highway RPMs (even if just a little).
2) the Dragon front is slightly wider than the 888, thus providing slightly more bite and cushion.
3) both Dragons should fit without any modifications.

Currently, Metzler 888:
  • front 80/90x21
  • rear 180/70x15
Would like Pirelli Night Dragons
  • front 90/90/21
  • rear 200/70/15
It’s February here in the northeast US and the forecast for the foreseeable future is rain and temps in the 30°’s, so I’m killing time by plotting upgrades...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Following. I’m in North East as well. I have had good luck for wear and traction with my Bridgestone’s with 8k miles. But looking for other options

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have them on the front of my 2010 Vulcan 900 Classic. Can't really comment on the grip factor as this bike is a trike. But I have no complaints about the Night Dragon.

·
Registered
2008 Vulcan 900 Custom, Hard Krome exhaust
131 Posts
Interested in this topic as I need new tires now. Recently purchased 2008 bike has 2012 vintage tires....

CMOS

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Never ran Night Dragons. I ran 888s on my 07 Custom. Rear tire ran about 15000 miles. Don't remember the front. I only put the 90/90 888 (might have been 880) on once. It was slightly larger and looked really nice the way it filled the fender. But every single piece of gravel scraped the inside of the fender. Didn't hurt anything, but I hated the sound. There was only about 1.5 mm clearance from the new tread to the fender.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Never ran Night Dragons. I ran 888s on my 07 Custom. Rear tire ran about 15000 miles. Don't remember the front. I only put the 90/90 888 (might have been 880) on once. It was slightly larger and looked really nice the way it filled the fender. But every single piece of gravel scraped the inside of the fender. Didn't hurt anything, but I hated the sound. There was only about 1.5 mm clearance from the new tread to the fender.
@Steve B

Forgive me but I don't understand the reference to 90/90 "888"? Is this the same size tire that the OP is proposing for the front, 90-90-21?

Will the 90-90-21 have a clearance with the stock fender on a Custom?

Thanks,
CMOS

·
Registered
7 Posts
I currently have stock 888’s on my Custom, but am considering replacing them with Night Dragons. Opinions wanted and welcome.

So, true or false:
1) the slightly taller rear will bring down highway RPMs (even if just a little).
2) the Dragon front is slightly wider than the 888, thus providing slightly more bite and cushion.
3) both Dragons should fit without any modifications.

Currently, Metzler 888:
  • front 80/90x21
  • rear 180/70x15
Would like Pirelli Night Dragons
  • front 90/90/21
  • rear 200/70/15
It’s February here in the northeast US and the forecast for the foreseeable future is rain and temps in the 30°’s, so I’m killing time by plotting upgrades...

I hated them, especially the front tire. Choppy tread after one season.

·
Registered
131 Posts
90x90x21 fits fine on a custom vulcan :)
@concrete

Note: these Pirelli tires do NOT fit on my 2008 Custom:
  • front 90/90/21
  • rear 200/70/15
Neither the front or rear would fit. Saw this myself in the bike. The front Pirelli would run the inner part of the fender, top and sides. The rear tire dragged on the inner fender liner (No, I will not take it off).

Just and FYI - there DO NOT fit the Custom fenders.

Sine Pirelli does not make the stock tire size for the bike, I will be ordering the Michelin Commander III's for front and rear.

CMOS

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this was more about the night dragons, but the Avon Cobra Chrome 200/70/15 was a perfect fit on the back of my 09 custom.
In the stock photos you find online of the tire, it looks way more like a street bike tire than in person.
Just put it on Friday and Saturday I had multiple people talking about it while at a Harley event. It handles, really, really well.
You will notice a decrease in acceleration if your running light to light, going with the taller, wider, heavier tire, but totally worth it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts