Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went over 8,000 miles on the 888 today. Does not look to me like it has worn much....

DSCN1797.jpg

·
Registered
226 Posts
Wow! You had to average over 333 mph to accomplish that feat, I had no idea a Voyager could go that fast........ :D

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tread depth varies from a little to a lot even new. I did not gauge it anywhere when new. It has deep tread design to almost no tread depth new.

Wow! You had to average over 333 mph to accomplish that feat, I had no idea a Voyager could go that fast........
It's the new Kuryakyn afterburners....... much better than their Hyper-chargers....

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am using beads for the first time both front and back, and I am not sure I care for them. At 85-100 mph I do not have a smooth ride like I am used to. I will go back to static weights next time I think. As fart as beads making the tire last longer... I am not sure I believe that theory to much. Tire wear varies between riders. Some guys can go a bazillion miles or so they claim, in these forums recently, I actually think they forgot to document a tire change or two, and some can only get a few thousand miles before the same tire is worn out on the same model scoot.

Don't ask which brand/kind or how many beads was put in as I do not know...

But I will be going back to a CT when the 888 wears out....

On my original stock tires I got less than 5000 miles before they completely bald and cord was showing on both tires.... A car tire went on then. When the 888 came out I wanted to try it, I am very pleased with it, but I am a CT person.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Wow! You had to average over 333 mph to accomplish that feat, I had no idea a Voyager could go that fast........ :D
Made me laff!!!

I think it's something that can only happen out in Texas, being such a large state they can hide those things from the rest of us.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I am using the beads myself for the 1st time. I got about 6200 on my rear stock tire when it got to the wear bars, probably could have gone another 1-1.5k on it but dont like wearing them that low. Have my 1st CT on now and am undecided yet on staying with them. Had a Commander II on before this and changed it with decent tread left on it and will reinstall when the CT is done to finish it off. I have about 9k on it and about still have 4-5/32s left, wont be getting 20k on it I sure. I figure any tire I can get upto 20k on will do for me since that gives me a fresh tire every year and gives a chance to check out the bearings belt and such all at once every year and just enjoy riding more.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I work with a guy that has a Phd in Logic. His wife sent him to the store for a loaf of bread. She told him if they had eggs to get a dozen. He came home with 12 loaves of bread....

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got another 1000 miles on the ME888 since December... 9,200 according to my log book.

Looks the same it did last December....

Sure beats the 4,000 I got on the stock tires... going to take going back to the car tire longer than I thought it would....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey Bubba what size of 888 did you go with for the rear? I have an 888 on front right now and love the wear it's getting and need to change the rear before this coming summer trips get here.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Never ran the 888's, but I put the 880's on my BMW k1200lt and had well over 10,000 miles on them before they started to show any wear, and performance wise they were very impressive! Just bought a 2011 1700 Nomad a couple weeks ago, and I know what I will be running on that bike also...

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ive ran 880's for a lot of years. They never wore any better than any other tire for me. The 888 does go farther.

I have the 888 180/65 B16 on the rear. Stock size. But like I said, when it goes away I will go back to a car tire. I just wanted to try it. I doubt if it makes it through my summer. If it does... then....... maby another on as it grips the road very well.

I am running a SHINKO SR 777 series REAR tire on the front. It may last longer than the ME888. But it only has about 5k on it now. (still more than I got with the stock tires.) It handles all the rain we have had the last month very well. So does the 888. I have done my last 1000 miles riding in the rain. (Patriot Guard runs) It has rained non stop since the end of January here. Plus snow for the first time in 50 years.

The tires that came on my Voyager did not last two moths when I got it. Both were showing cord at 4,000 miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are the 888's and or Comander II's better then the Dunlop Elite 3's. Also will the Dunlop Elite 3 150/80 - 16 fit on the front of a 2009 Voyager?

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Only have it on the rear 40 psi

1 - 18 of 18 Posts