Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I got just a few miles over 13,00 on that ME 888 rear tire. Not bad. Not as good as a car tire. I think instead of running 40 psi I should have ran 38. Looks like it might have been a tad too much air pressure. Wore out dead center. Got cord showing in two spots.

Used beads for the first time front and rear. I do not think they are any improvement over wheel weights on tires that does most of its time doing less than 80 miles an hour.

I will put the car tire back on I took off.....

·
Registered
580 Posts
Looks like I got just a few miles over 13,00 on that ME 888 rear tire. Not bad. Not as good as a car tire. I think instead of running 40 psi I should have ran 38. Looks like it might have been a tad too much air pressure. Wore out dead center. Got cord showing in two spots.

Used beads for the first time front and rear. I do not think they are any improvement over wheel weights on tires that does most of its time doing less than 80 miles an hour.

I will put the car tire back on I took off.....
I got the same mileage with the ME 888 on my bike but I ran it a bit too long tho as it was flat in the middle and had cords showing also. I would rather have a tire that's a bit softer and has good grip in rain, etc and replace it every 10-12000 miles than have it last forever. My buddy has the same tires on his bike, and he has about 10000 miles on them. We just got back from a trip into BC, Canada with lots of curves and quite a bit of rain. He says he had a few times when his rear end broke loose in the curves, plus he can spin them pretty easy on take off. I have the Commander ll's on and am very happy with them so far. I liked the 888's but the rubber seems to be a bit hard and looses traction once they get high mileage on them. Here's a pic of my rear before I swapped mine out.

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
Dlars, I think you got about a thousand more than I would have run it, given a choise.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Ya I noticed the cords showing at a gas stop on the way back from a visit about 450 km from home. i wouldn't have gone to begin with if I had seen that patch before hand :frown2:

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Ya I noticed the cords showing at a gas stop on the way back from a visit about 450 km from home. i wouldn't have gone to begin with if I had seen that patch before hand :frown2:
they go fast toward the end.. but you need to spend more time bend over in the twisties... ther plenty more rubber on the sides.
13k is bout rite.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Told ya I am going back to a CT when I wore the ME888 out.
I got good mileage with the 888 and I am not complaining any (other than the price)

I got a Yokohama avid 195/60 16 from a local mom and pop tire business today for $68 and they will mount it for me when I can get my Voyager rear wheel (and old ME888 tire) to them. The owner is a member of the local Blue Knights, as I am also.... It will be a couple days before I can get to it. The Yokohama comes with 12/32 tread.... Amazon and Summit Racing has the Avid for $100. Plus free shipping.

·
Registered
580 Posts
they go fast toward the end.. but you need to spend more time bend over in the twisties... ther plenty more rubber on the sides.
13k is bout rite.
Not too many twisties here in northern Alberta unfortunately, mostly long straight (rough) roads. I did just install a set of commanders and took off for the curves of British Columbia about two weeks ago tho.....beautiful scenery and smooth windy roads :laugh2:

·
Registered
580 Posts
How do you folks find the car tires in the twisties at high speed, never could figure that one out. What hind of air pressure do you run in them?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
How do you folks find the car tires in the twisties at high speed, never could figure that one out. What hind of air pressure do you run in them?
Narrow ct's are better than fatt wide ones. It's still a bit more upper body work tipping them and holding a line. They want to stand up. Big tour riggs, gold wings love em. Big fatt cruiser bruisers are a beast. Mc tires fly thru twisties. Ct's need some bending over.. "Take that you bicht!"

·
Registered
560 Posts

Running 38psi - 205/60/16 V92 rated car tire, and its just like Ponch0 said. :grin2:

Extra effort is required yes, the Arkansas roads over labor day weekend proved that.. Nebraska is straight ars boring roads, but I can say that the car tire performed very well in those twisties, NO complaints..

It's a soft compound (sticky) tire, and will be due for change this winter, currently have 11k on it now,(put ct on Nov. 2014) would be on my 3rd MC tire now with those miles...

Have spare rim, with mc tire I will prly finish out the summer/fall on..

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back in the late 60's running Continental tires on those BMW's and HD's I rode a hell-of-a-lot more miles that I do now. And I still do pretty good.

I don't remember having to change out tires near as much as I do now days with those old narrow bias ply tires.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Back in the late 60's running Continental tires on those BMW's and HD's I rode a hell-of-a-lot more miles that I do now. And I still do pretty good.

I don't remember having to change out tires near as much as I do now days with those old narrow bias ply tires.
not too much different. I rode my Honda cb500f 1k miles week for a year solid, went thru 4 sets of tires. oil change every 2-3 weeks. points, condenser, plugs, valve tappet adjustments.. lots of hands on stuff back in the daze. carb sync once only cuz had the motor top end done after a minor crash.. cant believe the crazy stuff we did back then, but less cars on the road than today. poncho

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I got the Yokohama Ascend 195/60 16 tire on today. Went about 150 miles on it. It is the smoothest CT I have ever had on that back of a motorcycle. And I have done lots of 'em.... No tar snake, crack, uneven cracked road surface or gouge wiggles at all. After 4 tire pressure changes, I am using 38 PSI.... That seems to be the best. Started with 40 like I usually run, then 42, then 36, then 38...

Does tight twisty roads well. My speedometer is right on now all the way up to 100 mph. Not that I care as I use my GPS to see my speed anyway. It is a 85,000 mile warrantied tire. Will it get that much? Not a chance.... Even it it gets that much on a car, Yokohama is safe because the average person does not keep a car that many miles....

Installed, tax, out the door was $102 Sales tax here is 8.5 percent

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE ON CAR TIRE

Yokohama Avid Ascend tire wear
195/60-16
38 PSI
4 tread grooves
Installed 9-17-15
Tread groove depth measured left to right
Groove 1 Groove 2 Groove 3 Groove 4
12/32 12/32 12/32 12/32

Yesterday with 7,500 miles on it all grooves just a less than 12/32 but not quite to the 11/32 mark yet.

I am very happy with it. Also no issues pulling the trailer as usual....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts