Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what weight is too much weight to carry on the 900LT?

The manual says a max of 397lbs.

When my wife and I are riding two up, with gear, we are closer to mid 400lbs.

Anyone else have any experience there?

Tx

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Max riding weight has ALWAYS been a source of confusion for me. Most bikes, in fact all bikes I looked at puts their max weight around 400 pounds.
The wife and I and gear are 500 lbs....easy.
The 900 I swear doesn't know it (at least up until 120 kph). We don't ride much faster than that, it's why I bought a cruiser. We like to gently explore backroads etc...
That being said, I have never read any data exactly WHY (other than handling) such gross weights are suggested. Heck, I rode an xt250 for three years prior to the nine, and on those forums people frequently rode two-up. Back in the proverbial day when 400's were large bikes, folks traversed the country two-up on them. When I bought the nine, the dealer told me he and a friend rode two-up on the custom all day. (He is a friend) so I know it wasn't bull, anyways, he goes 290 and his friend wasn't much smaller. Other than being teased, he said the bike performed flawlessly. He was quite amazed (his friends bike had broken down on a long ride).
All this being said, I wonder about the mono-shock, how much can it endure?
Tire pressure is a major consideration (the nine's are UNDER-INFLATED) FROM THE SHOWROOM.
Finally, and ultimately, I wonder about weld-strength. That is the question that I've never heard asked. Does anyone know? Does "over-weighting" a bike pose any threat to that criteria?
I know one thing, I routinely ride exceeding the weight.....and the 900 shrugs it off as if we weren't even on it.
The one caveat is shock adjustment.....It must be adjusted to position 6 for heavier two-up riding. It stiffens the suspension significantly.
I hope this answers some of your concerns, and, I hope a welder chimes in regarding my weld-strength concern......or is it even a concern?????

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am not a welder by profession, but you'd have to have a pretty bad weld to be the weak link.
To me there are a number of things that may be of concern, but I doubt you are going to have a catastrophic failure. I think your biggest concern is frame rigidity, rear axle load weight and tire load rating . I would be concerned about axle load rating , tire load rating and rear suspension preload. If you overload the axle, the weak link is probably the bearings that may wear prematurely. The suspension preload just means you'll bottm out more frequently which may affect handling. I don't think I would intensionally ride if I knew I was over the tire load rating.

This is my opinion and I don't want to get anybody riled up but to me the 900 is a really nice one-up bike. Even short weekend cruises with 2 up are probably ok, but if you are doing any amount of serious 2 up riding I myself would be riding a bigger bike. I rode 2 up with my daughter to work for 2 months, and I just didn't like how the extra weight affected handling and and taking off from stops, it wasn't a big deal but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well the 900LT is no Honda Goldwing or Victory Vision so I can generally agree with rs900c that it's not ideal for long 2-up road trips. It's just not built with that in mind like those bikes are ... neither can it compare to the luxuries available on them.

With that said, when my wife and I ride 2-up with the bags loaded down we are in the 450-500lb range. It shifts smooth, handles great, and hums along like I was a skinny man ridin' solo. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
My wife and I are all of 425 and the LT feels the same with just me on it. Just make sure you turn up the rear shock (I have not yet). My wife gets a bottoming hit on hard bumps.
I don't even notice a change in the braking with both of us on it.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I am not a welder by profession, but you'd have to have a pretty bad weld to be the weak link.
To me there are a number of things that may be of concern, but I doubt you are going to have a catastrophic failure. I think your biggest concern is frame rigidity, rear axle load weight and tire load rating . I would be concerned about axle load rating , tire load rating and rear suspension preload. If you overload the axle, the weak link is probably the bearings that may wear prematurely. The suspension preload just means you'll bottm out more frequently which may affect handling. I don't think I would intensionally ride if I knew I was over the tire load rating.

This is my opinion and I don't want to get anybody riled up but to me the 900 is a really nice one-up bike. Even short weekend cruises with 2 up are probably ok, but if you are doing any amount of serious 2 up riding I myself would be riding a bigger bike. I rode 2 up with my daughter to work for 2 months, and I just didn't like how the extra weight affected handling and and taking off from stops, it wasn't a big deal but that's just my opinion.
Thanks for the good points.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know this is a bit late but I just got my classic a couple of weeks ago. I was concerned that my wife and I were at the max weight and that's what caused the bike to be a bit of a pain at stopping and starting. I appeared to look like a rookie. Turns out it was the shock adjustment. The manual says it's calibrated for a 150 lb rider with no gear or passengers. Ha! I'm 6' tall and haven't weighed 150 since high school. Adjusting the shock is a pain but it made a big difference in my ability to stop and start well. Together, my wife and I are probably right at the 390 mark.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dont take this the wrong way fellas but if I ride 2 up and she is pushing 200lbs, I am laying on that gas to try to knock her off every chance I get.. :eek::eek: Either that or I shouldnt be riding cuz I drank too much.. She just dont belong there. I bought mine to carry the ladies in the 105-135 range and nothing more..:D But thanks for keeping the bigger ones away.. ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
The one caveat is shock adjustment.....It must be adjusted to position 6 for heavier two-up riding. It stiffens the suspension significantly.
QUOTE]

So how DOES one adjust the suspension? Is this something a weekend mechanic like myself should attempt or better left to the pros? My gal and I plus gear probably push 400-450. I, like someone else who posted here, sometimes bottom out hitting unexpected bumps in the road if she's with me (which is more often than not).

Aside from that, I haven't really noticed any other issues with it; the bike has so much more pizazz than the 750 Vulcan I traded on it and is much better suited for 2 up and longer distances (especially with the new Mustang seat I just put on it).

·
Registered
657 Posts
So how DOES one adjust the suspension? Is this something a weekend mechanic like myself should attempt or better left to the pros? My gal and I plus gear probably push 400-450. I, like someone else who posted here, sometimes bottom out hitting unexpected bumps in the road if she's with me (which is more often than not).
All you have to do is pop off the seat, remove the left side panel and use the wrench that came with the tool pouch to turn the adjustment ring. There should be instructions in your owner's manual. It's so easy even a cave-man can do it!!!

I have mine adjusted all the way up. It may be a bit stiffer when I ride solo, but it's also a lot better when we ride two-up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
All you have to do is pop off the seat, remove the left side panel and use the wrench that came with the tool pouch to turn the adjustment ring. There should be instructions in your owner's manual. It's so easy even a cave-man can do it!!!

I have mine adjusted all the way up. It may be a bit stiffer when I ride solo, but it's also a lot better when we ride two-up.
Ok... I've FINALLY found it... was a tiny paragraph almost hidden in there. I'll have to give that a try when it stops raining here! Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Dont take this the wrong way fellas but if I ride 2 up and she is pushing 200lbs, I am laying on that gas to try to knock her off every chance I get.. :eek::eek: Either that or I shouldnt be riding cuz I drank too much.. She just dont belong there. I bought mine to carry the ladies in the 105-135 range and nothing more..:D But thanks for keeping the bigger ones away.. ;)
THIS POST IS OFFENSIVE. I WON'T BOTHER EXPLAINING WHY, AS, YOU OBVIOUSLY ARE A SNOT NOSED KID WHO HAS NO LIFE EXPERIENCE. OH, AND DON'T TAKE THAT THE WRONG WAY.....
UPON RE-READING MY REPLY, I APOLOGIZE TO ALL THE SNOT NOSED KIDS OUT THERE. I SHOULDN'T STEREOTYPE. AHEM.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm 200, my wife is 125. I pull a small trailer that's 170 dry. When we're all loaded up the bike hums along quite easily AND I have the Scootworks front overdrive pulley as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
THIS POST IS OFFENSIVE. I WON'T BOTHER EXPLAINING WHY, AS, YOU OBVIOUSLY ARE A SNOT NOSED KID WHO HAS NO LIFE EXPERIENCE. OH, AND DON'T TAKE THAT THE WRONG WAY.....
UPON RE-READING MY REPLY, I APOLOGIZE TO ALL THE SNOT NOSED KIDS OUT THERE. I SHOULDN'T STEREOTYPE. AHEM.
ROFL... I was thinking of some tactful thing to say in response to his post but I think you've put it about as eloquently as I could've hoped to !!!

The only thing I would add is that if he's still living when he gets to be our ages, that he will have drastically reduced his odds of finding any women to ride with him unless it's his own daughter or another female child in that weight range.

Sorry, dude... women don't stay that small forever.... (and, get ready for this.... neither do men....)

·
Registered
76 Posts
One other concern that might be pertinent to this thread is stopping power. If you overload the braking system, panic stops might turn into something worse than they normally are. However, by backing off on the throttle and paying more attention to traffic the brakes are probably going to work just fine. I don't know about the rest of you, but if my wife ever has to endure roadburn, I know I won't hear the end of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
trailer

I'm 200, my wife is 125. I pull a small trailer that's 170 dry. When we're all loaded up the bike hums along quite easily AND I have the Scootworks front overdrive pulley as well.
can you give me some info on your trailer, struck a cord with me, i though the 900 was too small to put one behind

·
Registered
256 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts