Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forums, so if this has been covered, my apoligies. i have been told since i started riding that motorcycle tires have to match--brand and series-in order to ride correctly. but seeing as how my STOCK rear tire is close to $200, a couple of shops in the area are trying to convince me to switch from dunlop to bridgestone, saying "they are all bias ply tires, there is no difference between brands" opinions???

·
Registered
525 Posts
It is the same with cars. In a perfect world they should match. But in the imperfect world we live in, this doesn't always happen. In the case of cars, it is good enough to replace them in pairs, but in bikes, well... I keep hearing of a lot of people changing the rear and not the front, so I would venture the guess that past OEM tires, very few actually match. I still have my OEMs on...

Oh, opinion : I would get the best rear you can, even if it doesn't match.

And no, they are NOT all bias, there are some radials out there. Maybe the ones you were looking at are all bias. It probably would be good to stay the same (bias-bias vs radial/bias mix).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Candyman stay away from bridgestone tires i have a 2007 vulcan 2000 classic lt put less then 6000 miles on the rear tire there junk. go with dunlop its a better tire got a 251 on rear now an its steel belted also put 3000 miles on it cant even tell it still got the oem on front. but i have alway ran dunlop on my other bike an got better service out of them. hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
on tire pressure? which does anyone recomend what is in the manual or on the tire. i put what the tire recomends and it seems the rear tire is wearing pretty thin after only 8400 miles. my wife does ride a lot with me though also. 2007 900 classic lt

·
Registered
525 Posts
Actually, for what I have read, 8K miles for a rear tire (motorcycle tire) is not bad. This is why there is a lot of talk about using car tires on bikes ("The Dark Side"). Apparently the compound rating on bike tires is soft so they wear out around this rate.

·
hasbeen
258 Posts
I mixed tires brands soooo often I don't even consider that as an issue. However, changing tire sizes (profile) makes a difference. Also, like mentioned you cannot mix bias/radial tires for some reason, can't remember why.

So far this season, I have had michelin, bridgstone, and now dunlop tires on my bike :):) Lots of miles and I like to try all the tires.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Actually, for what I have read, 8K miles for a rear tire (motorcycle tire) is not bad. This is why there is a lot of talk about using car tires on bikes ("The Dark Side"). Apparently the compound rating on bike tires is soft so they wear out around this rate.
Isn't that the point of using a motorcycle tire on a motorcycle, for the softer compound to grip the road better?

Gibby

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
softer=more wear---replacing tires more often

·
Registered
56 Posts
i am new to the bike world and still learning i need to replace both front and rear tires, there are so many brands out there not sure where to start.i seen a ad in a mag. for a brand tire duro? are these good, bad? thans for anyones help.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I just had to replace my rear tire on my 900LT at 5300 miles!!! It was down to slightly less than 2mm tread. Although the claim is that 2mm is OK for speeds less than 80mph, I chose to replace both. I've read of those who claim 10K or more from the stock Dunlops, I'd like to know how they did it. I don't race, ride two up, etc., yet mine wore like that.

I've not read a whole lot of good re the Bridgestone tires so I would shy away from those. Metzelers 880Marathon and the Pirelli MT66TOUR both have a good rep and reviews. I replaced with the Pirellis. A world of difference in ride over the stock tires.:D

As for air pressure, someone at MawKaw was having a bad hair day when they came up with 28lb of air for the tires. That's way too low. Most will run 38-40 rear and around 37 or so in the front. Expect to swap out one front for every two rear tires. You can usually save a bunch in tire costs by ordering online. Cost for tire changing (if they remove the tires) is around $55/tire.....less if you take off your own tires and carry them into the shop. There's a biker shop near me that regularly has tire sales. I bought mine cheaper than I could online, and they mounted/balanced both, including removal, for $20/tire since I bought from them. Couldn't beat that with a stick:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
tires

I am new to the forums, so if this has been covered, my apoligies. i have been told since i started riding that motorcycle tires have to match--brand and series-in order to ride correctly. but seeing as how my STOCK rear tire is close to $200, a couple of shops in the area are trying to convince me to switch from dunlop to bridgestone, saying "they are all bias ply tires, there is no difference between brands" opinions???
i run avons on my mean streak so far i like them & are only about half the price of dunlop.i will say dunlops seem to hold up better then avons but dunlop only makes a 200mm in one tire and it costs over $300 avon around $195 good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
tires

keith edwards i run dunlops check out Dennis Kirk web site you can buy tire cheaper there 200/60/16 was just $170.00 I just bought 2 tire from them an there dunlops but i have ran different tire on front an rear couldn't tell any different .... as for as milage goes about 6000 out of rear tire ... u tube as a few people showing car tires on rear of bikes was thinking about going car tire but ins. company said they wouldn't cover bike, so stayed with bike tires

·
Registered
8 Posts
How is the Dunlop holding up?

Candyman stay away from bridgestone tires i have a 2007 vulcan 2000 classic lt put less then 6000 miles on the rear tire there junk. go with dunlop its a better tire got a 251 on rear now an its steel belted also put 3000 miles on it cant even tell it still got the oem on front. but i have alway ran dunlop on my other bike an got better service out of them. hope this helps
I need to replace the rear tire on my 2007 Vulcan Classic LT. I currently have a 200 / 60 R16. Did you have any installation issues? Was the ride or handeling different?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Ride on!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Tires do not need to match. There are new bikes that have come with both bias and radial tires mixed on the same bike.
Radials will give better wear usually. Tubeless is also better/safer.
Sometimes I wonder where all this misinformation starts.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Much probably starts in forum discussions where we can say what we want and what experiences and information fed into our heads tells us. I agree with you Jimbo, tires should not need to match. Gotta watch what you believe and have some facts to back it up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts