Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue that has been puzzling me for a long time. The Master Link Clip disappears! The Master link itself has Never come apart nor do I know about the missing clip until I inspect the chain for cleaning or adjustment. I am installing the clip with the opening to the 'back'. I am in west Texas where the speed limits are high and the roads straight. The bike is a very high mileage '97 Vulcan 500LTD.

One of the chains that I noticed this on was a Tsubaki Omega X-ring 520. I was on a business trip when someone in a group noticed it. An instructor at the nearby motorcycle college 'safety wired' it. That wire stayed intact for a very long time but eventually came apart about the time the chain needed to be replaced, at 43,000 miles. The current chain is a Tsubaki Sigma 520 with about 10,000 miles on it. Another time, very long ago, it happened with a Regina chain. These are just a few examples but this has been happening all 'her' life.

What ideas do you have that would ensure that the clip stays in place? (other than the obvious of using an 'endless chain' without a Master Link)

TIA

·
Registered
246 Posts
don't use a Master clip

Chain rivet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM022oIyIC8

I have an issue that has been puzzling me for a long time. The Master Link Clip disappears! The Master link itself has Never come apart nor do I know about the missing clip until I inspect the chain for cleaning or adjustment. I am installing the clip with the opening to the 'back'. I am in west Texas where the speed limits are high and the roads straight. The bike is a very high mileage '97 Vulcan 500LTD.

One of the chains that I noticed this on was a Tsubaki Omega X-ring 520. I was on a business trip when someone in a group noticed it. An instructor at the nearby motorcycle college 'safety wired' it. That wire stayed intact for a very long time but eventually came apart about the time the chain needed to be replaced, at 43,000 miles. The current chain is a Tsubaki Sigma 520 with about 10,000 miles on it. Another time, very long ago, it happened with a Regina chain. These are just a few examples but this has been happening all 'her' life.

What ideas do you have that would ensure that the clip stays in place? (other than the obvious of using an 'endless chain' without a Master Link)

TIA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts