Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the new front brake pads last night and that was a fairly quick and easy job, EXCEPT that one of the two screws on the master cyl. cover would not budge and no matter how many different screwdrivers I tried, the head became stripped.
I ended up drilling it out and extracting it, doing zero damage to the threads and the master cylinder itself, thankfully.
This is not my first rodeo...

Thanks to the influence of my very mechanically minded late-father and his penchant for keeping old nuts, bold, screws, etc...I found an almost identical replacement screw (same head taper, same threads, similar length) in one of my parts bins.

So, after a few days of maintenance (new rear tire, inspect and clean rear brakes, new K&N air filter, oil and filter change, new front brakes) I was finally back on the road this morning, with no spare parts to be found.
Except for that stupid m/s screw... :laugh2:

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
You are not the 1st to have this problem. The screws are not actually phillips heads, but are JIS heads. They are close to being phillips, but not quite. You can get a decent set of JIS screw drivers from Amazon at a decent price. A good investment.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are not the 1st to have this problem. The screws are not actually phillips heads, but are JIS heads. They are close to being phillips, but not quite. You can get a decent set of JIS screw drivers from Amazon at a decent price. A good investment.
I like tools and I really like having the right tools, so I'll look into getting a set, thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts