Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
989 Kawasaki vulcan 1500 A
My kawasaki has 3 pins for the clutch switch connector and switch.

I don't want to bypass it but the new master cylinder i bought has a 2 prong switch.

Is there a way I can make it work without bypassing the wires? I am using an aftermarket master cylinder and the kawasaki switch doesn't fit on it at all.

Anyone have any ideas on anything i can make or buy?

Im trying to avoid 950 bucks for a replacement master cylinder that works and will fit that switch. See a better shot of the new cylinder below.

I just need this in a 3 prong and cant seem to find one.

Motorcycle Right Front Hydraulic Brake Master Cylinder Light Stop Switch Kit For Honda Shadow 400 600 750 1100 Magna 750

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RY4NCZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_yCalDbHW30QAD

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ya, that seems a little weird, most bike just have a two prongs. In the old days, there would be two wires in the clutch interlock circuit - one going through the neutral switch to ground and one going through the clutch switch to ground and the wires were basically 'Y'd' together (before going through there respective switches) with a diode so the neutral light wouldn't come on when you pull in the clutch.

In the new setup, the interlock circuit separates the two switches with the clutch switch providing a path to ground for the start circuit (1st wire) either through the neutral switch (to ground - 2nd wire) or through a separate connection to ground (3rd wire) when the lever is pulled - thus eliminating the need for a diode.

If you use a two prong switch and connect only the Black/Yellow and Black wires (leave the Black/Red disconnected) you would be able to start anytime by pulling in the clutch but you'll loose the ability to start in neutral without pulling in the clutch.

If you wanted to get fancy, could could get the 'start while in neutral' functionally back by adding the 'old diode' back into the circuit between the Black and the Black/Red wires with the cathode on the Black/Red side.

Edit: I came up with this based on an 2001 1500 Wiring diagram - yours may be different.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any ideas on how i can fix it or find a 3 prong switch like the 2 prong? The other issue is the 2 prongs are to large so id have to.modify them. Its a 1989 so its an older system and a bit out dated. Good news is my neutral light doesn't rely on the switch. The lever would have to be held even when started in neutral like that right?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no idea what you mean here im a total laymen. I got the idea but not fully.

If you wanted to get fancy, could could get the 'start while in neutral' functionally back by adding the 'old diode' back into the circuit between the Black and the Black/Red wires with the cathode on the Black/Red side.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up buying a new clutch master cylinder and switch new oem for 360. Sucks but i aint gonna have to jack around with crazy stuff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And i cant even order that part online now for the love of god this sucks! What can i do!?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Do you.know where the small rectifier installs? I cant find it. Below is the part and diagram.

21061-1003 Kawasaki Rectifier $24.60 - 2WheelPros
The 'rectifier' is a diode - maybe a clutch interlock diode (as described in my earlier post). If it is a clutch interlock diode it'll likely be in a very small square 'box' -smaller than a dime - (see pix below) that plugs into a stub off the main wire harness, probably near the rear of the gas tank.

So, if you're original clutch master cylinder switch has two poles (3 prongs), I'm confused as to the need for the diode - unless it's for something else unrelated to the clutch interlock.

I can't find a wiring diagram for a '989 Kawasaki vulcan 1500 A' (I presume that's supposed to be '1989' ) but the wiring diagram for later 1600 models show a single pole clutch interlock switch and a diode while the wiring diagram for my 01 shows a two pole switch and no diode.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its in the diagram i posted. Its on the right side. Its for voltage. I have a reg rec but this was a part ordered accidentally so im trying to find it now. It has nothing to.do.with the clutch although that is the correct image of what i have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts