Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I shoved a wire nut into the hose and it stopped the pop pop nose on decel. I have the tank off and radiator off because of a leak in the radiator and I'm going to replace plugs because I can get to them. I want to remove the air lines and do the marbling the right way. I know to put 1/2" caps on the heads but if I unplug this to remove it will it throw the fi light or any other light? Why else should i do while the tank is off? Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
It will probably trip the light. Won't hurt it to just leave it plugged in. They are iridium spark plugs from the factory, doubt that you need to change them as they should last more than 100K miles.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
It will probably trip the light. Won't hurt it to just leave it plugged in. They are iridium spark plugs from the factory, doubt that you need to change them as they should last more than 100K miles.
22ohm 5watt resistor will shut up the FI lite. Shitcan the air selenoid and ALL the hoses. Be dun with it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ponch, can you take a pic of the resistor plugged into it? I don't wanna sound dumb, but my electrical skills lack big time. Is this the resistor mod to gain more speed through the lower gears I hear about? Thank you for always answering, no matter how dumb the question is

·
Registered
578 Posts
Different resistor. What you are doing with it is simulating the solenoid that the connector is plugged into, tricking the computer into thinking it is still in place.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Different resistor. What you are doing with it is simulating the solenoid that the connector is plugged into, tricking the computer into thinking it is still in place.
bingo! pix tomorrow. resistor across the female connector, plugs rite in.
And you don't have to listen to that solenoid chattering. less is mor. better.

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
Looks a little over kill and I think you can find one closer than London. Look at the last picture he posted, the resistor is inside the connector.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw that it was on the inside but I can't figure out how you plug it in. That style just had 2 wires, do I just bend them and stick one into each hole and then tuck the resistor up? I'm sorry for being ignorant on electronics. I can wrench all day long, but can't wire anything

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yes, that is correct.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Question for Ponch

If I plug the heads and air filter, pull the valve and hoses and install the resistor can I ditch the FI2000R tuner or will I still need it for the exhaust?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
If I plug the heads and air filter, pull the valve and hoses and install the resistor can I ditch the FI2000R tuner or will I still need it for the exhaust?
Izzypop, if you rub on baby oil an go skinny dippin unner a full moon does the pooch still lick his nether region while the corn grows tall in the shade? But yeah ditch the bitch. or it don't really matter cuz theyr no relations?
Tuners are for richen up the mix. De'hoseifying a motor is like throwing Uncle Sam aka EPA unner the bus. It jus makes you feel mor better like runnin aroun in yor b'day suit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What's the best plug to get for the heads and do I have to buy the 22ohm 5 watt resistor online or does someone like radio shack sell them in store? I looked for the rubber plug but I don't know what can stand the heat and I didn't find anything the right size. Thank you

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
What's the best plug to get for the heads and do I have to buy the 22ohm 5 watt resistor online or does someone like radio shack sell them in store? I looked for the rubber plug but I don't know what can stand the heat and I didn't find anything the right size. Thank you
Autozone get a bag of mixed size plugs n caps for 2 bux. They fit all kinds of nipples n holes. No fear they will not melt. Yor motor no hotter n any otter. I jus gott dun plugging a dozen on my new ol Skool guzzi, Gertrude the goose. Man you wanna see wat it was like bak in the day. This is mor fun than.. Las project bike.

Radio shed gotts em.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Has anyone made any plates yet to cover up the ports on the heads? I would think this would be a more permanent solution since the rubber caps have the possibility to dry rot and disintegrate over time. Are the VN900 heads built in such a way that this is possible? (remove the hose connector from the head and replace it with a flat plate?)

I had this happen to the rubber cap on my VN750 when I removed the EPA crap. There were plates available to cover the ports on the heads, but the vacuum port on one of the carbs needed the rubber cap to block it off. After a few years, the rubber was so dry rotted, that it was no longer keeping a good seal.

Edit: Just realized this was in the V2K specific section :doh: Does the same resistor (5W 22Ohm) still apply to the VN900?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
ndr,, for 10cents you could just put new rubbers on yor sled every 10yrs or so.?

·
Registered
213 Posts
ndr,, for 10cents you could just put new rubbers on yor sled every 10yrs or so.?
True. I was also thinking of the "cleanness" of deleting those tubes. All in all, not a big deal, just the OCD side of me kicking in and wanting everything to be perfect.

I need to get in there and measure with my multimeter to see if I need the same sized resistor for mine.

·
Registered
246 Posts
NDr i machined plugs from some brass i had knocking around my shop and just used pratley steel and epoxied them in place. In SA we cant get the rubber plugs you guys are talking about.
The plugs are machined in a T shape like the head of a nail. Very neat result

1 - 19 of 19 Posts