Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vance & Hines on '08 Custom - stock baffle gone (previous owner removed) so i installed hard kore quiet baffles
ok... i read gadgets page and wondering if i should attempt the reed fix?!? i need to try replacing the gaskets on the exhaust 1st but here is my question:

After marbling, what does it mean if you still get loud big pops???

i mean... would an air leak at the gasket get enough air in there like without having the marble in the hose?? it's almost as loud and as consistent...

it is beginning to annoy the heck out of me because it makes the bike sound like it is running like crap... well it is on deceleration?!?! but power wise it is fine (that i can tell). i know peeps say a fuel manager is not necessary when the exhaust is only changed... but would it solve this problem?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Vance & Hines on '08 Custom - stock baffle gone (previous owner removed) so i installed hard kore quiet baffles
ok... i read gadgets page and wondering if i should attempt the reed fix?!? i need to try replacing the gaskets on the exhaust 1st but here is my question:

After marbling, what does it mean if you still get loud big pops???

i mean... would an air leak at the gasket get enough air in there like without having the marble in the hose?? it's almost as loud and as consistent...

it is beginning to annoy the heck out of me because it makes the bike sound like it is running like crap... well it is on deceleration?!?! but power wise it is fine (that i can tell). i know peeps say a fuel manager is not necessary when the exhaust is only changed... but would it solve this problem?
Does the decel popping occur at zero throttle or when you're at 1-2% throttle? Does it occur during the entire RPM range during decel or just before the engine reached idle speed? Yes, a leaking exhaust gasket will allow enough air into the pipe to cause decel popping. Also, if there's a vacuum leak somewhere causing the engine to run a little lean, decel popping will also occur. Check your hoses and caps.

·
Registered
719 Posts
As noted an exhaust gasket or vacuum leak will increase the likelihood of popping. The stock exhaust muffled the event. Except when I get lazy, I have to tweak my Fi2000 after extreme temperature changes or the popping gets worse. Decel slowly and most of the popping goes away. Kaw is behind other bike makers in learning fuel management programming for open loop injected systems.

·
Registered
976 Posts
If you didn't use new gaskets OR didn't torque them down correctly you will have leaks and you will have popping. Amazing how much suction occurs after the exhaust wave goes by.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Marbeling won't completely iliminate the backfiring. I will only minimize it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Just occurred to me, if you're having marbling problems with your backfire you should either increase or decrease your fiber intake.

I now return you to your previously running thread.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Just occurred to me, if you're having marbling problems with your backfire you should either increase or decrease your fiber intake.

I now return you to your previously running thread.
Good LORD! I just choked on my soda... "running" thread another funny?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool beans all... thanks!

the bike came with the V&H's on it... and to my surprise, I just checked the exhaust pipe bolts... ALMOST FINGER TIGHT?!?! geez... i could turn the wrench with my pinky?!?!

well i have new crush gaskets on order and will replace when they are in just to be sure. i know how gaskets can get "cut" so worse case is these are beyond fixing so hopefully new ones will resolve at least any leaks there.

i want to get the Fi2000R anyway because eventually i am putting a BAK on... but not until the funds become available!?!?

thanks for the input!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Nothing against the FI2000R but I upgraded from this to the PCIII and bike liked it better. Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea i thought about that one... but want on-the-fly adjusting and the PCIII has to be remapped by the PC right? ... oh, and I don't have any working PC's anymore! :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
You can also adjust the PC3 on the fly just like the 2000,3 ranges.I never have touched the buttons as its not that hard to fine tune the maps once you get one that's close.The map I have one member I got it from is running it like that I'm running it just leaner on the very low end & another added some @ the low end.They have the BAK & I don't.

I need to hook the PC back up to the bike so I can check my idle after removing the secondary throttle plates its higher now,tweak it back to 1000rpm's or just under

1 - 11 of 11 Posts