Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
What are you talking about? Marble a hose???

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea blocking off the one hose you do when you put on air kit which i don't need and i saw some one plug line on other side trying to stop machine gun popping on decel since i just put on v&h slipons on it would not be save to ride in some towns might think it was drive by

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
yea blocking off the one hose you do when you put on air kit which i don't need and i saw some one plug line on other side trying to stop machine gun popping on decel since i just put on v&h slipons on it would not be save to ride in some towns might think it was drive by
There's only one hose that gets air for the exhaust system and that's this one.

This will not cure the problem complety. There are other things that can be done.

·
Registered
169 Posts
There's only one hose that gets air for the exhaust system and that's this one.

This will not cure the problem complety. There are other things that can be done.
I'm glad you understood this ????

·
Registered
215 Posts
Same concept as the ol' "Airbox mod" in my sportbike days. It's known as the Second Air valve or P.A.I.R. valve on most bikes. It takes unburnt fuel mist from inside the air box and re-routes it through the exhaust valves to burn it off quicker. Kinda of a "smog" related thing. Block it off, and the unburnt fuel makes its way through the intake valves and eventually burns its way out, but will also crud up your intake valves a little quicker.
But the reason it decreases backfiring is because there's not liquid fuel mist making its way into the exhaust to burn off

·
Registered
364 Posts
But the reason it decreases backfiring is because there's not liquid fuel mist making its way into the exhaust to burn off
The PAIR Valve or "Air Injection" System as Kawi calls it, has nothing to do with recycling "Liquid Fuel Mist". It is simply filtered air that is sent into the upper exhaust tract to help ignite unburnt exhaust fumes that are already in the system. It is similar to the "air pumps" used on early polution controlled cars.

Blocking off the air intake to the PAIR Valve (or "marbelling" the hose) will not cause any accumulation of "crud" in either your intake or exhaust system. It will simply reduce the ammount of decel popping.

The worst that can happen is that some condensation might form in the PAIR system downline of the "marble". This will occassionally make its way into your exhaust and may result in a small puff of white smoke. This can be prevented by completely removing the PAIR Valve plumbing and capping off the REED valves.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The PAIR Valve or "Air Injection" System as Kawi calls it, has nothing to do with recycling "Liquid Fuel Mist". It is simply filtered air that is sent into the upper exhaust tract to help ignite unburnt exhaust fumes that are already in the system. It is similar to the "air pumps" used on early polution controlled cars.

Blocking off the air intake to the PAIR Valve (or "marbelling" the hose) will not cause any accumulation of "crud" in either your intake or exhaust system. It will simply reduce the ammount of decel popping.

The worst that can happen is that some condensation might form in the PAIR system downline of the "marble". This will occassionally make its way into your exhaust and may result in a small puff of white smoke. This can be prevented by completely removing the PAIR Valve plumbing and capping off the REED valves.
This is EXACTLY as I did to my 1300 Honda. Now, that you state Kawi has the same type of setup, I will be removing it. Do you know where blank off plates can be purchased?
I knew I needed a manual :D

·
Registered
364 Posts
1oldtimer,

Unfortunately, no-one seems to make the block off plates for the 1700 yet.

http://motorcycle-accessories.cruisercustomizing.com/accessories/Reed Valve Block-off?utm_campaign=sitechampion&utm_medium=sli&utm_source=google.ca

Barons only make up to the Vulcan 1600 so far. This looks like a job for the Chuckster!

Also, you cannot simply remove/unplug the PAIR Valve Solenoid without installing a resistor in the line or your bike will throw a code. I found the size for the resistor on the Vulcan Bagger forum, but the fellow who contributed this info also frequents this forum...perhaps he will chime in on this issue...again...thanks!

You wouldn't need the Reed Valve Cover plates if you shortened and securely plugged the air lines running into each head.

·
Registered
320 Posts
If the hose by the throttle body is the only air injection hose to block, then I assume the hose on the stock filter side is a evacuation hose for the crankcase??

·
Registered
364 Posts
If the hose by the throttle body is the only air injection hose to block, then I assume the hose on the stock filter side is a evacuation hose for the crankcase??
Based on this illustration, I would say yes...

http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/home.aspx#/Kawasaki/VN1700E9F_Vulcan_1700_Classic_(2009)/AIR_CLEANER/VN1700E9F-2009/I15I1589E1130

The crank case vent hose gets relocated to the right side with the Thunder and Chuckster BAK's.

Here's another good link with PIX...

http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29618

1 - 11 of 11 Posts