1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is probably the wrong comment, but at work today, all the bikers thought that this news was a bit ironic because he could have lived if he had been wearing the helmet he was protesting.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
This is probably the wrong comment, but at work today, all the bikers thought that this news was a bit ironic because he could have lived if he had been wearing the helmet he was protesting.
Nope.... its the right place ..... its just unfortunate that some think that in the name of "freedom", it is far wiser to die dumb than to live smart.

Do i feel sorry for him, not really, i would how ever, feel sorry for his family and his wife and his kids if he did indeed have some.

Two years ago, Lyn and i were foster parents to a 14 year old girl who regularly would ride on the back of my sport tourer wearing a ballistic touring coat, helmet and boots, while telling her mother, who was a 1% biker chick, she informed her daughter that she just wouldn't feel free if she had to wear a helmet or any of that protective stuff .... go figure.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Personally, I only wear a helmet when I go out of state. Tennessee cost me for a ticket and a new helmet once. Not gonna say its smart by any means. But I just don't like the government limiting the ways I can harm myself. I can smoke tobacco until my lungs rot from the inside, drink till my liver fails and I look like Homer Simpson, But god forbid I smoke a joint, forget to buckle or don't put on a helmet. They should spend a lot more time enforcing laws that keep people from killing those of us who don't gear up.

In my opinion, a helmet will probably save the majority of people who wear them. They do a good job. But for the most part, at least for me. Most of the near misses I have had a helmet would have either given my family an open casket viewing or put me in a position where I would wish for death. So I have mixed feelings about them. Bout the only thing our piece of shit governor hasn't screwed with is the helmet law.

Just my humble opinion, so please don't bite my head off! LOL! I already get evil looks from people who see me riding in my usual gear, shorts, flipflops and a tank top! LOL! I actually had an ambulance driver yell at me one day. "Get a helmet you dumbass"! Hahaha

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I actually had an ambulance driver yell at me one day. "Get a helmet you dumbass"! Hahaha
Thats because he is gonna be the poor bastard who has to scrape you up with a shovel and put it all in a body bag .... hahahah

Just my humble opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
DOT approval only covers crashes at 12-15 miles per hour, Snell is only slightly higher. I choose not to wear a helmet because I don't like to wear one. I know the risks and I accept them.

Personal choice.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thats because he is gonna be the poor bastard who has to scrape you up with a shovel and put it all in a body bag .... hahahah

Just my humble opinion.
eh, most ambulance drivers are cynical pricks anyway. LOL! A friend of mine (EMT) once stated, "The only thing a helmet is good for at highway speeds is to use as a scoop to clean the rest of you up"!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I work on an ambulance.. and I've seen A LOT of motorcycle accidents in my time being there... I wear a helmet :) after everything i've seen.. ya damn right i'm wearing a helmet lol.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
DOT approval only covers crashes at 12-15 miles per hour, Snell is only slightly higher.
All brand name helmets, and i do stress "Brand Name" far exceed the DOT and SNELL minimum standards .... while watching motorcycling racing on TV last week end, several riders came down at speeds over 180 mph. One in particular, schmucked his head while sliding down the asphalt only to jump up and try to remount his bike to finish the race.

During the post race interview they showed his helmet "on Camera" and the side of the helmet was worn as you would expect for a crash at that speed. While rider did indicate he was sore, the value of helmets and protective gear can not be understated.

Most pleasure riders do not understand that a helmet is only good for one impact regardless of the amount of force that it has received, IE ... if you drop your helmet from say 3 feet, it is done, pitch it and go buy a new one. They are only designed for one impact. I find it amusing that we are all willing to spend thousands on bikes , chrome, pipes and air kits etc, but balk at the prospect of spending $800 on a good brand name helmet. ( me included)

I have yet to see an brand name helmet not hold up its end of the bargain at any highway speed crash .... i have seen many heads that have not been able to achieve the same goal.

Maybe I'm a little sensitive due to 12 plus years of over the road driving, i see at least 2 good wrecks a day and at least one fatality per week, some involving bikes, most involving 4 wheelers, but bodies strewen all over the highway gets to you after a while, regardless of their mode of transportation. Most fatalities could have been avoided due to seat belts or helmets and protective gear.

While wearing a helmet or not maybe a personal choice for you, there is no choice for the family member who has to wipe your arse for you while you are lying there in a paralyzed state.

Just my rant for the day ... no more, i promise.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I ride with a group of guys very oftern and out of 14 only two don't wear helmets, husband and wife. A few have asked why and the answer they keep giving is "helmets make you look fat and we look better without it". I too work for a company that owns hospitals and I've seen a lot and truthly if I die in a mc accident I have a better chance to have a open casket.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Personally, I only wear a helmet when I go out of state. Tennessee cost me for a ticket and a new helmet once. Not gonna say its smart by any means. But I just don't like the government limiting the ways I can harm myself.
Personally, I don't get this argument at all.
It sounds like you are saying that if the government did not have helmet laws, you would wear one because it is the smart, safe thing to do. But you won't wear one because you don't like the government telling you that you have to wear one.

I wear ATGATT. Always. Helmet, armored jacket and pants, boots, gloves...everything I can. Often with a second jacket and shirt under the armored jacket and a pair of jeans under the armored pants.

Here in Houston, sometimes it does get hot. But once you are on the road it is not hot at all. I dress for the slide...and it does not matter if there is or is not a helmet law...

Rod

·
Registered
1,467 Posts

Just my humble opinion.
Understand that the guys protesting helmet laws are not protesting helmets. They (we) think it should be a choice.

The point is to make helmet laws illegal, not helmets.

If there were no helmet law here (NE) I would probably go without one half the time. I would still wear one on the highway, even without the man telling me I have to.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Here, in Nova Scotia, the helmet law has existed for at least 30 years. The kids growing up know, no different. Picking out a helmut is like picking out some bling for your bike...it's an accessory that saves lives. Once the old fogies (me) got over the fact of losing another personal freedom, wearing a helmet is as natural as putting your glasses on or your contacts in. Second nature.
I have an old country rode that stretches for a couple of miles before I get home. Sometimes I remove my helmet and remember what it was like to truly have my hair in the wind....(the hair I have left that is..., I digress).

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I wear ATGATT. Always. Helmet, armored jacket and pants, boots, gloves...everything I can. Often with a second jacket and shirt under the armored jacket and a pair of jeans under the armored pants.

Rod
Are you saying that there should be a law that says a motorcyclist must wear "ATGATT"? If not, you're kinda making my point. You wear all the armor because you choose to. I respect that, and would never stand in your way. I choose to dress minimally, and I accept the risk that it brings.

That's my choice, just as gearing up is yours.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Here, in Nova Scotia, the helmet law has existed for at least 30 years. The kids growing up know, no different. Picking out a helmut is like picking out some bling for your bike...it's an accessory that saves lives. Once the old fogies (me) got over the fact of losing another personal freedom, wearing a helmet is as natural as putting your glasses on or your contacts in. Second nature.
I have an old country rode that stretches for a couple of miles before I get home. Sometimes I remove my helmet and remember what it was like to truly have my hair in the wind....(the hair I have left that is..., I digress).
Do you remove your helmet on this isolated road because it is safer to do it there, or because there is less chance of getting caught?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Do you remove your helmet on this isolated road because it is safer to do it there, or because there is less chance of getting caught?
Because there is less chance of getting caught.....definitely. Most accidents happen WITHIN driving distance of home...lol.
I don't argue over helmet laws anymore....My wife is a nurse, and, she occationally does respite for some that thought going without a helmet was THEIR choice. I began to understand that having someone else ...um....do your personal care for thirty plus years isn't just MY choice.
I would never let my sons or daughter ride without......like I said, helmets are now a desirable accessory....
However, feeling the wind in your hair is a feeling like no other. I realize I'm contradicting myself though....so, it is what it is....
Ride safe Bill.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
DOT approval only covers crashes at 12-15 miles per hour, Snell is only slightly higher. I choose not to wear a helmet because I don't like to wear one. I know the risks and I accept them.

Personal choice.
Over the years I have heard all kinds of cockamaimy (sp?) "reasons" for not wearing a helmet, but yours is about the only one I respect. At least it's an honest statement, and I appreciate that. (30+ years as a LEO)

My personal opinion is that helmets save lives, though not in every case, but they do save lives. What I feel is that the choice to not wear a helmet, or other safety riding gear, comes down to personal responsibility. That is, we have others to think of when we engage in risky activities. While we can't make motorcycling safe, we can make it safer, but it all boils down to making the right choices with regards to our families, friends, loved ones, employers who count on our being there for them. Somehow I feel that "freedom" isn't really free, and that it entails responsibility on our part. Think, what would be consequences be if I crash without wearing the proper safety gear. Who would that adversely affect? Who would that impact my children if I die, or what burden would I place on others who may have to care for me if I crash and become physically dependent on others for nearly everything? Just stuff to think about when not wearing a helmet while riding. These kinds of personal "freedom" choices involve others who depend on us, and go beyond the personal level.

Think about it.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Over the years I have heard all kinds of cockamaimy (sp?) "reasons" for not wearing a helmet, but yours is about the only one I respect. At least it's an honest statement, and I appreciate that. (30+ years as a LEO)

My personal opinion is that helmets save lives, though not in every case, but they do save lives. What I feel is that the choice to not wear a helmet, or other safety riding gear, comes down to personal responsibility. That is, we have others to think of when we engage in risky activities. While we can't make motorcycling safe, we can make it safer, but it all boils down to making the right choices with regards to our families, friends, loved ones, employers who count on our being there for them. Somehow I feel that "freedom" isn't really free, and that it entails responsibility on our part. Think, what would be consequences be if I crash without wearing the proper safety gear. Who would that adversely affect? Who would that impact my children if I die, or what burden would I place on others who may have to care for me if I crash and become physically dependent on others for nearly everything? Just stuff to think about when not wearing a helmet while riding. These kinds of personal "freedom" choices involve others who depend on us, and go beyond the personal level.

Think about it.
We all take risks for the sake of entertainment and excitement, and riding a motorcycle is more risky than some other activities. The fact that you take precautions with your loved ones in mind is admirable, but in my opinion it should be your choice, not that of some government mucky-muck looking at charts like the ones posted on page 1.*EDIT* Oops, wrong thread. The bogus charts are in a thread in the General Vulcan Talk area.

No one is saying that anyone should not wear a helmet.

We could make it mandatory to outfit all bikes with modulating headlights, since a great number of accidents involve a cager not noticing a bike. I wouldn't want that, I find them annoying. But if someone wants to use one, I understand. Again, it should be their choice.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I wonder if those that have never ridden without a helmet would consider removing them for a mile on an old country rode....just to get a sense of what those that don't wear helmets are talking about. I am pro-helmet, don't get me wrong, but, the feeling of the wind whipping through your hair on a hot summer day is indescribable. It's kind like eating pizza all your life, and, just for the heck of it, adding cheese...lol. Bill makes a good point..there are so many things that COULD be made mandatory, like self canceling turn signals for instance. I can't tell you how many folks ride endlessly with their blinker on....new, impatient drivers think they are turning....those that are aware know it just means the bulb is working...lol. Anyways, this is a topic akin to "What oil do you use"...it won't ever be solved, but, it CAN be talked about rationally on occasion. I am in the middle, professional fence sitter. I know helmets save lives, I hate choice being mandated....and......I have felt the wind whip through my hair.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.