Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife gifted Eljay with a set of Cobra 2 into 1 Pro Pipes for Christmas, which I installed with the greatest of ease (cough...cough). I realy like the sound, but boy they sure are loud. So my question is this.: Who out there has installed a set of these on their 900 and then did something to turn down the volume a bit and how did it work out for you? The two best options I've come across is either a baffle insert or add some fiberglass wrap around the baffle on the inside. The only baffle insert I could find for the Pro was the Hard Core from Smartpartz. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the HK Sideburner so I know where your coming from. I've just learned to live with it. One word of advice, wear earplugs on long trips or you will go crazy!

How about a picture? I'd love to see what ole Eljay looks like with the new pipes.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Eljay with the new Cobra Power Pro Pipes...:D... and BTW, yesterday on the way to work I set off a car alarm when I rode by it... that's loud!!! I ordered the Smartpartz insert this morning and should have it by Saturday...:cool: Too bad they killed the BOTM section. I was waiting for this and had planned to submit Eljay this month. :eek: Oh well...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the HK Sideburner so I know where your coming from. I've just learned to live with it. One word of advice, wear earplugs on long trips or you will go crazy!

How about a picture? I'd love to see what ole Eljay looks like with the new pipes.
I also have the HK Sideburners.......loud but I love 'em!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Question

Hey Bones,,,,,,do you have a fuel management system on your bike and a different air filter or both. Let us all know please. Thanks!!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I took a stock air filter and inserted a cut down K&N filter element (I had one laying around). The air filter cover is after-market and was a gift from my wife. At the moment, I do not have a fuel management device. The pipes deffinately increased the power. My next project will be to install my overdrive pulley which I got from Scootworks last summer. I just need to buy a motorcycle jack stand (there's a Harbor Freight near here).

·
Registered
397 Posts
Bones... that's also the best photo yet of the Day Long seat as far as lighting goes. Can really see the detail now. Looks plush, man! Alright, you can have honorary BOTM for January.

·
Registered
369 Posts
n

I took a stock air filter and inserted a cut down K&N filter element (I had one laying around). The air filter cover is after-market and was a gift from my wife. At the moment, I do not have a fuel management device. The pipes deffinately increased the power. My next project will be to install my overdrive pulley which I got from Scootworks last summer. I just need to buy a motorcycle jack stand (there's a Harbor Freight near here).

thats a cool looking bike man, it looks like you have a ton of modifacations to your bike. im sorry i cant help about your noise problem. i was just wondering where your from? theres freking a foot of snow here in northern indiana and i hate waiting until spring

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm basically in the Big Tomato (or Sacratomato). Fair Oaks is a burb of Sacramento. I couldn't ride to work for 3 days here recently so I can't even begin to imagine having to have PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) for 3-5 months. I lived in Colorado Springs for 4 years (1980-84) when I was stationed at the Air Force Academy Hospital and the kindest thing I can say about my winters then compared to now is you don't have to shovel fog!!! I just don't do snow very well. Today's weather calls for clouds and a high of 59... Bummer... NOT!!! I'll be out and about setting off car alarms this afternoon running errands.
As for the mods, yup, there's a few and the nice part is I still come in several grand below a Harley. My coworker has more than $18G's more in his than I have in mine and the funny thing is he won't ride in anything less than about 50 degrees. Self imposed PMS... go figure!!! I hope the snow clears soon for you and your ride...;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am planning on buying these exact pipes (Cobra Power Pro HP 2-1) in March for my 09 900 Custom. I really love the look. :cool:

A couple of quick questions.....if you don't mind (I've never changed out pipes on a bike before).

How was the installation? Were there any pitfalls or things that you ran into worth mentioning? Do you remember the torque settings on the head studs?

Thanks,
-Ed

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am planning on buying these exact pipes (Cobra Power Pro HP 2-1) in March for my 09 900 Custom. I really love the look. :cool:

A couple of quick questions.....if you don't mind (I've never changed out pipes on a bike before).

How was the installation? Were there any pitfalls or things that you ran into worth mentioning? Do you remember the torque settings on the head studs?

Thanks,
-Ed
The instructions are a bit vague in a couple of places, but clear enough to do the job. If you're worried about torque, I'd use whatever Kawasaki recommends for the stock pipes. Otherwise, just be careful to not overtighten.
First off, put new gaskets on the pipes. You local dealer should have them. Follow the instructions carefully. It's really not difficyult to do. Do not tighten anything until the instructions tell you to. Be patient.
The hardest part was after loosly bolting on the two header pipes, you have to insert the muffler section onto both of them at the same time. While one peson can certainly do it, having a second pair of hands won't hurt. The instructions tell you to tap the muffer onto the two pipes with your hand. I used a rubber mallet and took almost a half hour gently tapping them together. Once it's on, you'll be able to bolt the muffler to the provided bracket. Make sure there are not any openings on the slits where the three peices come together.
Be sure to tighten in the order the insrtuctions tell you, but before doing that, I suggest you loosely tighten the headers to the exhaust port before tightening everything down.
There are three pieces to the heat shield. The one at the juncture is put on last and goes over the end of the other two. If it doesn't line up at first, loosen the bands holding the two shields on and retighten. Again, be patient and you'll keep from scratching the chrome.
Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks RB! I am a little nervous messing with the exhaust but I can't wait to get it done. :)

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Eljay with the new Cobra Power Pro Pipes...:D... and BTW, yesterday on the way to work I set off a car alarm when I rode by it... that's loud!!! I ordered the Smartpartz insert this morning and should have it by Saturday...:cool: Too bad they killed the BOTM section. I was waiting for this and had planned to submit Eljay this month. :eek: Oh well...

They still have the bike BOTM if you want to enter.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I saw that this morning. I need to take a couple more pics (so I can make a proper presentation) and it'll be there... no later than Monday. Yaaaahoooooooo:D:D:D

·
Registered
487 Posts
I saw that this morning. I need to take a couple more pics (so I can make a proper presentation) and it'll be there... no later than Monday. Yaaaahoooooooo:D:D:D
Git'er in there Bones. Ya got my vote.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts