Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up my new ride last night (09 900 custom). 37 miles home and I'm still grinning like fool. This is such a different ride than my 750 was. My 750 was a great bike for someone who hadn't ridden in 35 years but now that I have a few years under my belt this step up is is just what I was looking for.

Ron

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome and I purchased my 09 SE back in late April and the smirk has not left my face yet!!!! Congrats on the new ride. You will LOVE it!!!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I picked up my 09 900LT about 3 weeks ago. A couple days after my BIL picked up his V Star 950. And after a few weeks of riding together he is so jealous, I think the V star is fine but he wants mine so bad he can't stand it.
:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride!
And it gets better each day.

·
Registered
87 Posts
So I picked up my new ride last night (09 900 custom). 37 miles home and I'm still grinning like fool. This is such a different ride than my 750 was. My 750 was a great bike for someone who hadn't ridden in 35 years but now that I have a few years under my belt this step up is is just what I was looking for.

Ron
I traded in my 750 as well. Miss the shaft drive and low maintenance. But i am enjoying the heft and the power of the 900. Not to mention the great looks !

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I traded in my 750 as well. Miss the shaft drive and low maintenance. But i am enjoying the heft and the power of the 900. Not to mention the great looks !
Yeah having shaft drive was a nice feature (as were the self adjusting valves) but I agree with all your points about the 900.

R

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I traded in my 750 as well. Miss the shaft drive and low maintenance.
I sure don't miss a shaft drive, i never liked the feel of one.

You miss the low maintenance? What maintenance are you doing to the belt?

·
Registered
85 Posts
700 miles later and my grin keeps getting bigger (not while I'm riding though I'll eat too many bugs). I love riding my 2010 custom. It's BIKE NIGHT here in York Pa. gonna sport her around town tonight!!!!!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Nearing 14,000 miles, and have had my beast for a year and a half. I don't think the smile will *ever* go away. ;) Congrats on the new ride!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I whole heartedly agree with you all, I've had my 08 Custom for 2 years and love it, riding is the best whether it's commuting to work or cruising the back country.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I sure don't miss a shaft drive, i never liked the feel of one.

You miss the low maintenance? What maintenance are you doing to the belt?
Yup the damn belt. Had to get a lift, lift the bike, tie it down. Getting the castle nut open with the mufflers on... adjust the wheel so they are balanced and equal on both sides... Sheeeeeeeeeeeesh....

I dont even want to talk about the shim business with the valve adjustment.

I loved the shaft drive. Applying lithium grease on the splines was a pain, but other than that....

There is a drag on the shaft compared to a belt or a chain, but it felt solid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased my Custom just 2 weeks prior to a deployment to Afghanistan. I enjoyd every bit of the riding I got in before I left and I am looking forward to riding it when I get home.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ooh, Kingpin... that would be painful to only have the new bike two weeks and then have to leave it alone. We hope you return home safely!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Be safe Kingpin. Thank you for all you do. Freedom isn't free.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had my 2008 900LT for 2-1/2 weeks now. I've ridden every chance I have had
(it has rained almost every day). I too have fallen in love with this machine. This is the most fun I have had in years! Hopefully, tomorrow's front will pass through early enough so I can get in a nice ride in the hill country (San Antonio erea).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Third summer on my '08 Custom and enjoy it everytime I take it out. It had been almost 25 years since I had a bike and something about it caught my eye. Last bike I had was a Yamaha 650 Special with shaft drive. Can't say I ever had issues with it but the belt is pretty smooth on the 900. I made the "mistake" of taking the GF for a ride and now she's hooked. I ride to work when I can and we'll do weekend breakfast or dinner rides. It's a fun way to travel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts