Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Making my passenger (wife) happy!? - Seats & Backrests

I'm a new 2012 Vaquero owner. I am just starting the expensive fun of ordering accessories and add-ons for my bike, and I need to ensure my wife (passenger) is happy, so a passenger backrest (sissypad) is a must.

From what I've seen/read around here, the KQR backrest from Kawasaki is a nice looking option, but it's kinda short and might not provide the best back support. (Yes/No?)

I've bought Mustang seats before, so that's an option (e.g., the link below). I'm a little torn about doing that as I've actually found the factory seat to be pretty darn comfortable for myself, but there's definitely a lack of padding for the passenger, so I'm thinking the prudent thing is to get a better seat that provides more cushion for my sweetheart.

Any thoughts?

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/vintage-w-driver-backrest-and-passenger-backrest-receiver-kawasaki-vaquero-11-newer/part/M-79688?utm_source=adwordsfroogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=adwordsfroogle&utm_content=79493&gclid=CN-u1MXqtr4CFShnOgodB10Aug

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I'm a new 2012 Vaquero owner. I am just starting the expensive fun of ordering accessories and add-ons for my bike, and I need to ensure my wife (passenger) is happy, so a passenger backrest (sissypad) is a must.

From what I've seen/read around here, the KQR backrest from Kawasaki is a nice looking option, but it's kinda short and might not provide the best back support. (Yes/No?)

I've bought Mustang seats before, so that's an option (e.g., the link below). I'm a little torn about doing that as I've actually found the factory seat to be pretty darn comfortable for myself, but there's definitely a lack of padding for the passenger, so I'm thinking the prudent thing is to get a better seat that provides more cushion for my sweetheart.

Any thoughts?

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/vintage-w-driver-backrest-and-passenger-backrest-receiver-kawasaki-vaquero-11-newer/part/M-79688?utm_source=adwordsfroogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=adwordsfroogle&utm_content=79493&gclid=CN-u1MXqtr4CFShnOgodB10Aug
If you are happy with the seat of the Vaquero, try the seat & pillion seat & backrest, from the Nomad, also a Cobra carry rack

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Congrats on the mean green vaquero. That color almost had me, but couldn't justify it over the voyager.

I would say get the mustang with backrests for when your wife rides and pop on the OEM seat when you ride solo. IMO the vaquero looks best without a passenger backrest.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. I'm leaning towards the Mustang because I've had them before and the backrests are pretty comfy. I don't want to do a full trunk/backrest, at least not at this time, so the Mustang or a Russell Day-Long might be my best options, but I think the Mustang solution is the least expensive when it's all said and done.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have the Mustang seat and my wife complained she didn't have enough back support because the Mustang lifted her higher from the stock seat. I ordered the Mustang sissy bar pad to match the seat and it worked out great because not only it matched but it also gave her about 3" more back support and it made a world of difference for her. Here's a couple of pics of before and after.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Diehard.

To all Mustang owners: How does your tailbone feel on the Mustang? My complaint with factory seats has usually been tied to tailbone pain that I feel within 30 minutes of riding. I was surprised by the factory seat on the Vaquero because it seems to give a nice wide contoured area of butt support.

The Mustang seems flat and less contoured.

I've had the Mustang wide touring seats on two previous Honda cruisers (Shadow 750 & VTX 1300), and once broken in, they were good but not "all day long" good.

?

·
Registered
434 Posts
When I had my Vaquero the Mustang seat was much better then the factory seat. Long rides never found it uncomfortable. My wife definitely liked the wider seat for her and I had both drivers and passenger backrest. The drivers I never took off I liked it so much better than without the backrest. My wife did not like the back rest riding so low on her back so now I own a Gold Wing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I tried making the OEM work by carving it up, gel,... couldnt get it to be comfortable. I've had Mustangs and Corbins on my other tourers, so I went back to Mustang. Fabbed up drivers and passengers backrests.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried making the OEM work by carving it up, gel,... couldnt get it to be comfortable. I've had Mustangs and Corbins on my other tourers, so I went back to Mustang. Fabbed up drivers and passengers backrests.
Very nice! I ended up getting a Mustang wide touring with drivers backrest. I do have a few small complaints... The Mustang scooted me forward an extra inch or so from the factory seat. I feel like I'm closer to the gas tank now, which I wish wasn't the case. I've only put about 500 miles on my new Mustang seat too, and I hope it breaks in (softens up) more soon.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Same for me, didnt like being that far forward, but over time, I've gotten used to it. I mounted hiway pegs to the front of my 'boards and that helped move my feet up...

·
Registered
547 Posts
Ultimate out of Florida. Advertising says they retain factory seat position and slightly softer than a Mustang. I'm trying one eventually. The stock seat is great up to 200 miles but too soft after that, no latteral support for my thighs.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I wonder if those saddlebag guards on the Vaq will go on a Voyager.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts