Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished making an adapter that will fit in any trolly jack.I used bed angle iron (found in the garbage) took measurement under bike ,make out the frame and welded it together .Made cutout for the kickstand wire (very important not to get this wire damaged) and rear protrusion.i designed it in in such away as no part will touch the engine. I worked out the center of gravity of the bike to coincide with middle of adapter.The adapter then bolt to existing plate on the top section of lift.i welded two nuts on edge,when fastened it keep adapter steady,also the adapter can rotate.this set up lift the bike in the air perfectly balanced(one man operation) I have changed front and rear tires by mysef. total cost $5.00

next article==designing a mc adapter to fit HF tire changer.

Attachments

·
Registered
941 Posts
That is very cool. I have been wanting to get a motorcycle jack, but the frame on this bike and the drop in the engine are troublesome.
Does the piece of square iron have to be so long or do think it could be shortened up?
What size angle and square is that?
Do you think that putting foam on the angle would be problematic? I am just thinking so the paint doesn't get scratched.
A diagram with measurements would be awesome. Cuz I don't have a welder and I would have to take it somewhere and to lay it out and just bring it in would be ideal.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This design is for the vulcan 900.It can be modified to accommodate any bike.
The length of the angle iron is to increase the surface area making wider base.The 550 lbs bike weight is expressed to the center of the jack plate (center of gravity)when a wheel is take off ,weight is taken off a part of the bike but the center of gravity is still within the base(long iron area) thus initiating static stability.also note the trolly jack is 90 degree to the bike.Yes u can use thin high density foam(packaging mat) into the angle iron(good Idea) I have no scratching problem,the bike has no movement, the tube frame sits in the v . I HAVE LIFTED MY BIKE HIGH IN THE AIR , ROCKIT SIDE TO SIDE NO TOPPLE OVER .(applied physics at work) One very important thing is to mArk off where the kick stand switch is meeting the angle iron and make cutA'way,also no part of the adapter must touch engine. I was going to install 4 clamps to hold down the frame,but after a number of tests ,don"t need it.I have changed front and back tires without any assistance.

a note of caution ,hydraulic JACKS cannot be trusted 100% so 2 jack stand ,bring down some of the weight of bike on them and u good to go

i will post the exacts specs for u PM,u need help i am willing to assist

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OH I FORGOT,THE ANGLE IRON IS REGULAR BED FRAME ( i found it in the garbage)I use it in a lot of projects==has high deformation characteristics and high carbon and its free.

·
Registered
941 Posts
The jack I have currently is a cheap 1 1/2 ton with a pretty small plate. Maybe 2 inch diameter, nothing like that monster plate like yours.
I understand that the angle iron needs to be long, but the box iron beneath. Does it need to extend so much? I am just thinking of weight to move around the garage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts