Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Vulcan 900 Classic with Cobra pipes, BAK, Fi2000 fuel module, and LED bulbs. Everything else modified is cosmetic.

Background: Since I bought my bike used about 1500 miles ago, it has popped horribly on decel, to the point I feel I am causing people with PTSD to have a panic attack. Seriously, it sounds like gunfire.

So yesterday morning I traced both hoses from the air box to the engine heads to verify nothing wierd is going on. Plugged both hoses with electrical caps (1 was slightly larger than the other). I started the bike while still in the garage, it started just fine, purred like normal and when I revved it no popping. So far so good. I rode it about 15 miles. When I stopped, I noticed oil had been "sprayed" all over the front of the bike and on my left leg & foot. I figured out oil was leaking from somewhere ABOVE the radiator fan, dripping down onto the radiator fan or the radiator, and the fan was spraying the oil onto the bike (and me). I did my best to clean up all the oil, I tightened all the hose clamps I could find (none were loose), but I could not pinpoint the source of the leak.

I then went on another short 15 mile ride and this time I had to stop because my left leg started to get soaked and the bike was getting hot, AND the fan was running while cruising around 60mph... I figured I was running too low on oil. Same thing as before, oil everywhere on the bottom and front of the bike, and my left leg was soaked. I say left leg because the fan rotates in that direction so it makes sense. I had to get the bike towed and now its in the shop.

I want to know if anyone else has experienced this or can provide any insight. I am pretty good with figuring out issues and fixing them, but I am stuck on this one. Before you ask, I am 100% sure it is engine oil. I am guessing that by plugging both hoses used in smog/emissions control, I created excessive pressure that either cracked a seal, blew a gasket, or just forced enough pressure to cause fluid to leak around an otherwise good hose clamp.

Any advice or expertise would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've never heard of marbling more than one hose and I've marbled a 1500 Classic FI aND a 1600 Nomad. Can you remove the caps and go from there?

·
Registered
918 Posts
2012 Vulcan 900 Classic with Cobra pipes, BAK, Fi2000 fuel module, and LED bulbs. Everything else modified is cosmetic.

Background: Since I bought my bike used about 1500 miles ago, it has popped horribly on decel, to the point I feel I am causing people with PTSD to have a panic attack. Seriously, it sounds like gunfire.

So yesterday morning I traced both hoses from the air box to the engine heads to verify nothing wierd is going on. Plugged both hoses with electrical caps (1 was slightly larger than the other). I started the bike while still in the garage, it started just fine, purred like normal and when I revved it no popping. So far so good. I rode it about 15 miles. When I stopped, I noticed oil had been "sprayed" all over the front of the bike and on my left leg & foot. I figured out oil was leaking from somewhere ABOVE the radiator fan, dripping down onto the radiator fan or the radiator, and the fan was spraying the oil onto the bike (and me). I did my best to clean up all the oil, I tightened all the hose clamps I could find (none were loose), but I could not pinpoint the source of the leak.

I then went on another short 15 mile ride and this time I had to stop because my left leg started to get soaked and the bike was getting hot, AND the fan was running while cruising around 60mph... I figured I was running too low on oil. Same thing as before, oil everywhere on the bottom and front of the bike, and my left leg was soaked. I say left leg because the fan rotates in that direction so it makes sense. I had to get the bike towed and now its in the shop.

I want to know if anyone else has experienced this or can provide any insight. I am pretty good with figuring out issues and fixing them, but I am stuck on this one. Before you ask, I am 100% sure it is engine oil. I am guessing that by plugging both hoses used in smog/emissions control, I created excessive pressure that either cracked a seal, blew a gasket, or just forced enough pressure to cause fluid to leak around an otherwise good hose clamp.

Any advice or expertise would be greatly appreciated!
Sounds like you may have plugged the crank case breather tube, check your air filter box for oil. Only 1 hose is used for marbling. Only bike I have plugged the emissions stuff on was a VN750. It had a reed valve per head. I believe both heads on the 900 are tied together for emissions.

Can you tell us what other hose you plugged? Only hose to plug comes off the top of air filter box.

Watch this video!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe your right about both heads being tied together for emissions, both hoses route to the tops of the heads, 1 goes to the front side on both heads and the other goes to the back side of both heads. There are only 2 hoses coming out of my air box, and I plugged both, so it sounds like I need to unplug the bottom one. Ill update this once I get my bike back from the shop.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I believe your right about both heads being tied together for emissions, both hoses route to the tops of the heads, 1 goes to the front side on both heads and the other goes to the back side of both heads. There are only 2 hoses coming out of my air box, and I plugged both, so it sounds like I need to unplug the bottom one. Ill update this once I get my bike back from the shop.
The one on the bottom may very well be for the crank case breather. If that was blocked, it would explain the oil spraying. The pressure built up too much in the crank case and the oil found the weakest point to escape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts