Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This adventure started 4 weeks ago.
The main 30 amp fuse blew. I checked the wiring under the tank and found no problems.
Off to the dealer it went. They put a fuse in and could find no problems with the bike. Because of this they put in a new wiring harness under warranty. I picked it up an put about 600 miles on it and the main fuse blew again.
when I got it home I installed fuses on the wires that come back from the ignition switch. A 5 amp fuse on the gray wire, 10 amp fuse on the white with blue stripe, and a 20 amp fuse on the brown wire. My hopes were that one of these fuses would blow before the main and narrow down the problem.

To figure out what size fuses I needed, I disconnected the voltage regulators and ran the bike solely on the battery. The following was the out come.
gray pulled 0 amps
white/blue stripe 6 amps
brown 16amps
I hooked the voltage regulators back up on completion of this test and had 14.1 volts with the bike running and all lights and radio on.

The bike died this weekend. The starter solenoid melted down and welded to the plug and none of the fuses blew. The mechanic at my dealer sat down with me and we looked over the electrical prints for this bike. We discovered the at the starter solenoid there are two white wires that leave but only one is fused. One of these wires is unfused and feeds fuses on the main fuse blocks and is tied into the #1 voltage regulator. The other wire is fused at 30 amps (main fuse) and runs to the ignition switch with the brown wire tied to the #2 voltage regulator.
Right now we are not sure if the melted starter solenoid is a cause or a symptom. The mechanic suspects a grounded voltage regulator, but he is going to confer with Kawasaki hot line.
I will up date as this proceeds further.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Was only asking because once you find the problem, may help others if it turns up on thier bike. Have my 2012 Voyager in shop now because of a problem cutting out at low RPM.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To finish up this thread it turns out to be simple. The last time that I had a problem the starter solenoid had melted down. This part has the 30 amp main fuse mounted in it. That was the problem the hole time. I have put 1600 miles on this bike since and have had no problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts