Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the the OEM with a magnetic plug. I put a computer magnet on the outside of the OEM but would rather have a purpose made unit. :nerd:

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Take your drain plug to the auto parts store,and ask for a magnetic drain plug for a Toyota ? Then match it with yours.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
:surprise: WOW, they must really like their Oil drain plugs. $34.95 is a bit steep and too rich for my money especially if there are Magnetic Oil drain plugs available at a fraction of that price :grin2:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Outlaw-Racing-Magnetic-Kawasaki-Motorcycle/dp/B00AWEOY9C[/ame]

It may not be as fancy as the Dimple kind but it should do the trick :wink2:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Another option is to put one of those powerful neodymium magnets on your oil filter. That way the particles go with your old filter when you change it. I used a 20mm x 3mm button on top for a while. Never came off without me forcing it.

What surprised me the most was some of the small black stone chips in the road must have had a high iron content because they wanted to stick to it.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I’ve got a dimed sized rare earth magnet on the end of both my bikes filters. They sometimes pick up some pad/rotor dust, over time.
If you’re buying any of those EBay Chinese CNC plugs, check to make sure that magnet is tight fitting and not going to come out, before you use it, or you might be in a world of hurt!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I wouldn't bother with a magnetic drain plug or putting magnets on the oil filter, neither are really effective. See the two videos below from a mechanical engineer for more info (note: some salty language so may be NSFW. Also each are a bit over 20 mins long so grab a drink and enjoy... :smile2:).

·
Registered
902 Posts
Some manufacturers of commercial equipment have used these OEM, from the factory. Most auto transmissions already have them in the pan and 4x4 transfer cases as well. Racing teams use them also. Most times it’s for inspection purposes to tell if wear is acceptable in an assembly. Realistically, your filter should be doing it’s job of catching that stuff. If you are finding a lot of debris on the magnet, the recommendation is to change your filter or try an alternate “better” filter. If you change your oil & filter regularly, I wouldn’t worry about it. Worst case scenario is, IMO, it’s a waste of money. I call bs on that it does any harm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts