Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that the Vulcan ECU is designed to maintain a 14.7 to 1 air-fuel ration, this is good for emissions
Better performance can be achieved with a 13.8 to 1
Lots of techo stuff to substantiate this, however to keep things simple, take it as read
Many use the Power Commanders to achieve this
I discovered a less expensive, simpler & more easily adjusted
The ECU uses a number of parameters to control the fueling - there are 2 that can easily "adjusted"
Firstly the Air temperature - the sensor is fitted to the airbox, directly beneath the ECU - the colder the air the "richer" the fueling to compensate - however the ECU will correct until the )2 sensor sees 14.7
Now if the air temperature sensor is "spoofed" down by a few degrees & a small millivolt signal is injected "spoofed" into the O2 sensor - the ECU will adjust the fuellg to that magic 13.8
All the other characteristics of the ECU will remain the same, except that the bike would have a 10% (at least) more power & better rideability
I used the Magna Dyna Boost on my Husqvarna Terra 650 (notoriously back fueling) for significant improvement
Immediately I purchased my Vulcan, I fitted the Arrow exhaust & the Dyna-Boost

·
Registered
653 Posts
Thanks for the post.

What adjustments are able to be made and how are these adjustments measured in terms of output.
Ultimately you would need a dyno to measure the difference to achieve any confirmed gain right? There in lies way more cost than the sum of the parts bought.

I saw the results Motorsport Landskrona showed after installing a through exhaust with a dyno'd PCV and in my opinion the gains vs cost didn't exactly blow me away.
I've often thought it may be easier just to see if a Ninja 650 engine/ecu swap-out was compatible for better results.
But with the increase in power come the required increase in braking performance. More cost again.

I do like the other mod you've ventured into though, with upgraded shocks for better handling.
If I wanted to go fast in a straight boring line where little driving input was required, I'd catch a train. :)

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd done all the dyno tests when l was sorting my TR 650 out
As my bike is only 250klms old, not yet to the point were l want to run performance dyno tests
However, the unit is fitted, there's only one single adjusting screw, turn 0-30 clockwise turns to increase fueling, initially one turn at a time, then micrometer like adjustment - from what l understand it's a variable resistor, that both increases resistance on one side & reduces on the other
The units look like something l'd make in my workshop, however they are sophisticated in their simplicity
Seat of the pants feel from me, very inexpensive performance/rideability gain
I rode less than 50klms from dealer to home, fitted exhaust & Dyna-boost out to Wallacia & return - not sufficient time to evaluate
Really need 1,000klms to gain real understanding - Sydney weather permitting

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You won't be disapointed
Just take your time with the installation
& then only increase by one turn of the screw at a time between rides - very easy to over do it, performance will go down & fuel consumption will go back up
Oh yes, I found on my TR650 that fuel consumption improved - until I started to use the extra power !!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts