Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my new bike - but tomorrow I and riding a 2001 Harley Fat Boy. Guy I know wants to sell it - anything wrong with having 2 bikes? What should I look for other than the sound? You know what I mean. As much as I love my 900 a Harley sounds like nothing else on the planet.

Talk me down off the ledge or join me. :)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Air cooled engine, carburetor, choke, weak electrical system. Harley V-TWINS notoriously run hot because of the simplistic design of their engines.Single overhead cam with two pistons going up and down at the same time have a tremendous amount of vibration and chug. They have no counterbalancer and are inherently shaky. It is also part of they're mystique and allure. They frequently require rebuilds as components tend to get fried from the extreme heat. Harley enthusiasts have been begging for liquid cooled engines for quite some time, enhancing longevity. It doesn't appear to be in the cards for your 01 FATBOY, How many miles?
You are aware that our 900's are a single crankpin engine, thus, with proper pipes, the Harley "chug" is definitely attainable at a fraction of the cost of the Fatboy.
That being said, if you have the money, why the heck not?
You'll certainly get invited to more "Harley only parties"
Having owned a 1976 flh (that promptly got stolen) I can attest to the fact that there is a special feeling unlike no other on a Harley. It isn't easily defined, but it is true. It's a certain respect unlike no other.....whether it is begrudgingly given or not.....

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I'm with the others, if the cash is there, grab it! I have 2 bikes and it's great, hell, if I had the money I'd have one of every bike:D

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
My wife would ask me why two bikes.....hmmmmm, I have a habit of doing what I want then paying the price later. I even looked at a blue 83 Yama Venture Touring yesterday just because I used to have one a long time ago. If you got the $$, I would say get the bike, try it, and then you will know which ride you like better. Do not get rid of the Kawi yet, you may want to get back to it, ya?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Having a Harley as a spare to a Vulcan... now there's a concept!!!

·
Registered
941 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I find some of the comments interesting. There is the Harley mystique that seems to make us all "come out of the closet" now and then.

We talk about how much you have to work on them but someone also mentioned a "certain respect" one gets riding a Harley. I know what you mean. Heck, I hear them coming and turn to look. I pass them on the road and the riders acknowledge my existence and it feels good.

When I decided to buy a bike my first trip was the local Harley shop but confronted with the thought of a $21K+ motorcycle - it sent me right out the door.

A month later and some education on all types of bikes, especially Harleys, and being back on one for the first time in 35 years (1000 miles on the new ride) I feel like a more educated consumer. At this point I can't say I would make the same decision if I had it to make today.

One thing pushing this is the max gross vehicle weight of my 900. I am not a small person and neither is my girlfriend. Together we exceed the max and that's before adding gear for a weekend trip. And weekend trips is why I bought a bike.

So, I am having a blast on my new bike. But my new bike is not going to be able to handle the load for the very purpose for which it was bought. I never thought about it - the bike looked big to me, and I see couples bigger than us on loaded down bikes.

Anyway, thanks for your replies.

And I didn't go ride the Fat Boy. After some research I found that it's GVW wasn't high enough. But that bike does have FI, not a carb. In 2001 you could have it either way.

I would like your feedback. I'm not trying to stir up a mess - just "venting" I guess.

·
Registered
94 Posts
A friend of mine has 7 bikes. A Harley, a Tracker, a 650 VStrom and several others. I think it's great. I'm going to get a VStrom some day too, if I can afford it. Bikes are like tools. Each one has a special purpose, get all you can brother.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Harley's do have a way of stirring up a conversation. I'm retiring in 1792 days and I've told a few people I'll buy my Harley then. The truth of the matter is that if a few things don't change on them, I'll get something else. My rides have to please me and no one else but me and my passanger. I hope to hang onto the 900 for a long time (I really, really like this bike), but will eventually get a second or maybe even a third ride. Who cares.. I may just stay with one, but I would like a bigger bike for the longer trips and one for just bombing around town. What I don't want is an air cooled two wheeled vibrator which costs $135+ for an oil change. If Harley changes to meet my needs, then I'll go for it and if not... then I won't!!! Too many people put stock in what they ride as opposed to the quality of the ride they get from thier machine. For me it's the feeling I get when I'm out there on the road with my bike. Farkle foo-foo is just the added bonus when It's parked in the garage... Long Live Chrome!!!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Air cooled engine, carburetor, choke, weak electrical system. Harley V-TWINS notoriously run hot because of the simplistic design of their engines.Single overhead cam with two pistons going up and down at the same time have a tremendous amount of vibration and chug. They have no counterbalancer and are inherently shaky. It is also part of they're mystique and allure. They frequently require rebuilds as components tend to get fried from the extreme heat. Harley enthusiasts have been begging for liquid cooled engines for quite some time, enhancing longevity. It doesn't appear to be in the cards for your 01 FATBOY, How many miles?
You are aware that our 900's are a single crankpin engine, thus, with proper pipes, the Harley "chug" is definitely attainable at a fraction of the cost of the Fatboy.
That being said, if you have the money, why the heck not?
You'll certainly get invited to more "Harley only parties"
Having owned a 1976 flh (that promptly got stolen) I can attest to the fact that there is a special feeling unlike no other on a Harley. It isn't easily defined, but it is true. It's a certain respect unlike no other.....whether it is begrudgingly given or not.....
01 models had FI, fwiw.

Also, I'd be surprised if HD isn't forced to go the liquid cooled route in the near future.

Emission standards would be the reason.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am a big fan of Victory bikes! Not sure if they have the same maintenance issues but, for me, they are more beautiful than the Harley bikes. A Vegas Low will be my gift to myself when I graduate from my degree program in 3 years!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My local dealer sells Victory and that is a serious consideration. They have some beautiful bikes and I wouldn't mind rolling up somewhere on one of those.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'd like a Victory too, more so than a Harley in fact. And I live only sixty miles from Polaris.

But like Harley, their price is to much for me.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I love the sound of my neighbor's HD. The sound is a lot different, to average joe, he wouldn't know, but for a guy that can say "Hey that's a ford 4.6" or "that's a Chevy LSx engine" or "That's an old sbc" just from the sound of it, a metric cruiser can't come to the sound of a HD. Close, but still not the same. I think it has to do with the level of refinement and stuff, as it has a broader market appeal than the rough around the edges guys who like a vibrating lump of iron under the fuel tank.

A HD would be cool to have, but I already have a cruier (vn900). I miss my 650R, so if I were to get a second bike, I'd take the 650R as well. Maybe the naked version with the 650R analog gauges and a dual 4" headlight kit as the headlights on that are butt ugly, although I love seeing the mechanicals from the side.

...or a Buell, Ducati, MV Agusta...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Check out the 09 Indian guys/ladies. Some of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts