Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of bags or other types of luggage have you installed on your bike? I am trying to decide what to do but I am looking for a solution that will not make the bike look like a standard cruiser. I love the look of the bike and want to get something unobtrusive or removable. Post pictures if you have them! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I went with one of the Biker's Friend bags. Its a bit pricey but worth it IMO. I talked about it a bit in a previous post I'll try and link to.
Only pictures I have of it without the saddlebags on also are here : http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/130-vulcan-650-s/186593-luggage-5.html#post2223441
I think that should permalink right the the post, if not its # 45 of 56 in the Luggage thread from 2015.
Since then I got saddlebags just to have constant storage options and use the Biker's Friend bag more as an extra for when I'm going on a trip or just want to use the backrest.

If you want to see what it looks like saddlebags and all let me know and I'll dig some up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My review of Viking Bags. Wife loves them. Went through the hurricane last October and everything stayed dry inside.

Reactions: Cobue

·
Registered
322 Posts
Zandar:

I put a set of Viking medium bags on our Vulcan S this summer; did a review video and sent it to Viking. Here's the YouTube link.

https://youtu.be/MlNk8wfkTX8

The way I install these I can remove them in about 15 minutes and put the side plates back on & you'd never know there were bags on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Vulcan S - Kriega & SW Motech Legend Gear

Hi all,

Thought I'd post to this thread, particularly as I struggled to find anything definitive before I bought the gear. To give you some background, I regularly commute 2-3 hours to Sydney and then often stay for a long weekend. I wanted my bike set up to carry the necessities, change of clothes, but not sacrifice too much in terms of looks, style and performance.

I found a few aftermarket offerings for panniers & luggage for the Vulcan S, but struggled to find anything a) I liked aesthetically and b) wasn't obscenely expensive. I like the style of the bike, and don't really want anything to look too out of place. I also wanted something relatively modular that I could expand and contract as I needed it, depending on where was I was going, what I wanted to carry etc.

In the end, I settled for a combination of Kriega dry bags/accessories and SW Motech Legend pannier and rack systems.

The Kriega bags are pricey here in Oz, in excess of 100 dollary-doos, for anythng above 10L capacity. However, their modular nature, including their strength and durability won me over...And ultimately, smaller capacity is cheaper, which means you have to carry less :laugh2:....I settled on Kriega's US-10 & US-20 tailpacks, with the tank carrying kit. Total cost was about AUD 345 incl. shipping. As I said, pricey for what amounts to 30L of dry storage BUT I have been impressed thus far and have ridden with them in some pretty challenging conditions. The securing loops attach to the rear frame of the Vulcan S (plastic needs to be removed) and they're fairly inconspicuous when you're riding without the bag. I've typically been riding with the US-10 on the tank (wet weather gear + tool kit) and the US-20 on the pillion seat with the majority of my gear. You can fit lots in and largely forget they're there if secured properly (Caveat: I often ride with a Knox Studio Rucksack with my laptop etc. I find that the US-20, when full, can interfere with the backpack, making for an uncomfortable forward leaning ride...It's probably a function of the backpack/tailpack/cruiser seating position, but worth noting as a deal-breaker on longer rides). I plan on getting a US-5 (for the tank) and an additional US-10 to mount side by side with the US-10 & US-20 on the tail, giving me tonnes of flexibility for short rides or longer stretches...Also, the missus now wants a US-30 for her SV650 :wink2:

The SW Motech bags were a more difficult choice, partially because of the outlay and also because of a stigma I seem to have developed towards panniers. I've avoided panniers on this bike for fear of ruining it's lines, but having had them before on previously-owned bikes, I know how practical they can be. Options for the Vulcan S seemed limited (probably due to the relative youth of the model) and seemed to either emulate classic big bore cruiser designs i.e. all leather, big and bulky, or super plastic-y looking. Neither option appealed to me. Eventually, I stumbled on the SW Motech Legend Gear line. German-manufactured, and a bit of a hipster-throwback motif targeting high-end scrambler riders, they were the first option I found that seemed to manufacture kits I liked, specifically for the Vulcan S. After doing my research, I realised the best way to fit their panniers was by buying a model-specific rack (The rack requires some drilling of plastic to fit. DON'T PANIC - They ship with thorough instructions that even a pleb like me managed to get through, drilling only a single incorrect hole...You can barely notice it :crying2:. They do offer a seat throw-over accessory also BUT it is not recommended for the Vulcan...Having seen photos of it fitted, I'm inclined to agree, even though it is a bit cheaper). In Oz, SW Motech is sold by Motorrad Garage in WA. Google them - They were excellent and very easy to deal with. SW Motech/Motorrad Garage sells each item individually, to allow customisation of your package, but then ships together to minimise cost. I elected for the SLC side carriers for the Vulcan S, and once delivered and fitted, i purchased the Legend Gear LC1 Saddlebag 9.8L for the left and right sides. Total cost for the SLC Carriers + Bags was AUD 750 plus shipping :crying2:...Very, very pricey for soft panniers. That being said, after fitting them, I've extremely happy with the look. They are easily removed from the rack with a single button press and come with a waterproof bag inside. They aren't as secure or as durable as a hard pannier or even some other brands, but the Vulcan S' rear fender makes a lot of those other product difficult to mount. Actually, I ended up buying the 9.8L bags as I was concerned that the 13.5L bags would rub on the rear disk on the right hand side, or somehow interfere with the chain if overloaded. Overall, despite the price, I love the look and think they add to the bike.

With the Kriega Bags (US-10 + US-20) plus the SW Motech Legend Panniers 9.8L (x 2), I have close to 50L of available storage and can increase/decrease available space as my requirements and means allow. As an aside, on the front, I have a Ram mount for my phone and a Vista Universal throttle lock to save the wrist on the freeway.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I finally solved my luggage conundrum. My solution is a Hepco and Becker Solorack and a Givi Monolock 30L case. The case is quick release, very easy to remove. It just snaps in. No saddlebags! Yes!!! :grin2: Here are some pics.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Well, I finally solved my luggage conundrum. My solution is a Hepco and Becker Solorack and a Givi Monolock 30L case. The case is quick release, very easy to remove. It just snaps in. No saddlebags! Yes!!! :grin2: Here are some pics.
Good choice.
The Kawasaki solo rack would never work the way it curves with the fender.

My Viking bags have seen better days after riding to work every day and overloading them with 6 pack beer runs.
I have thought about doing a setup similar to yours using this. Theres a part of me that wants to buy it now, fighting with another part of me that says I already have bags that work well enough.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good choice.
The Kawasaki solo rack would never work the way it curves with the fender.

My Viking bags have seen better days after riding to work every day and overloading them with 6 pack beer runs.
I have thought about doing a setup similar to yours using this. Theres a part of me that wants to buy it now, fighting with another part of me that says I already have bags that work well enough.
Yeah... the Kawasaki rack did not seem very useful. With the H & B, you open up your options. The case you like looks pretty rugged, it should last a while. Probably longer than the bags.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts