Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So, I've been thinking about a trunk for my VN900 Classic. Can anybody give me some information on these?

Preferred size, cost, how to mount them, attached back rest, etc.

I know I need to get a back rack first before I can mount them. Currently I have a aftermarket sissy bar but can remove it depending on the trunk.

Thank you,
Shawn

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I have the Mutazu trunk. I should have gotten a HD trunk. The only reason being is my laptop doesn't quite fit it. I have to wedge it in and it will barely close. I might get an HD sometime this winter.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By HD, do you mean Harley Davidson? Are those universal and would mount to any luggage rack?

Shawn

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just tried to send a message to that person, but the email said Romans 5.8 doesn't exist.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I just tried to send a message to that person, but the email said Romans 5.8 doesn't exist.
It is "Romans5.8" not Romans (space)5.8. That space is probably giving you the problems.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I actually have a clone of Harley-Davidson tour pak. Much much bigger than any of the aftermarket options (including the one referenced above). It does have a wraparound backrest similar to the one listed above, and my wife LOVES it.

Advantages of the Harley Tour-Pak:

1) There are tons of accessories made specially for it. Lights, chrome trim, organizers, liners, speakers, you name it.

2) It's enourmous. Bigger than any aftermarket trunk that I am aware of. I also think it looks best too.

3) Side opening, which makes it easier to load and unload stuff.

Disadvantagess:

1) One of the more expensive trunks. Around $800 from Harley, or in the $300~$500 range for the various clones (I have a clone!) or used.

2) Must be custom mounted

So on to the question about mounting, no, it won't go on a luggage rack with sissy bar. Too big. Mine is mounted to a custom made bracket that I didn't make (I was lucky enough to get it from another 900 owner who had already made the bracket!)

Another option is a wompus rack: http://www.wompusracks.com/kawasaki-rack.html

Basically, it's a flat metal heavy duty rack. Bolt that to your bike, then place the tourpak on top with your most typical passenger on board. Adjust it so that they are comfortable with the backrest, then mark it. The tour pak will have holes in the bottom (where it mounts to the OEM Harley mount on a Harley FLH model), use a pencil or something and make your marks through there. Make sure it's level and lined up. Drill the holes on the wompus rack, then just bolt the tourpak up!

Mutazu has a clone:

http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?cat_id=119&menu=Harley Davidson Parts&product_id=402&s=prod.php

But it's about $500 with shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-HARLEY-TOUR-PACK-PAK-TOURPACK-TOURPAK-BACKREST-2ND-/300725200418?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item46049e6622&vxp=mtr

This is the exact one I have. Occasionally he has them listed cheaper. Another option, is to find a used 'real' Harley tour pak on eBay.

The tour paks come highly recommended by me. Best mod I have other than my seat. It's huge, it looks great, and the accessories available are awesome.

Here it is on my 900. Hard bags should come in soon. Then it won't look so silly with my soft bags :p

Edit: If you decide to do the wompus rack mount send me a PM. I've got one sitting in a closet (it's been drilled already, but, you won't see it under the tour pak!). Shipping might be high but we could make a deal on it I'm sure. I've got the 'classic' version that mounts to the side rails (not just the sissy bar mount)

If you have more questions or want more pictures let me know. Those LED's were installed by the previous owner. Eventually I'm going to take them off and put the actual Harley tail-lights on the trunk.

All in all it's a bit of an investment to go the HD route but it's a well worth it invesment. It looks good, the backrest is ultra-comfy, you have limitless storage (you wouldn't believe the stuff I carry, just all the time, in that thing. And it STILL holds TWO full face helmets in there ALONG WITH rain gear and a handful of other things), and again, the accessories available really make it worth it.

One final tip, if you go that route, keep it locked. Harley guys often complain about the hinges stressing and breaking on those tour paks. By locking it, the lock itself will 'brace' the lid and keep the stress of the hinges. Mine is always locked, for that reason. I only unlock it when I open it. ALWAYS locked when I'm riding.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That trunk is 24 x 19 x 13. Amazing! Thank you for the information Romans. That would certainly hold anything I had to put in there for sure.

Thank you,
Shawn

·
Registered
450 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Yeah it's big.

Here's an 'interior shot';

Oh, and no, the pink flip flops aren't mine, those are the wifes! :p

Only have a few things in there right now but, that thing will fit just about anything you could want to carry. Plus there are several luggage racks available that bolt to the top that increase it further.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yeah it's big.

Here's an 'interior shot';

Oh, and no, the pink flip flops aren't mine, those are the wifes! :p

Only have a few things in there right now but, that thing will fit just about anything you could want to carry. Plus there are several luggage racks available that bolt to the top that increase it further.
Holly big trunk batman...err Romans... Question, do you have problems with the bike handling at highway speed with that big thing on the back? My Honda St 1100 had a big ole tour box on the back and man o man after 60-65 MPH wind would throw me around at times with that "sail" on the back up high and all...
thanks!
great pics

1 - 20 of 68 Posts