Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all fellow V2K owners!
I have recently acquired my own ’04 V2K with some history and love it. I am starting to set it up more to my liking. It already has a number of upgrades but none are for any storage. I have been looking through the forums here (lots of good info), dealers and online at the options available. I will be getting a set of bags soon, just need to decide. Stopped by a dealer and they had the factory bag mounts in stock! Just a little dust :D And they wanted to get rid of them!

Where I am having the hardest time is finding a luggage rack that will work with the already installed Kawi sissy bar/back rest. I am wanting to have the option to add a rear bag of some kind (More decisions later) on the longer trips and a quick place to put some items as this bike is a daily driver as well. I like the look of the current set up as it is and don’t really want to change the whole set up just to get a rack. I did find a few pics of the Kawi rack and it looks too high and small. And I have yet to find availability. Anyone using one of these racks? Is it worth tracking one down? Or better yet,where can I look for racks that fit this set up? I find many but none show to fit. Am I just looking in the wrong places?

I am sure someone else has run into this sometime in the past….Please bestow upon me some of the forums all knowing wisdom!!:eek:

·
Registered
43 Posts
The little rack from Kawasaki is the only one that will fit exact, u can find them on ebay for lots of bucks!!!!!!!!!!! There are some being produced for low budget but I ordered one ,, sent it back, got another sent it back due to poor quality chrome,, good luck, post if u find a high quality after mkt..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The little rack from Kawasaki is the only one that will fit exact, u can find them on ebay for lots of bucks!!!!!!!!!!! There are some being produced for low budget but I ordered one ,, sent it back, got another sent it back due to poor quality chrome,, good luck, post if u find a high quality after mkt..
Thank you Curmudgeonry for the info. I had a feeling that might be the case. Indeed good to watch out for those budget models. I will keep looking for now and will post if I find a good one. I may have to rethink my set up and if I really want a rack that bad. There are other ways to pack gear!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I did find a cheap aftermarket luggage rack that fits my '06 V2K Classic LT without any mods. But this was 3 years ago and I just can't remember where I got it. If I had to do it again I would go with the Kawi one, I had to get stainless steel support brackets made up for it as it was just too weak to hold much of anything. It started bending after very light loads. The Kawi one is more $$ but much stronger - I would recommend doing that and searching online for a deal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did find a cheap aftermarket luggage rack that fits my '06 V2K Classic LT without any mods. But this was 3 years ago and I just can't remember where I got it. If I had to do it again I would go with the Kawi one, I had to get stainless steel support brackets made up for it as it was just too weak to hold much of anything. It started bending after very light loads. The Kawi one is more $$ but much stronger - I would recommend doing that and searching online for a deal.
Thanks Hockeyref for the info. I'll keep looking and rethink my thoughts about the Kawi one. Something back there would really be handy for me. Appreciate the heads up on the cheap units.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I had to do some searching for mine too. I ended up getting mine from irons in the fire, it was made to work with the sissy bar mounts for the 2000LT. I don't know if the mounts for the regular VN2000 sissy bar are the same or not but if they are it should mount up. This solved the too high and too small problem for me although I now need to relocate my license plate somewhere else. It's built very well and I don't think even a very overloaded pack could come close to bending it.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had to do some searching for mine too. I ended up getting mine from irons in the fire, it was made to work with the sissy bar mounts for the 2000LT. I don't know if the mounts for the regular VN2000 sissy bar are the same or not but if they are it should mount up. This solved the too high and too small problem for me although I now need to relocate my license plate somewhere else. It's built very well and I don't think even a very overloaded pack could come close to bending it.
Thanks bigblockyeti for the info. It is indeed a good looking rack. Looks well built in the picture. Having to move the plate would be no big deal, but it is good to know. I'll check into it some more.

:confused: Does anyone know if this company is still in business? All the searching on the net I have done comes up empty or to a "lost/locked" web site with no information. I can find historical info, but nothing current. It's looking like this option is no more as of today.
Oh well, the search goes on. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
408 Posts
The rack was made my an individual that I found in this forum or another Kawasaki forum. His company has ceased operations, but he did have a little inventory left and still may. His name was Roger and there should be a thread about his products posted back in 2010.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts