Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow riders.

I've been lurking in these forums for several weeks now, and I've found some great advice(fuel gague fix etc.) by reading up.

There's a few topics that seem to just get skipped over, or they're threadkillers(nobody replies after its brought up) One of those topics is finding a luggage rack for my 2007 Vulcan 900. I'm having a really hard time finding a good one that DOESN'T require a sissy bar. I am planning on picking up a corbin seat that has the sissy bar mounts in them, so I don't want anything that is extra in that regard.

So far, I've found Cobra makes a nice product that bolts onto existing sissy bar mounts. Can you just get the mounts and the rack?(I haven't found this available anywhere) To those with the cobra sissy bar, can I just buy the sissy bar , bolt it on and then remove the back rest?

Cobra also used to make a grab rail that uses the same mounting hardware but they seem to have stopped making them, can someone reccomend where I can find them?

Ultimately I'd like to get a Givi trunk mounted to the rack, can someone please reccomend a completely different product?

Saddle bag supports, I'm also considering either the saddleman supports or the cobra, anyone have strong feelings towards or against these for my leather bags?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody has any experience with this? Does everyone just have a sissy bar?

Beuler?.... Beuler?.....

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I got the Kawasaki sissy bar without the optional luggage rack. The only "luggage rack" that i can think of that doesn't attach to a sissy bar is the curved type that mounts directly to the fender. I don't think that's what you're looking for.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a Cobra sissybar/luggage rack for a 900 custum but they should have the same mounts. I had to buy the brackets that bolt to frame with the sissybar (I don't know if there sold separately) and the luggage rack was bought separately. The way the things go together are, on the outside the frame brackets with a through hole, the brackets from the luggage rack are next and they also have a through hole. The sissybar is on the inside (last) and has a threaded hole. All you would have to do to remove the sissybar is to unscrew 4 bolts, remove sissybar and replace sissybar with 4 of the appropriate size nuts and bolt the thing back together. I looked at mine, should be simple, the only problems is you may have to pay for the sissybar that you don't need. Maybe Cobra sells replacement parts and would sell the frame brackets without the sissybar, it's worth a call.

PS, Cobra makes nice stuff, so I'd give it a thumbs up if your interested.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been looking all over for the same thing, I've an se and want to keep it as clean looking as possible, but would like a small rack I can tie a bag to. Figure I'm just going to have to have something made.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Sure, you can get the set up your talking about, check out the Custom World international line. You can buy the mounts seperate then buy a rack, just have to use some spacers where the sissy bar would normaly be mounted. I have this set up and sometimes I use the sissy bar sometimes not. I'l go and change it over and take some pics to show what I did to make it work.

Here ya go, the last one shows the spacers I used, stainless steel hex nuts polished up to a shine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Richard Kerr,

THAT is almost exactly the kind of setup I've been looking for!

Thank you very much for letting us know AND posting pictures too!:)

I'm planning on putting a trunk on the rack(a large-ish) would you say its

sturdy enough to handle that + luggage?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Luggage Rack for 900 Classic/LT

Hello fellow riders.

I've been lurking in these forums for several weeks now, and I've found some great advice(fuel gague fix etc.) by reading up.

There's a few topics that seem to just get skipped over, or they're threadkillers(nobody replies after its brought up) One of those topics is finding a luggage rack for my 2007 Vulcan 900. I'm having a really hard time finding a good one that DOESN'T require a sissy bar. I am planning on picking up a corbin seat that has the sissy bar mounts in them, so I don't want anything that is extra in that regard.

So far, I've found Cobra makes a nice product that bolts onto existing sissy bar mounts. Can you just get the mounts and the rack?(I haven't found this available anywhere) To those with the cobra sissy bar, can I just buy the sissy bar , bolt it on and then remove the back rest?

Cobra also used to make a grab rail that uses the same mounting hardware but they seem to have stopped making them, can someone reccomend where I can find them?

Ultimately I'd like to get a Givi trunk mounted to the rack, can someone please reccomend a completely different product?

Saddle bag supports, I'm also considering either the saddleman supports or the cobra, anyone have strong feelings towards or against these for my leather bags?

Thanks in advance!
Just noted your thread, good idea and questions, have had several requests for this application, I agree with the mounting using simple good looking spacers, I use chrome round spacers from J&P Cycle. My racks would mount the same way, that is, intended to mount inside the sissybar, but spacers would allow it's use on Customs and Classics. The factory side plates needed for use on a Custom are $69 EACH, (need 2, dah). I'm working on getting side plates cut and bent, then off to chrome for a lot less. Good luck on your project, just gotta love customizing!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
update:

So, I heard back from CWI: http://www.cw-intl.com/eng/home.asp
when I made an inquiry to their "contact us" page, I got a response from:

Valueaccessories.net, here was their response to me:

"You will just need the backrest mounting hardware for your bike and then whichever Custom World Generic luggage rack that you desire. If you are wanting to mount something on the rack, you may want the larger voyager rack. Custom World makes probably the best quality racks around. If you have any questions give us a call at 888 532 0166."

Here were the suggested parts pages from the email:
http://store.valueaccessories.net/backrestssissybarsandpads.aspx
http://store.valueaccessories.net/luggage-2.aspx

I normally shy away from plugging any company or website, but when someone is prompt and is helpful, I have no issue passing it on to others who might find the info useful.

I will probably order these in the next month or so, and post pictures when done.
I hope this thread was helpful to my fellow KV900(non-LT) owners out there who DON'T want a sissy bar for what ever reason they might have.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey, Yak, did get the setup that they recommended? It looks like it is the only rack that I was able to find that can be used without a sissy bar.

I asked in another thread about such setup as I would like to have either no - or removable - sissy bar.

I want to combine it with a large detachable trunk.

Let us know if you got it working and if you can post pictures that would be awesome.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Scootworks has a trunk mount that looks very sturdy, it's designed to be used with out a sissy bar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts