Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to bring up an old topic.

I'm looking for a more unique luggage rack for my 2010 900 LT. I've seen the OEM, cobra etc on eBay and other sites but they're not 100% what I want. I saw a flame rack for the 800 that I really like, but can't find it for a 900:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUGGAGE-RACK-FOR-KAWASAKI-VULCAN-800-VN-CLASSIC-/281369099972?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4182e7bec4&vxp=mtr

In previous threads people recommended this site:
http://ironsinthefire.webs.com/apps/...ts/show/392311

But when I go there now it says the site has been frozen and that the owner should contact the admin --- I'm assuming that means he's out of business?

Any direction or recommendation is appreciated!

G

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Consider carefully what you will be using it for. I contemplated for quite a while before deciding to go with the OEM luggage rack for 2 main reasons.

1) It matches the square chrome steel stock build of the sissy bar perfectly, and does not look like an add on.

and

2) It is very heavy duty and can hold the weight of anything I put on it without issue.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Consider carefully what you will be using it for. I contemplated for quite a while before deciding to go with the OEM luggage rack for 2 main reasons.

1) It matches the square chrome steel stock build of the sissy bar perfectly, and does not look like an add on.

and

2) It is very heavy duty and can hold the weight of anything I put on it without issue.
Thanks for the response. I'm glad you brought that up --- one of the reasons I was contemplating not using OEM (besides looking for something more stylish) was the recommended capacity. The OEM states it's only rated for 5lbs. The Cobra model at least says it's rated for 10. Has that been your experience, or are the Kawaski folks really erring on the side of caution?

G

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Thanks for the response. I'm glad you brought that up --- one of the reasons I was contemplating not using OEM (besides looking for something more stylish) was the recommended capacity. The OEM states it's only rated for 5lbs. The Cobra model at least says it's rated for 10. Has that been your experience, or are the Kawaski folks really erring on the side of caution?

G
I load mine to the max. Here is a pic of the bag/trunk I have on it now, and it usually has both our leather jackets her purse (and you know how much they can get in those purses) and the side pockets are full of tools and such. I would venture to say with the weight of the bag included I on average have 20-30 lbs on it. No issues! Plus with the design of the oem rack it's easy to strap on to. Not cheap tho I understand that of course, but quality is top notch.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rack

I have Hepco and Becker chrome rear rack on my 900 Classic.
Good fit, sturdy and style suit bike I think.
Enrico

·
Registered
578 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had the oe fire and ice luggage rack on the 900 lt we would load up the tour pack with all the stuff the wife needed for a weekend trip al least 20+ lbs and I got the saddle bags worked great I mounted it different running longer chrome mount bolt thr.u fron thee insid out thru rack and than put on budgie nuts on outside this gave me added places to strap to and looked good too
I have the rack I took off when we traded in the 900 for the voyager if your interested send me a pm it's listed in the for sale section at $150

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took this one off my bike (because it doesn't fit a V2K) that the previous owner installed. It looks brand new and I let you have it for $60 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COBRA-FLAT-BACKREST-LUGGAGE-RACK-VULCAN-900-ALL-MODELS-/280562570201?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4152d513d9&vxp=mtr
Davidr, I'd definitely need the mounting dimensions - the ebay link says that particular rack is for Cobra aftermarket sissy bars only; I have the OEM so I'm afraid it wouldn't fit.

I have Hepco and Becker chrome rear rack on my 900 Classic.
Good fit, sturdy and style suit bike I think.
Enrico
Thanks Enrico - I haven't been able to find Hepco and Beckers for a 900 in the U.S. It looks like they carry a few models here for the sportsbikes, but not that one for the 900.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I didn't notice that. I'll get them posted tonight.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have Arch Sissybar with luggage rack from "highway hawk" page 106 in the online catalog. thought it was neat. ther big o small luggage rack to the sissy bar.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Davidr, I'd definitely need the mounting dimensions - the ebay link says that particular rack is for Cobra aftermarket sissy bars only; I have the OEM so I'm afraid it wouldn't fit.
11 1/4" wide at the mount w/ 1 5/8" bolt center lines.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
My personally only like the looks of the OEM or the Cobra with the round stock designs. And another thing to consider is are you going to have a bag on it all the time like mine? If so, looks really don't matter too much, just the payload. All that can be seen on mine is the side braces. But I do like how the bar stock is on mine as well, as it allows me to use various straps in all the right places. More to ponder on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My poor bike is forced to serve as multi-purpose bike. I use it several days a week for commuting back and forth to work. I also take it out for short runs or 50-100 miles. Then sometimes it will go on 250+ mile daytrips on the weekends. All of those I'm not planning on utilizing the rack consistently.

It will come in to play primarily once or twice a month when the wife hops on with me and we'll do an overnight trip, whether that be camping or stopping at some b&b or hotel. As such, I'm thinking that there will be a majority of the time when the entire rack is visible. I could be wrong, though - I could get accustomed to the extra space and keep something on there all the time!

@MidIA900LT - thanks for the offer; I'll give it some thought.
@davidr - I'll do some measuring tonight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts