Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I'm new to the forum, just bought my bike 2 days ago. I am trying to locate a luggage rack that will fit the OEM passenger backrest of a 2004 Vulcan 2000. Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Dude -- I'll post a pic of mine later tonight (I'm at work at the moment) and let you see what it's like. I have a feeling, though, that it was OEM from the get go...

·
Registered
990 Posts
If you have the OEM backrest it should have the holes in it for the luggage rack. FYI, the rack off of the 900s will fit as well. I put a trunk on the V2K and had already purchased the OEM luggage rack for the 900 when I measured the V2K rack and discovered that it would have worked lol....:devil2:

Attachments

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,910 Posts
I bought one 4 or 5 years ago..never even used it.

I'd freaking send it to you for cost of shipping if I even knew were it was. (serious)

I'll try to look for it, but havn't seen it in forever.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DANAD, thanks for the reply and images. I've attached images of my set-up.

My concern is that the mounting holes will not line up with what you've shown in your images. Mine are almost 4.5 in apart. Also the rack would have to be mounted on the inside spacing of the backrest, which is closer to 10.5 in, not the 12 that you show.

Maybe my backrest is not OEM? I thought the it was. It matches dvictorh's set-up, but I just can't seem to find that rack online or through my local dealership.

Thoughts? And thanks again for the help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Good day, about that 900 rack....is it bigger than the OEM for the V2K? I bought a trunk for mine when I go on long rides and find the OEM to be a shade too small for practicality.......but if the 900 will fit perhaps that will open up for a few more options than can be found for aftermarket V2K racks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update

Hey all, thanks for all the great advice on the luggage rack. I still have not found one that fits the original 2004 V2K setup.

However, I have been working directly with Mike from Wompus Bike Racks. What a great guy, go check out his sight. He has been great to work with and is working on a rack that works with this specific set-up.

I'll send another update and photos when this plays itself out,
-jim

·
Registered
990 Posts
Well, that is definitely NOT like any Kawi OEM set up I have seen for the V2K.....:surprise:

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hey TrentonC. I don't think the one for the 900 is any bigger in surface area or length from the sissy bar to the back. It is stronger built as the one I have for my V2K has open bars where the support comes from the sissy bar whereas the one for the 900 has solid sides... My little brother bought that T-Bag "trunk" for his Nomad and it seemed to work well, lots of support. I long for the good old days when I could just throw a bag on the back and piddle off for a ride. Now, with that big tombstone full of luggage on the back I feel like a long haul is really a long haul lol. I am gonna see if I have time to pull the 900 out of storage this week so I will do an accurate comparison of the racks..:nerd:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey all, I received the rack from Wompus Racks today.

It fits perfect. The rack was wrapped, padded and cushioned. There was no way that baby was gonna get a scratch. Shipping was included in the price of rack, no extra charge.

I have to say Mike at Wompus was a pleasure to work with. He is retired, 70 yrs old, and builds these racks by hand as a hobby in his workshop. He now has a template for a rack that fits the 2004 V2K OEM Backrest. I recommend he and his work highly.

Until someone orders another, I have a one of a kind rack, hand made in the USA.

Thank you all for all the help and encouragement you provided.
-jim

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts