Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my new orange and black 900 Custom!! Just wanna ride and ride. What a great bike!
However I live in an area where unfortunately unlocked helmets tend to disappear. I have had several stolen in the last few years. On my previous bike I eventually intalled a sissy bar and a rack with lockable top box big enough for two helmets. It's also great as a shopping basket and of course for touring luggage. Now I'm thinking about doing the same on my Vulcan but don't want to ruin the great looks of its back end by installing an ugly rack / box. Can anyone advise a good rack / box? Perhaps lockable saddle bags may be better but I'm yet to see one wide enough to take a full face helmet.
Thanks.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but IMHO, any bags on the Custom that are large enough for one (or two) full-face helmets are going to "ruin the great looks of the back end".

Could you carry a cable lock and run it through the helmets and then maybe the frame or forks of the Custom when you must leave them with the bike, and not carry them?

I have the same bike, and am reluctant to even put on a windscreen for fear of messing up the lines of the bike. I am still looking for one that can be removed easily, but also be somewhat effective for those longer trips.

I have seen some cool swing arm bags (small, black) that do look good on the Custom . . . but a trunk, not so much for me. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Agree. Without a trunk, you would have lock the helmets. Besides the cable lock (great for full face helmets), there are some good frame attached helmet locks you can check out.

I have the same bike, and am reluctant to even put on a windscreen for fear of messing up the lines of the bike. I am still looking for one that can be removed easily, but also be somewhat effective for those longer trips.
As for the windshield Memphis Shades make a variety of sport shield with quick disconnect systems. My son has a meanstreak and did not want to lose the looks, so he got a MS Speed Demon looks great and he can remove in 5 seconds with a couple of trigger locks.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks bosco, the MS Speed Demon might be the ticket. Do you happen to have a snap of the side view showing the relationship of the shield to the forks and bars?

Gracias

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Thanks bosco, the MS Speed Demon might be the ticket. Do you happen to have a snap of the side view showing the relationship of the shield to the forks and bars?

Gracias
Here you go.... I used to have the same one until I decide to increase the coverage with a Batwing. In these pics I have it adjusted all the way forward, it will tilt back pretty far. Might even be willing to part with it....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Love my new orange and black 900 Custom!! Just wanna ride and ride. What a great bike!
However I live in an area where unfortunately unlocked helmets tend to disappear. I have had several stolen in the last few years. On my previous bike I eventually intalled a sissy bar and a rack with lockable top box big enough for two helmets. It's also great as a shopping basket and of course for touring luggage. Now I'm thinking about doing the same on my Vulcan but don't want to ruin the great looks of its back end by installing an ugly rack / box. Can anyone advise a good rack / box? Perhaps lockable saddle bags may be better but I'm yet to see one wide enough to take a full face helmet.
Thanks.
I am lucky enough to live in an area where helmets and bikes are very seldom messed with. I think the cable lock is the ticket to. Would have to be full face though. Jerks would probably cut your straps to get what would then be a worthless helmet. Either that or move away Jed. Beverly is the place to be.
Hills that is.

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, July 2013
183 Posts
My 08 900 classic had a hook under the seat you could put the D rings on and then lock the seat down. Never used it, but it was their. One of the screws that holds the battery cover on holds the hook.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
My 08 900 classic had a hook under the seat you could put the D rings on and then lock the seat down. Never used it, but it was their. One of the screws that holds the battery cover on holds the hook.
I tried to use this hook, but it's too far underneath the seat. Plus, I don't like having to take the seat off every time to lock the helmet. I either use the trunk, or hang it from the bars. So far, no one seems to bother the bike or the helmets.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I wanted something simple (instead of the under seat one) that would blend in. I also wanted it to be quick and easy while offering the ability to handle all types of helmets without requiring additional hardware such as helmet strap "extenders". I also wanted to have the helmet(s) out of the way and out of site when hung. So I chose a license plate Helmet Lock by Kuryakyn. It works great! You can use the back plate but its not necessary. I have a chrome license plate frame and the black helmet mount. Just the small part. You never notice it as it blends right in. I set it up on the left side (no exhaust pipes) and the helmet sits down low as the bike it titled on it's stand. Unless your looking there your don't even notice the helmet when it's locked! I can easily fit my open face and a full face helmet. It will even take more. Here's a picture.

Denis

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts